Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:45:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What do you think of developers / a coin who reduce the total amount of coins to be minted?  (Voting closed: March 05, 2015, 07:20:02 PM)
It reduces availability and increases value. - 2 (8.7%)
It can work for some coins. - 5 (21.7%)
It makes the dev/coin look like a scam. - 16 (69.6%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think of a coin who reduce the total amount of coins being minted?  (Read 1806 times)
krisdavison (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:20:02 PM

This is just to get a feel for the altcoin communities feelings in this issue as it is being discussed in various coins at the moment.

Feel free to post a more detailed answer or suggest more / better options and I'll add them.
krisdavison (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 05:41:46 PM

Thanks for the votes. Would be great to hear your reasons?

Do you think artificially lowering the number of total coins unfairly favours early adopters? Would this stop you investing?
deluxeCITY

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:15:35 PM

This is just to get a feel for the altcoin communities feelings in this issue as it is being discussed in various coins at the moment.

Feel free to post a more detailed answer or suggest more / better options and I'll add them.

I think this is a good idea but not many devs do it as you can see, they seem to like the raising the supply threw POS.

One coin which i know is reducing supply in future is XCP / counterparty and they are introducing smartcontracts that cost XCP each time a contract is made, there is no more xcp to be mined so this coin will become extremely rare.

It is a fair way i guess as if you do not want to make a contract then you do not pay for one, those who do not still benefit from others who will and the reduce in supply should mean the value rising.

cynicSOB

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

yes, sometimes I'm a cynical SOB

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 07:02:43 PM

Do you think artificially lowering the number of total coins unfairly favours early adopters? Would this stop you investing?

Yes and yes.

For more secure coins: 1EqekC9YVhiWLYjG3mfKNJwrf5s3YS46WW
For the lulz:1EqekC9YVhiWLYjG3mfKNJwrf5s3YS46WW
PoS

Activity: 223
Merit: 101

If you can be anything, be kind and fair

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 07:10:29 PM

Darkcoin is one such scam
plopper50

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 10:21:55 PM

I'll go further and say that supply should be dynamically controlled to produce price stability.  The Argus-Nemesis already does this.

What is the Argus-Nemesis? Never heard of it.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 11:45:40 PM

The development of an altcoin should be determined by community consensus ...I feel. Give the people what they want.

Shameless plug >>> https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/goldcoin-the-future-of-digital-currency/x/4815996
MicroGuy
Legendary

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 02:26:34 AM

The development of an altcoin should be determined by community consensus ...I feel. Give the people what they want.

Shameless plug >>> https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/goldcoin-the-future-of-digital-currency/x/4815996

How are you controlling supply?

It's done in the code. If there is a consensus within the community, a coin's developers can adjust the block reward/inflation rules.
nachoig

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 05:04:15 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2015, 05:22:47 PM by nachoig

It favours early adopters, instamines and premines. I think the worst thing you can do with a coin is changing the rules. Lets see some examples:

Darkcoin: It had 2 million of coins mined in 2 days. This would be just ~3% of all supply, at the time, 80 million. But later they decidedd to cut to 21 million. So, who had mined in the first 2 days was prized again. Maybe 3% off al the coin supply days can't be called an instamine, but when they decided to cut the supply, they created an instamine scheme. Also, they changed the scheme of rewarding the masternodes and miners again lately.

Ultracoin: they did this reducing the block reward at the time from 50 to 15. This didn't have any good effect at the price. Anyway, the intention  clearly was to protect early adopters.

Reddcoin: initially was a POW coin. Lately they decided to change to POS. I think this is a way to say: fuck you, miners.

Pandacoin: the same case of Reddcoin. A trick to say they have resistance against ASICs.

Feathercoin: this coin didn't change the supply, but instead the decided to change the algo. They changed the algo to NeoScrypt just to avoid Scrypt ASICs. Changing the rules of mining is really dangerous. They lost a lot of hashing power, turning it more vunerable to a 51% attack. Also, the price dropped. Even worse, they this did only in last October, at a point where Srypt ASICs were already consolidated.

Vertcoin: originally a Scrypt-N coin, lately changed to Lyre2RE when the first Scrypt-N ASICs started to appear. Price dropped hard.

The name of this is cheating. When you enter in the game and you win the game, everything is fine. But when you start to lose the game because the market or mining conditions aren't favorable to you anymore,  you go to change the rules of mining in your favor.

BTW, I'm convinced the promising of ASIC-resistance is a bad idea.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 05:19:23 PM

It's done in the code. If there is a consensus within the community, a coin's developers can adjust the block reward/inflation rules.

How is consensus within the community determined?

Do you plan to change rules in the future?

Great question. I guess it would be determined by the fork. If a developer made a change that was unwelcome, the majority could abandon the new fork rendering the update null.

Goldcoin has no plans to change the coin rules. In my view, changing the rules would not be advantageous now or at any point in the future.
Sir Alpha_goy

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 05:27:10 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 02:51:59 PM by Sir Alpha_goy

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:21:37 AM

Yes. Yes. In addition such action would be considered as sign of a pump and dump.
onemorebtc

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:28:59 AM

Yes. Yes. In addition such action would be considered as sign of a pump and dump.

imagine how scammy this scheme gets if they would also add something that gives out interest when people hoard coins! now the instaminers can slowly offload (drk i am looking at you)

i think that if a coin is published some features should not change or it is like betraying your investors. this includes pow or pos, max coins, time between blocks - everything which changes the money supply or the way coins are generated should be kept fixed (i dont think block size matters though).

if a dev really wants to make a few changes he should just fork his own coin into a new one and initialize it with the blockchain from his original coin. that way his investors can decide which route to follow.

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
Conqueror
Legendary

Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020

I was diagnosed with brain parasite

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 03:39:09 PM

It is a shame voting is closed already.
It is working for some coins (i.e. Gridcoin)
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 05:48:08 PM

Great question. I guess it would be determined by the fork. If a developer made a change that was unwelcome, the majority could abandon the new fork rendering the update null.

Goldcoin has no plans to change the coin rules. In my view, changing the rules would not be advantageous now or at any point in the future.

Says the coin that dropped mining rewards from 500 to 50 lol ironic you are in this thread...

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 02:44:16 AM

LOL says the man who completely controls who is in his coin's community, censoring all those who don't agree  Shocked
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 03:07:02 AM

Says the coin that dropped mining rewards from 500 to 50 lol ironic you are in this thread...

I always assumed microguy was on bitcointalk purely for entertainment purpose  Cool nothing else makes sense.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: