Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 03:53:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting write up on M-Disc - the DVD that lasts forever  (Read 3004 times)
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:54:43 PM

Could you use a DVD burner to "draw" a QR code by burning it with the right pattern?  What about write text? 

I would guess a semi-destructive process affecting only the center layer but leaving the polycarbonate coating would be pretty durable.

Is it possible to "burn through" with a DVD burner?
see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightscribe

Very cool, but unfortunately, it looks like its not very durable.

Special storage precautions are necessary to prevent LightScribe discs from fading. HP's LightScribe website warns users to "keep discs away from extreme heat, humidity and direct sunlight", "store them in a cool, dark place", "use polypropylene disc sleeves rather than PVC sleeves", and also notes that "residual chemicals on your fingers could cause discoloration of the label image". Such chemicals include common hand lotions and hair care products.

What shocks me is that people are putting these types of chemicals in their hair! Same thing as Coca Cola eats away at battery corrosion as well as refreshing your thirst!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 07:24:37 AM

interesting to note that private keys small enough to be written by hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rosetta_Stone.JPG

Ps : TLDR
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 09:27:36 AM

Thanks for sharing this! Been looking at archival DVDs for a while
is3cent

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2016, 12:53:24 AM

i have memories coming back from the cassette tape. some memories....

well then it was the cd . soon i found the cd you wrote are pretty scatchable, after thta unusable, good to throw in the trash. lesson learned

the dvd appeared with awesome space to put on one single disc, and hey they were supposed to guarantee 100 years minimum. i said to myself, that's a really big deal, more than my life span from here now on.

after 3 years an untouched most expensive verbatim dvd couldnt be read. it had some precious to me stuff inside, so i took care of him ...   UNTOUCHED

after 3 years of being written couldnt be read by a brand new dvd player (and no it wasn't the - or + type problem, the reason)

i dont trust any disc no more , and i laugh at M-DISC
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: