Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:07:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does hoarding hurt Bitcoin ?  (Read 3652 times)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 02:52:16 AM

Hoarding = terrible
Saving = awesome

Roll Eyes

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:49:19 AM

Hoarding = terrible
Saving = awesome

Roll Eyes

I both horded and saved the BTC you paid me for myraidcoins.com Smiley.

Does that mean I'm terribly awesome?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 06:26:18 AM

Hoarding = terrible
Saving = awesome

Roll Eyes

Speculators = terrible
Investors = awesome

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Boussac (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 08:09:19 AM

Thread title should be changed to "Does SAVING hurt bitcoin"

"Hoarding" is a term used by commies to justify stealing from people. It implies that anyone who saves money is a greedy bastard.

That's right: the word "hoarding" is commonly used to justify non-sense meant to prevent it, like the "demurrage" gloobiboolga.

However, "saving" is just to vague. Hoarding applies nicely to "commodity" money. So , for lack of a better word...

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 09:19:19 AM

Hoarding = terrible
Saving = awesome

Roll Eyes

I both horded and saved the BTC you paid me for myraidcoins.com Smiley.

Does that mean I'm terribly awesome?

Correct.

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 01:04:44 PM

"Hoarding" is a term used by commies to justify stealing from people. It implies that anyone who saves money is a greedy bastard.

That's right: the word "hoarding" is commonly used to justify non-sense meant to prevent it, like the "demurrage" gloobiboolga.

However, "saving" is just to vague. Hoarding applies nicely to "commodity" money. So , for lack of a better word...

All money is a commodity. Commodities are simply goods demanded by the market. Money are commodities with wide enough demand to be used as a medium of exchange.

I'm grumpy!!
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:14:16 PM

Because of the potential upside I am willing to horde my coins at the risk of losing the negligible amount of fiat I have invested in it. Moreover, I will never sell my coins for fiat. I will only ever use my coins to buy items. Due to the limited items available to me, I can only horde.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 08:38:07 PM

Because of the potential upside I am willing to horde my coins at the risk of losing the negligible amount of fiat I have invested in it. Moreover, I will never sell my coins for fiat. I will only ever use my coins to buy items. Due to the limited items available to me, I can only horde.

If you will -never- sell coins for fiat you've got way to much fiat sitting around. Get rid of some of it and if things go worse with your earnings and/or expenses than you currently project move some back into fiat.

Boussac (OP)
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 08:49:18 PM

All money is a commodity. Commodities are simply goods demanded by the market. Money are commodities with wide enough demand to be used as a medium of exchange.

That's right only because some crooks have commoditized fiat money. Today 4000 billion USD worth of fiat money is traded DAILY on global forex markets (I know, it's hard to believe). Some people get rich just trading on the forex. How pathetic. This kind of volume only shows the extent to which fiat money has been hijacked by banksters and speculators for their own profits to the detriment of creative, productive people.

Bitcoin is a digital commodity that can be used as money. So the term "commodity" money is a short cut. In fact, I am referring to "inelastic" money vs elastic money. However "inelastic" for most people will signal something cumbersome and hardly adaptive. Hence the term "commodity money", again for lack of a better word...

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 01:49:11 AM

That's right only because some crooks have commoditized fiat money. Today 4000 billion USD worth of fiat money is traded DAILY on global forex markets (I know, it's hard to believe). Some people get rich just trading on the forex. How pathetic. This kind of volume only shows the extent to which fiat money has been hijacked by banksters and speculators for their own profits to the detriment of creative, productive people.

Bitcoin is a digital commodity that can be used as money. So the term "commodity" money is a short cut. In fact, I am referring to "inelastic" money vs elastic money. However "inelastic" for most people will signal something cumbersome and hardly adaptive. Hence the term "commodity money", again for lack of a better word...

I think you are using some bastardized definition of "commodity". Something that is "fiat" is inherently NOT a commodity. The definition: In economics, a commodity is the generic term for any marketable item produced to satisfy wants or needs

"Fiat" means its not marketable or produced to satisfy wants or needs because its only value is imposed by the government.

Bitcoin DOES fit the definition of "Commodity".

I'm grumpy!!
Boussac (OP)
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 11:47:58 AM

All money is a commodity.
(...)
Something that is "fiat" is inherently NOT a commodity.

I am not following you.

CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 01:08:42 PM

(...)

I am not following you.

a commodity can not be increased artificicialy ,you can leave the printing presses on all night and print an extra billion dollars if you want

You can not do this with gold ,or diamonds or bitcoins

i think he means that ......
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 01:32:33 PM

(...)

I am not following you.

Something that is fiat is given value by a government. Commodities are valuable because people want them. There is no actual demand for little pieces of green paper with magic symbols on them to satisfy needs or wants, they're demand in dependent on their FIAT status.

Commodities are things that need no government intervention to be desired by people. People want sugar, coffee, and bitcoins NOT because the government said they were valuable, but because of their own utility.

I'm grumpy!!
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 09:30:52 PM

a commodity can not be increased artificicialy ,you can leave the printing presses on all night and print an extra billion dollars if you want

You can leave the printing presses on all night and print an extra billion copies of any book, but books are a commodity.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 08:04:45 AM

You can leave the printing presses on all night and print an extra billion copies of any book, but books are a commodity.

yes ,but if you print a few billion extra copies of any book ,you let me know how the sales go   Wink
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 08:51:07 AM

yes ,but if you print a few billion extra copies of any book ,you let me know how the sales go   Wink
The same thing would happen with dollars. Like anything else, their value is dependent on the supply and the demand.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 02:35:52 PM

The same thing would happen with dollars. Like anything else, their value is dependent on the supply and the demand.

correct ,but since its not possible to print up an extra few million diamonds or gold bars or even  bitcoins they have a value in their scarcity that printed money does not

thats why i think of bitcoin as a commodity as much as a currency ........but theres no reason it cant be both Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: