Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:14:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Users experiencing the BDM error message  (Read 5720 times)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 04:03:15 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2015, 07:01:22 PM by Carlton Banks

To clarify, there's nothing predictable about this. I thought otherwise earlier, but it was apparent non-random patterns of the bug appearing that turned out to be random as I tested more.

Another quirk with this bug: the progress bars get displayed at different lengths/resolutions for "Armory is offline" and "Bitcoin Engine Initializing" notifications. That's normal behaviour (for my Armory, anyway). The progress bars for "Armory is offline" ordinarily do not fill though, they disappear and are replaced with shorter ones before they fill (alongside "Bitcoin Engine Initializing" notification). It's noticeable, as when this happens "Armory is offline" remains on dash while bitcoind syncs to the top block, and it is only then (when the top block is downloading) do you get to see anything in the progress bar, or a number of remaining blocks. Edit: just witnessed the undisplaced/un-resized progress bar indicate 18 blocks, so scratch that last part  

Vires in numeris
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 12:27:05 PM

Just to update, still getting problems with RPC connection and BDM errors using SDM mode on 93.0.82. The BDM errors are reduced to a rare event, but still occasionally happen (1 so far since testing .82).
I'm fairly sure all/most of these BDM are false positives, as the BDM reports zero problems on subsequent runs whether you re-build Db or not. It'd be good to hear ATI's opinion on that. I'm fairly certain that the old Armory Db would fail deterministically once an error was detected.

Vires in numeris
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 05:05:51 PM

Just to update, still getting problems with RPC connection and BDM errors using SDM mode on 93.0.82. The BDM errors are reduced to a rare event, but still occasionally happen (1 so far since testing .82).
I'm fairly sure all/most of these BDM are false positives, as the BDM reports zero problems on subsequent runs whether you re-build Db or not. It'd be good to hear ATI's opinion on that. I'm fairly certain that the old Armory Db would fail deterministically once an error was detected.

I think we're not gonna touch the RPC comm layer any furter for now. It needs to be reworked to a certain extend and that's too disruptive for the class of fixes we are aiming to ship in this version. I personally think the remaining RPC errors aren't deal breakers, and that our users will have the good grace to endure them until I come up with a rework of that 2 years old code (instead of band aid patches here and there, which haven't played up to expectation).

As for the BDM errors, I dialed down the error message because I expect all left over issues are false positives. The BDM error just shuts down Armory now (rebuild and rescan isn't checked by default in the error message), and the next start will just repair the issue (if there is one indeed) until I get to the bottom of it.

I did push a tiny but significant change a couple days ago which should fix some latent BDM errors.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 06:32:42 PM

Sounds like a good plan.

I don't currently use SDM anyway, just trying to help clear your workload so you can develop the features I'm more interested in (reduced DB, input level coin control, BIP32 based wallet format)

Vires in numeris
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 08:18:10 PM

Sounds like a good plan.

I don't currently use SDM anyway, just trying to help clear your workload so you can develop the features I'm more interested in (reduced DB, input level coin control, BIP32 based wallet format)

And I'm grateful for that. BIP32 is etotheipi's task, that's not dependent on anything I do =P.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 12:01:49 AM

Sounds like a good plan.

And I'm grateful for that. BIP32 is etotheipi's task, that's not dependent on anything I do =P.

Not holding my breath for BIP32, I expect Alan will want to be super considered about doing that task. I am looking forward to the fine grained coin control *ahem*  Grin

Seriously though, the gratitude is more than reciprocated. I'm really happy with how the Armory project is turning out, and it always needed a team of developers to help Alan focus on the visionary part. You guys are the standard, and that's really going to get driven home this year IMO. Soon as these two big foundation components (DB & wallet 2.0) are done, then that's the basis to attract more users and for the feature set to become even more diverse.

Vires in numeris
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: