Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:19:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you approve of the changes outlined in the OP?
Yes EC Limit/Yes CPPS (CPPSBAM) - 36 (46.2%)
Yes EC Limit/No CPPS (SMPPS w/EC limited to active miners) - 14 (17.9%)
No EC Limit/Yes CPPS (CPPSEB) - 8 (10.3%)
No EC Limit/No CPPS (SMPPS as it stands) - 20 (25.6%)
Total Voters: 78

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Eligius Miners: [POLL] Proposed changes to Eligius Reward System  (Read 11632 times)
wizkid057 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:02:01 PM

From a purely moral standpoint, I think refusing to pay inactive addresses is wrong. It's due payment for past work, it shouldn't be pushed back indefinitely. It also punishes the creation of new addresses, which beats one of the selling points of mining here ("virgin coins"). There is already a "new address tax", there shouldn't be any more.

New address tax?

Tips: 1LDQrLr6dPVqNJmpZm82eZVKqDFRk7ERW8
Operator of the Eligius Mining Pool - 0% Fee, SAPPLNS, GBT, Stratum, IRC+Phone Support, Share Market (coming soon), Generation payouts, and more.
Don't feed the trolls. Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic (1)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:10:26 PM

From a purely moral standpoint, I think refusing to pay inactive addresses is wrong. It's due payment for past work, it shouldn't be pushed back indefinitely.
No, this is dealing with Extra Credit (EC), not unpaid rewards.

It also punishes the creation of new addresses, which beats one of the selling points of mining here ("virgin coins"). There is already a "new address tax", there shouldn't be any more.
There is no "new address tax" right now... if there was, it wouldn't be a major downside to this proposal.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:11:43 PM

From a purely moral standpoint, I think refusing to pay inactive addresses is wrong. It's due payment for past work, it shouldn't be pushed back indefinitely. It also punishes the creation of new addresses, which beats one of the selling points of mining here ("virgin coins"). There is already a "new address tax", there shouldn't be any more.

New address tax?

Yeah well, nothing significant, but whenever you create a new account you increase the cumulative rounding down. It's just a little, but it's something (you are on average (~0.67 BTC/2) * number_of_addresses overdue).

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:14:44 PM

From a purely moral standpoint, I think refusing to pay inactive addresses is wrong. It's due payment for past work, it shouldn't be pushed back indefinitely.

Ok.

It also punishes the creation of new addresses, which beats one of the selling points of mining here ("virgin coins"). There is already a "new address tax", there shouldn't be any more.
There is no "new address tax" right now... if there was, it wouldn't be a major downside to this proposal.

I posted just a few minutes ago about that.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:18:05 PM

New address tax?

Yeah well, nothing significant, but whenever you create a new account you increase the cumulative rounding down. It's just a little, but it's something (you are on average (~0.67 BTC/2) * number_of_addresses overdue).
This doesn't make sense. What rounding down?

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:21:20 PM

New address tax?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You aren't paid until you reach the threshold, and then you're only paid for what you mined up to that point. So, at any instant other than when you've just been paid, you're overdue an amount X, that's between 0 and the threshold (can be a bit more but let's forget about that). Statistically, you're overdue half the amount of the threshold on average, multiplied by the number of addresses.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:34:25 PM

New address tax?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You aren't paid until you reach the threshold, and then you're only paid for what you mined up to that point. So, at any instant other than when you've just been paid, you're overdue an amount X, that's between 0 and the threshold (can be a bit more but let's forget about that). Statistically, you're overdue half the amount of the threshold on average, multiplied by the number of addresses.
Where does rounding come into it?

SleeperUnit

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:58:30 PM

May I suggest switching to proportional ?
 Grin Tongue

You may not.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

While it is true that if you split your mining between multiple addresses you will have to mine longer to reach the payout threshold. But even if you never reach the threshold, auto-payouts kick-in after a week of inactivity so that only means you'll get payed later, not less.  
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:01:30 PM

Where does rounding come into it?

By rounding I meant that fact, that you get paid in "chunks" (couldn't be otherwise). So creating an address is effectively not totally free, you'd be about -0.34 BTC on average just by having an extra address.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

While it is true that if you split your mining between multiple addresses you will have to mine longer to reach the payout threshold. But even if you never reach the threshold, auto-payouts kick-in after a week of inactivity so that only means you'll get payed later, not less.  

Ok. That will continue, right?

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:09:13 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok. That will continue, right?
I'm not aware of any proposals to change that.

jkminkov

Activity: 698
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 08:43:41 AM

As long as that is the case, perhaps we should take another look at MPPS? The only reason we went with SMPPS AFAIK was because it allows mobility between addresses.

use ESMPPS

.:31211457:. 100 dollars in one place talking - Dudes, hooray, Bitcoin against us just one, but we are growing in numbers!
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 07:54:33 PM

So under CPPSBAM, every time I point my miners to a new eligius address... my old address will effectively be an 'inactive miner' and although the EC credit is there - it's effectively lost to me unless I point some hashing power there again??

That would be correct.

Yuck.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 07:58:37 PM

Yes, exactly. I don't think the entire CPPSBAM description was read or was somehow misunderstood...

I think the problem was putting two proposals in one discussion thread.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 04:18:09 AM

Wait.. do I detect a certain sense of magnanimity in your attitude to this 'Extra Credit'?
Let's not forget that this EC is required to bring the earnings of this pool up to rough equivalency with other pools.
It's surely part of the 'reward' - just shifted in time to even out the luck.

I hope that merely by time-shifting it and terming it as 'Extra Credit' that there is not somehow a perceived lesser moral duty to pay it out??

(when (if!?) the overall pool luck eventually provides the necessary funds that is)

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 04:33:26 AM

I hope that merely by time-shifting it and terming it as 'Extra Credit' that there is not somehow a perceived lesser moral duty to pay it out??

+1

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 08:16:10 AM

Regardless of which MPPS variant you decide on, a hybrid PPS-SMPPS with a 2% fee would reduce the average 100 round maturity time by 20% and the average 200 round maturity time by 28%. The longer it goes, the lower the average maturity time until it would be on average very close to 1 round. You'd still have long runs of bad luck that would increase the time to payment maturity, but there would be no risk to Luke-jr and significant benefits to miners.

Of course, Eligius has been a free pool for so long there would be significant resistance to a 2% fee. What miners should realise is that they would have more btc sooner, and there is a significant time value of money in the current high interest btc market.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
donking

Activity: 38
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 11:51:32 AM

It could be possible to make some sort of Swap instrument,
that is valid for the next x blocks,
where you have a % fee that goes to the holders of this swap as payment for risk, and that any credit in unlucky times is financed from the pool of paid in coins by the buyers of the swap.
When there are lucky period money is added to the pool, when there are unlucky periods money is deduced from the pool.
at the end of the x blocks, buyers of the swap are paid back the remaining pool + the % fee.
Then a new offering is made for the next x blocks.
That way you finance a pool of money that can promptly pay out, and the risk of an unlucky period is taken by the buyers of this swap.
An there are probably investors ready since the pool has credibility compared to other investments opportunities in bitcoin.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 04:50:15 PM

When does the polling close and any changes that are going to take place take place? It's been running around 5 days now.
martychubbs

Activity: 742
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 09:01:01 PM

Regardless of which MPPS variant you decide on, a hybrid PPS-SMPPS with a 2% fee would reduce the average 100 round maturity time by 20% and the average 200 round maturity time by 28%. The longer it goes, the lower the average maturity time until it would be on average very close to 1 round. You'd still have long runs of bad luck that would increase the time to payment maturity, but there would be no risk to Luke-jr and significant benefits to miners.

Of course, Eligius has been a free pool for so long there would be significant resistance to a 2% fee. What miners should realise is that they would have more btc sooner, and there is a significant time value of money in the current high interest btc market.

Brilliant!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄████████████████████▄
     ▄██████████████▀█████████▄
   ▄███████████████   ██████████▄
  ▐█████████████████   ██████████▌
 ▐█████████████████▀    ██████████▌
 ███████████████▀        ██████████
▐████████████▀     ▄███   █████████▌
████████████    ▄████▀██▄███████████
██████████▀██▄████▀    █████████████
█████████   ███▀     ▄██████████████
▐█████████        ▄████████████████▌
 ██████████    ▄███████████████████
 ▐██████████   ███████████████████▌
  ▐██████████   █████████████████▌
   ▀██████████▄█████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████████████▀
       ▀████████████████████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
    ██
   ████
  ██▌███
 ▐██▌███▌
 ███ ██▀▌
 ▀██ █▄██
 █▄█ ███▀
 ▀██ ██▄█
 █▄█ ███▌
  ██▌███
  ▐█▌██
   ▐█▌
    █
    █
     ▀

░░██████
░░██████
░░██████

░░░░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░██████

██████
██████
██████

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████

▄▄██████▄▄
       ▐██▀    ▀██▌
       ██        ██
       ██        ██
       ██        ██
      ██████████████
      █████  ███████     ██ 
  ██  █  ████████  █ ██   
      ███████  █████    ██   
      ██████████████

▄██▄
▀██▀         ▄██▄
             ▀██▀

▄██▄
       ▀██▀

▄██▄
  ▄██▄     ▀██▀
  ▀██▀

▄▄█▄▄   ▄
█▄        ████████▀▄
███      █████████▀
▐███▄    ████████▌
▄▄█████▄▄▄███████▌
  ▀█████████████
  ▄▄██████████▀
    ▄████████▀
▀▀████████▀
    ▀▀▀

▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄
   ▐█▄████████████▄█▌
  ▐██████████████████▌
  █████▀▀▀████▀▀▀█████
 █████     ██     █████
▐██████▄▄▄████▄▄▄██████▌
 ████▄▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄████
  ▀▀████        ████▀▀
      ▀▀        ▀▀

█▀▀▄▄▄█▄
         █    ▀█▀
       ▄▄█▄▄
▄██▄▄████████▄▄██▄
█████▀▀████▀▀█████
 ███▄  ▄██▄  ▄███
  ▀████▀██▀████▀
    ▀███▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██ ██ ██ ██

██ ██ ██

██ ██

██ ██

Homepage

██ ██

██ ██

██ ██ ██

██ ██ ██ ██

White Paper
martychubbs

Activity: 742
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 09:02:32 PM

PPLNS has the same drawbacks as proportional except they're slightly offset for longer blocks.  Can still hop on short blocks.
This is false, PPLNS is hopping-proof. You probably misunderstood how PPLNS works (or misimplemented it), most likely thinking it only rewards shares from the current round.
Actually, turns out the document I had initially read on the topic was of an incorrect implementation.  My mistake.  However, it's still able to be hopped in any case, just not as easily or predictably.
Hopping means some times are better to mine than others and that this can be deduced from the pool's past. In PPLNS the payouts don't depend on the past, only on the future. If hoppers could see the future and tell when blocks will be found, they would be able to hop. But they can't, so they can't. There is no hopping strategy that would give better-than-random payouts. This has been mathematically proven.

I'm not sure what I've done to deserve your distrust, but I honestly spent some time thinking about these things.

Edit: Ok, I will stop derailing the thread. I'll be happy to continue discussing PPLNS in an on-topic thread such as PPLNS.

I like you sexy PPLNS talk...my thread or yours!  Great stuff Meni...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄████████████████████▄
     ▄██████████████▀█████████▄
   ▄███████████████   ██████████▄
  ▐█████████████████   ██████████▌
 ▐█████████████████▀    ██████████▌
 ███████████████▀        ██████████
▐████████████▀     ▄███   █████████▌
████████████    ▄████▀██▄███████████
██████████▀██▄████▀    █████████████
█████████   ███▀     ▄██████████████