Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:42:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is windows for dummies?  (Read 3202 times)
sippsnapp

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 02:00:09 PM

I believe windows is made with the intention to make a pc accessible for everybody so, yeah, its made for dummies.

From the viewpoint of a hacker windows users are 90% dump so they're the main target.

To understand how to protect yourself get to know how hackers infect computers. Mostly they fool people to click some file, sometimes they use "exploit kits", in most of all cases of infection the user interaction is required. 'The most popular way to spread a virus is through downloads, for example somebody downloading the latest game on a torrent site is heavily at risk.

If you really want to use windows i suggest to get familiar with virtualbox or vmware, this way you can access any content without infecting the main machine. You could also setup a linux machine and have windows running inside a virtualbox for example.

If you have a fair amount of coins in the wallet its not a bad idea to have a machine solely for the wallet, this can be a virtualbox or a stand alone pc.

The guys who are really a target are the pool/exchange owners, for a hacker its like breaking a bank.

To steal the wallet a hacker needs to have the password, i think this is the only reason there are not more wallet stealers arround. Protect your password, don't safe it in a obviously place like "my documents".

Πάντα ῥεῖ
Bitcoin + Altcoin node pool setup - pm

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wazp

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 02:59:22 PM

i have windows Roll Eyes
JompinDox

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 04:55:45 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2012, 05:49:33 PM by JompinDox

I use Windows, so does Bill Gates, satoshi, and many other geniuses Smiley

It is actually very easy to secure if you care to read up on basic security practices.

Really, it seems more and more ignorant users just go to MacOS or Linux these days,
without any knowledge of how to secure a computer (no, Linux is not "automagically" secure).

Tips? 1ELECeJompinDox61L73eAUyaWpe3Q5HZB
Down with socks!
Marco Polo

Activity: 29

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:36:42 PM

I like Windows, and i believe its security is just as good as linux(windows 7 and up), but I would never have a wallet with a lot of coins on a windows machine.

Its not that Linux is more secure (imho) but that exploitpacks for Windows is easier to acquire and exploits for browser and other clientside bugs exploited through the browser are released weekly.
Sure many of these bugs exists on both platforms (java, flash, firefox bugs etc) but most ready-to-use exploits are written for windows.

Real hackers can just write exploits for these bugs for Linux, but those guys are not interested in stealing your bitcoins. The "hackers" interested in stealing bitcoins probably has less skills (or no skills) in writing exploits, so they use already released -1 day exploits bundled with some malware they havent written.

Ascholten

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 11:50:02 PM

Security is only as good as the person using it really.  I am reminded of an individual I know who got his computer trashed and when asked WHY he disabled his virus software, said, it kept going off when I went to my favorite site and wouldn't let me in, so I turned it off.  Huh      Here's your sign bud.

You can have a 20 thousand dollar security system on your house but if you don't turn the thing on, it won't help you.     With computers, if you don't update your security when new ways to get in are found, then it won't help you.

Nothing is 100 percent safe but a little prudence from the user goes a LONG way.

Aaron

Bit Visitor      You view the page / ads and get paid. 
Coin Tube    You watch videos and get paid.
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:09:23 PM

I use Windows, so does Bill Gates, satoshi, and many other geniuses Smiley

Love the humility....

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
Rogue

Activity: 52

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:55:03 PM

I run windows with ESET antivirus. Havent had a single virus in over a year now. Not to mention i did some other stuff to make sure the download couldnt be tracked.

I've been running Win7 for about 2 years now and have only had 1 issue with it.
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 05:07:30 PM

Really, it seems more and more ignorant users just go to MacOS or Linux these days,
without any knowledge of how to secure a computer (no, Linux is not "automagically" secure).

Yeah, this is true, I see them every day: Why WinRar doesn't work in Linux?...What do you mean I have to get the Linux version?..Where is Windows media player?...My savegames are not working, my *game isn't  working...I have a DVD with all my favourite programs, none of them is working...
They do not seem to grasp the concept that Linux is a whole different world, and expect to use it the way they used Windows before.

Good thing they always go back to Windows along with the other geniuses  Grin
axus

Activity: 129

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 05:53:40 PM

What you use the computer for is more important than what operating system you have.  If your machine is on the internet 24/7, you are an easier target.  If you load the machine temporarily, much harder to attack.  Every extra program and website you use is that much more risk of picking up something.  Simply joining a bitcoin IRC channel is going to paint a target on the connecting IP address.

Windows has more bot-nets, browser exploits, and weird services that can be a exploited.  But it's a lot easier to use and nags you about firewall, anti-virus, and updates where Linux won't complain if you leave it unpatched.  I think using VPN software is easier to learn in Windows.

If you install every service on Linux, leave it on the network, and don't know how to patch it, you will get hacked just like Windows.  My plan is to use an old laptop with latest software updates for sensitive transactions.  The main trouble here is, if the laptop is hardly used, it is vulnerable while downloading the updates.  But, at least I won't have to download and burn a new LiveCD every month.
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 06:07:57 PM

But, at least I won't have to download and burn a new LiveCD every month.
Use an USB stick.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 06:13:06 PM

Once you get used to Linux you will never want to pay money for a lesser OS.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
axus

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 06:43:15 PM

Once you get used to Linux you will never want to pay money for a lesser OS.

I gotta say, total waste of money to pay money for a new operating system you will only use for Bitcoin.  Even a virtual windows machine would need to buy a license, where you can get linux for free.
squall1066
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 09:32:57 PM

Well things are slightly different from my perspective, I never really knew about Linux atall for a long time in my life, So being around a windows environment I started being quite a avid gamer, Now I know a little about Linux, I can never fully "move" over untill I can play my games on Linux.

Everyone says wine or playonlinux, But I don't find half a day trying to programme my system to play something that is not designed to play on that system, fun!

So I actually use both (different systems, not duel boot) when the higher powers in this world see Bitcoin as more of a threat, There will be (mark my words) Windows developed worms/trojans to steel the wallet.dat to corrupt our little world, So all my Bit coin stuff is behind tor and backup and encripted ......  etc

So I don't think windows is for dummies, Can be quite usefull (and powerfull tool) if you know what to do with it, I think it's more a case of "if the shoe fits" scenario.
axus

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 04:20:02 PM

Well things are slightly different from my perspective, I never really knew about Linux atall for a long time in my life, So being around a windows environment I started being quite a avid gamer, Now I know a little about Linux, I can never fully "move" over untill I can play my games on Linux.

I know you're speaking generally, but for security you probably shouldn't play games on the same system you keep your wallet
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: