Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:57:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MultiBit HD 0.0.7beta released. Adjustable fees. Choose your blockexplorer.  (Read 2011 times)
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 03:32:32 PM

Hello Everybody,

We have just released the latest MultiBti HD beta - Beta 7.
The usual blog article is here:

https://beta.multibit.org/blog/2015/02/27/multibit-hd-beta-7.html

The bitcoin signed release note with all the SHA256 hashes is here:
https://beta.multibit.org/releases/multibit-hd/multibit-hd-0.0.7beta/release.txt

There are numerous small UI fixes, you can set your transaction fees and choose your block explorer.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
BitcoinIsLiberty

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 03:04:17 PM

For a lost Trezor what would be the steps to restore the seed for MultiBit if you used a seed that is different length than mytrezor.com allows? I tried going to restore wallet but it wants to use the seed that is already on the new Trezor or only create a new one.

I noticed too that if the Trezor has a password there doesn't seem to be a way that allows a creation of a new wallet as it just gets stuck everywhere with the Trezor saying to input password.
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 10:44:49 AM

Hi BitcoinIsLiberty

Thanks for having a look at MultiBit HD.

If you lose your Trezor, you can restore your wallet as what we call a 'soft' wallet.
You type in your seed phrase (and a timestamp if you have it) and tell MBHD it is a Trezor restore by answering the question:

What produced your wallet words?
with
Trezor device, Mycelium. (BIP44)

You then have a wallet on your machine that has your bitcoin.

You cannot reprogram a new Trezor with a seed phrase in MBHD (a seed phrase you type into your main computer isn't 'really' secure anymore).

MBHD is as mainstream as we can get it and so we don't support a passphrase used to encrypt the wallet words / seed phrase. We want it so that if you have your wallet words you can always restore your bitcoins.
We found in MultiBit Classic that a small number of people will forget their passwords (perhaps 1 incident per 30,000 user months). This creates a lot of anxiety and almost always lost bitcoins. We have put in password recovery for MBHD wallet passwords (as long as you have your seed) but as we cannot do the same for Trezor passwords we don't want to support them.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
BitcoinIsLiberty

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 05:22:01 PM

Thank you. My main concern was losing a Trezor and by using a 'soft' wallet my bitcoins would be at risk until I transfer them to the new wallet. I was hoping that seed restoration would enable me to not depend on mytrezor.com at all.
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 05:42:04 PM

Yeah - it's a tricky one.

Typing your seed phrase ONCE into a machine that has a keylogger gives your adversary the chance to empty your wallet at any time they like in the future.

You _think_ you've a nice secure Trezor wallet but unfortunately 2 years ago someone keylogged your seed phrase.
When you transfer into your Trezor the winnings of the Xmas 2017 Bitcoin Global Lottery (Congratulations on winning that!) you see all your bitcoins instantly evaporate.

If the seed phrase is only ever shown on the Trezor secure display it's a much tougher nut to crack.

BitcoinIsLiberty

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 05:53:31 PM

Yeah - it's a tricky one.

Typing your seed phrase ONCE into a machine that has a keylogger gives your adversary the chance to empty your wallet at any time they like in the future.

You _think_ you've a nice secure Trezor wallet but unfortunately 2 years ago someone keylogged your seed phrase.
When you transfer into your Trezor the winnings of the Xmas 2017 Bitcoin Global Lottery (Congratulations on winning that!) you see all your bitcoins instantly evaporate.

If the seed phrase is only ever shown on the Trezor secure display it's a much tougher nut to crack.

Thanks. I see mytrezor.com never knows the seed order but the Trezor prompts for random order so spyware still has to sort the words and 24 would be hard to sort. I like the idea of a chart of all seed words and associated number and the person enters the seed by using the PIN pad and spyware would not know any of the words. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: