Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:03:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info is? What is blockchain.info  (Read 1945 times)
CtrlAltBernanke420 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 07:15:23 AM

Yes the wallet service…

What is it….. what EXACTLY is blockchain.info?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 07:41:37 AM

https://blockchain.info is an informational website that displays information from the Bitcoin blockchain, economy and network, such as transaction data, mining statistics, node information.

https://blockchain.info/wallet is a wallet service. It is a browser-based wallet written in Javascript. It is different to some other browser-based wallets such as Coinbase in that you control the private keys to your Bitcoin yourself.

The advantages of this are that blockchain.info is easy to use and requires no setup, and your encrypted wallet is stored on blockchain.info's cloud, so you can access it from any computer and you control your private keys.

The disadvantages to this service is that you are entirely dependant on blockchain.info, if the website is down you will need to install another wallet and import a backup of your blockchain.info wallet in order to spend your BTC, if you did not keep a backup then you would not be able to access your wallet, and blockchain.info is frequently down. Also blockchain.info knows everything about your transactions, while they claim not to store this information, it is still being sent to their servers whenever you use their wallet.

Another disadvantage is while you control your private keys, a change to the code on the blockchain.info website, by malicious staff or by a hacker, could easily steal all your Bitcoins.

Another one is that blockchain.info is written in Javascript, it needs to be in order to work in a browser, and Javascript is not the right tool for cryptography. It is easy for blockchain.info to accidentally introduce a bug that could lead to your private keys being stolen. This happened very recently to blockchain.info and lots of Bitcoin could have been lost, but a good guy managed to use the bug to transfer the BTC out of peoples wallets before a bad guy did and he gave it all back to blockchain.info, preventing the Bitcoins from being stolen.

OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 07:35:37 PM

I had one problem with a blockchain.info wallet, but apparently not the same one as Blazr referred to.  I had a wallet there, but one day I saw that everything had been sent out (this wallet had 2FA "protecting" it).  There was also a "Public Note", instructing me (and many others) to contact blockchain.info.  My wallet and the others who also had BTC sent out all had the same wallet as the receiving (thieving?) wallet.

I did contact them, and after a little back-and-forth (not bad), they told me to open another wallet, with another password and to never use the old one.  I did what they said, and everything then went fine.

I now use blockchain.info wallets only for transactions and mixing (their SharedCoin service).  I also use their "Second Password" feature (look to the "Settings" to find out how to use that).  The second password is used to send money out (or to get another address).  The second password is typed in via a "virtual keyboard" displayed, a little like Trezor's password prompt.  That helps keep the keystroke logging programs at bay.

Blazr knows a lot more than I do.  But, some of blockchain.info's problems do indeed seem to be bugs that they inadvertently introduce when tinkering with their coding.

Still, I have switched over to Ledger and Trezor hardware wallets for larger amounts of BTC I want to keep in cold storage or keep around for larger purchases.  The hardware solutions seem to be much safer.
AnalizeSituation

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:15:25 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2015, 02:31:36 AM by AnalizeSituation

this site eat my energy  Cry
i lost phone and lost a lot addreses in money

Supprt sent 4 or 5 msg same question/answer
answer SLOW 1 TIME IN WEEK  Embarrassed

AND SAY RULES IN SITE

BUT I READ THIS BEFORE THIS WAR YOU BE LOST YOUR TIME/MONEY/ENERGY RESULT TO BACK YOUR MONEY/BITCOINS = 0  Undecided

+ SOME HACKS MAKE TRANSACTIONS IF YOU GENERATE IN THIS SITE SHIT
COZ PEOPLE NOT ALTERNATIVE

THIS MONOPOLY/GOVS CONTROL THIS I SURE 100%
AFTER I MASTURBATION = 0 BTC  Angry

i LOST MY 4 BTC BITCOINS
i cry some night to i trust this service and this site make HYIP IN SIDE WALET AND WHO PAY SOME MONEY THIS MAKE PROMOTIONS VERY DIRTY THINGS I SEE SOME YEARS IN PRACTIC!!!!!  THIS ABSOLUTLEY TRUE

BUT USE ONLINE WALET/WALETS IS BIG MISTAKES AND BIG DRAMATIC SITUATIONS HOW YOU BE YOUR MONEY NO 1 BE GARANTUE YOU GET THIS IN ANY MOMENT SITE DIE OR WRONG ALGORITHM OR ETC.... YOU LOSE YOUR BITCOINS!!!!!

what i grow/earn 3 YEARS! Cry  

i am not recomend coz this hold your money ANY WEB WALET!

MY STORY HOW I LOSE MY 4 BITCOIN

Blockchian.info import/export key [BUT HOW I CREATE THIS SHOW ME WRONG ADDRESS?]

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=971023.0;all

YOU BE MASTURBATIONS/NERVOUS AND YOU LOST ALL YOUR ENERGY/MONEY ETC.....

YOU BE FINAL BROKEN AND NOT MONEY TO DOCTOR PAY TO HOSPITAL HOW YOUR MOTHER DIE SLOW IN HOSPITAL THIS TRAGEDY AND RESULT = I SAY HOW TRUE IN PRACTIC

i open my eyes to late how i lost all
my 500$ and my 4 bitcoins
please trust i say true

a lot people lost money/invests in ONLINE WALLETS

USE AND TRUST ONLY ORIGINAL WALLET.DAT
YOU IMPORT =  NOT PROUBLUM
YOU EXPORT = NOT PROUBLUM

IF SITE DDOS ATACKS OR SOME MAINTAINE YOU NOT ENTER/LOGIN NOT PAY TO PIZA OR PHONE ETC...................

you be jump how Animal but Result = 0 BTC
after you convert your dolars/euros to blockchain this stupid/slow/ very soon die i sure!!!!!

PLEASE NOT RISK
NOT MAKE WRONG STEPS
NOT USE ONLINE WEB SITE TO SAVE/HOLD/FREZE YOUR MONEY

i sure how this creators site be family some die in hospital be some pauze/tragedy and = feal my pain and 3 milions users who get a lot proublums regular WHO USE ONLINE WALETS

i hope life teach this guys in san francisko
stupid corporations pauze/eat your money/energy and you be insult/suicide HOW I AM

i SAY HOW TRUE LIFE HOW BUMERANG I HOPE LIFE TEACH THIS PERSONE NOT MAKE BAD STEPS OR YOU LOSE ALL YOUR MONEY/ENERGY/NERVOUSZ  Roll Eyes  Cry

USE ONLY ORIGINAL WALLET.DAT

use wallet.dat!

original! Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: