Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 12:03:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory for OS X: Unidentified developer  (Read 1955 times)
BitcoinGirl325 (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:37:57 PM

We'd love to install Armory for OS X, but we don't install apps that come from unidentified developers! Below is a link to the screenshot of the error message we get when trying to install Armory for OS X.

http://imgur.com/PII1Js2

If you enjoyed my post or found it helpful, please feel free to donate BTC to me at: 15UKsghaHeLAtidySEHmPXBWRjBMM1Tw4u
doug_armory

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

Senior Developer - Armory

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 10:49:09 PM

Hello. For now, we don't submit Armory to the App Store, and we haven't felt the need to jump through the hoops Apple requires in order to sign software. Maybe we will in the future. We have a lot of tasks on our plate at the moment.

If you wish, it is possible to turn off Gatekeeper so that you can run Armory. Barring that, you'll need to compile Armory yourself. Even then, I don't recall if Gatekeeper will complain the first time you run it. I think it will.

Senior Developer -  Armory Technologies, Inc.
BitcoinGirl325 (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:54:14 PM

Thanks so much for the information. What sort of hoops does Apple require in order to sign software? Bitcoin Core is signed, so those developers have already jumped through the hoops on their end.

If you enjoyed my post or found it helpful, please feel free to donate BTC to me at: 15UKsghaHeLAtidySEHmPXBWRjBMM1Tw4u
doug_armory

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

Senior Developer - Armory

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 11:16:12 PM

Hi. You can read more about the requirements here. Like I said, it just hasn't been a high enough priority for us. Most of our users are savvy enough to disable Gatekeeper and be comfortable with their decision.

If enough people complain, we'll consider jumping through the hoops. I just can't guarantee anything, especially for the coming months. All of our plates are overflowing, and we're having to use our lunch trays to catch the overflow. (It doesn't help that we try to avoid using the tools Apple recommends, like Xcode.)

All that being said, thank you for your interest. Smiley We do appreciate it.

Senior Developer -  Armory Technologies, Inc.
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 12:07:22 AM

Most of our users are savvy enough to disable Gatekeeper and be comfortable with their decision.

And it should be obvious, if one is really concerned with the quality of the software then they can verify the GPG key (official Armory tutorial video) which will provide superior security compared to relying on the App Store identification process.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 08:17:32 AM

they can verify the GPG key (official Armory tutorial video) which will provide superior security compared to relying on the App Store identification process.

Not so much "superior" security as "known". I'm sure Apple has dozens of SuperSecurity TM features, all 100% opaque in the way they're said to work.

Vires in numeris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: