Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:08:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solved: Multibit 0.4.4 not loading wallet files, but maybe magnet link bug  (Read 1609 times)
stochastic (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:27:16 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2012, 10:08:42 PM by stochastic

I have an encrypted volume that when mounted is loaded to the symlink where multibit looks for the wallet.dat files.  It worked perfectly fine earlier today but now it fails to open my other .dat files that I have.  It only will load the multibit.dat file and skips the others.  When I remove this file multibit crashes.

Has anyone had this problem?

I am using Multibit version 0.4.4

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stochastic (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 10:08:12 PM

It did not seem to be a symlink problem as I did not open Multibit before mounting the encrypted drive.  To fix the problem I just re-opened each of the wallet files through Multibit.

The problem might have been from the bitcoin magnet links.  I was testing out my own earlier in the day and after I closed Multibit it would not load the rest of the wallet files.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 06:10:30 PM

A possible cause of what you are seeing.

How the bitcoin URI code works is that when you click on a link:

1) The OS starts up a multibit instance with the required bitcoin uri as a parameter.
2) As only one copy of multibit runs per machine (see below) the new instance of multibit checks if there is another multibit instance open and, if there is, passes the parameter to that instance and then shuts down. This is done over a socket.
3) The existing instance then deals with the bitcoin URI.

It is possible that in your URI testing you got a copy of multibit running in the background which would give similiar symptoms to what you were experiencing. If you close down any copy of multibit running and look in Task Manager: if there is a java instance running with about 100 MB of memory space running that is most likely a 'lurking' MultiBit. Just kill it.

The reason only one copy of MultiBit runs at a time is that it is frequently writing to your wallets when you get new transactions etc. To avoid nasty filelocking bugs it is simpler to enforce only a single instance running.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
stochastic (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:09:16 PM

A possible cause of what you are seeing.

How the bitcoin URI code works is that when you click on a link:

1) The OS starts up a multibit instance with the required bitcoin uri as a parameter.
2) As only one copy of multibit runs per machine (see below) the new instance of multibit checks if there is another multibit instance open and, if there is, passes the parameter to that instance and then shuts down. This is done over a socket.
3) The existing instance then deals with the bitcoin URI.

It is possible that in your URI testing you got a copy of multibit running in the background which would give similiar symptoms to what you were experiencing. If you close down any copy of multibit running and look in Task Manager: if there is a java instance running with about 100 MB of memory space running that is most likely a 'lurking' MultiBit. Just kill it.

The reason only one copy of MultiBit runs at a time is that it is frequently writing to your wallets when you get new transactions etc. To avoid nasty filelocking bugs it is simpler to enforce only a single instance running.

Yea I think is what most likely happened.  Thanks for the explanation.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: