Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:40:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem I Have Installing Wallet Software  (Read 619 times)
edmonddantes224 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 05:14:39 AM

Hi, since I'm new I figured I better ask a pertinent question.

I tried to install the Bitcoin software on my Zorin installation, but I have a problem of having an ISP with bandwidth limitations and unfortunately, I'm not the only one who uses this connection, but the downloading blockchains takes up a huge chunk of my daily allowance.

Is it possible to schedule the downloading of blockchain, or must it really be done all at once?

Thanks.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:41:07 AM

Here is a chart I'm maintaining to help you choose a client.

http://dre.redmartian.org/compare.htm
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:43:58 AM

Hi, since I'm new I figured I better ask a pertinent question.

I tried to install the Bitcoin software on my Zorin installation, but I have a problem of having an ISP with bandwidth limitations and unfortunately, I'm not the only one who uses this connection, but the downloading blockchains takes up a huge chunk of my daily allowance.

Is it possible to schedule the downloading of blockchain, or must it really be done all at once?

Thanks.
If you want to download a part of the blockchain per day, just start the client for a couple of hours (depending on your bandwidth limitations) and exit it while the blockchain is still downloading. Or else try Electrum/some other light client that could be found in flatfly's chart.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 12:01:08 PM

Cool chart, worth a sticky somewhere. Guessing the half moons mean in development? Might be worth putting a donations address on it too, it answered a lot of my questions on clients.

Thanks! I'm glad you found it helpful.

The half-moon symbol means that the feature is supported but with caveats - hover your mouse pointer over the symbol to show some extra information.

I will consider adding a donation address to that page.
In the meantime, I do highly appreciate any donations made to the address in my signature.   
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 02:17:29 PM

Blockchain.info's wallet service requires very little bandwidth and no downloads of the block chain, if you are alright using an online wallet.

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: