Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 10:16:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem I Have Installing Wallet Software  (Read 619 times)
edmonddantes224 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 05:14:39 AM

Hi, since I'm new I figured I better ask a pertinent question.

I tried to install the Bitcoin software on my Zorin installation, but I have a problem of having an ISP with bandwidth limitations and unfortunately, I'm not the only one who uses this connection, but the downloading blockchains takes up a huge chunk of my daily allowance.

Is it possible to schedule the downloading of blockchain, or must it really be done all at once?

Thanks.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:41:07 AM

Here is a chart I'm maintaining to help you choose a client.

http://dre.redmartian.org/compare.htm
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:43:58 AM

Hi, since I'm new I figured I better ask a pertinent question.

I tried to install the Bitcoin software on my Zorin installation, but I have a problem of having an ISP with bandwidth limitations and unfortunately, I'm not the only one who uses this connection, but the downloading blockchains takes up a huge chunk of my daily allowance.

Is it possible to schedule the downloading of blockchain, or must it really be done all at once?

Thanks.
If you want to download a part of the blockchain per day, just start the client for a couple of hours (depending on your bandwidth limitations) and exit it while the blockchain is still downloading. Or else try Electrum/some other light client that could be found in flatfly's chart.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 12:01:08 PM

Cool chart, worth a sticky somewhere. Guessing the half moons mean in development? Might be worth putting a donations address on it too, it answered a lot of my questions on clients.

Thanks! I'm glad you found it helpful.

The half-moon symbol means that the feature is supported but with caveats - hover your mouse pointer over the symbol to show some extra information.

I will consider adding a donation address to that page.
In the meantime, I do highly appreciate any donations made to the address in my signature.   
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 02:17:29 PM

Blockchain.info's wallet service requires very little bandwidth and no downloads of the block chain, if you are alright using an online wallet.

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: