Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:51:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hard fork?  (Read 1772 times)
LordSonjai (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 06:38:37 PM

Just curious as if wether my bitcoin cold wallet made off of bitaddress would be affected during a hard fork.
nicked

Activity: 175

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 06:52:06 PM

I would like to know the same thing. I can see that this topic has been read about 45 times with no replies. Maybe no one knows.
LordSonjai (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 06:54:35 PM

If you control private keys in the current block chain, you would control the same private keys in both block chains (old and new) after a hard fork.

FANTASTIC.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 06:57:22 PM

Just curious as if wether my bitcoin cold wallet made off of bitaddress would be affected during a hard fork.

Short answer - No.

Technically, your question is nonsensical or incomplete though.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3219

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 07:00:48 PM

It is extremely unlikely that any fork is going to change how private keys and bitcoin addresses work because it would cause a total disruption, invalidating all wallets, not just cold wallets.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
LordSonjai (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 07:05:20 PM

thank you thank you good to know.
jeffhuys

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 07:23:05 PM

Wait, when is this hard fork going to happen? Or is this not decided yet?

inBitweTrust

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 07:40:21 PM

Wait, when is this hard fork going to happen? Or is this not decided yet?

Much to the chagrin of less than 1% of bitcoin users sometime this year. No formal BiP has been proposed but one will come shortly in second quarter and than accepted this year. It is going to happen and will address this growing problem by increasing the block limit and allow more Txs-

https://blockchain.info/charts/avg-block-size?timespan=1year&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

My confirmations are taking FOREVER.

Difficulty is increasing and confirmation times are actually averaging 7-8 minutes sir. Keep in mind the Poisson Distribution.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3219

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 08:08:36 PM

My confirmations are taking FOREVER.

Difficulty is increasing and confirmation times are actually averaging 7-8 minutes sir. Keep in mind the Poisson Distribution.

7-8 minutes is not accurate. Poisson distribution or not, the last ...

10,000 blocks took 96,453 minutes to confirm, for an average time of 9.65 minutes
1,000 blocks took 9,900 minutes to confirm, for an average time of 9.90 minutes
100 blocks took 1,008 minutes to confirm, for an average time of 10.08 minutes

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
inBitweTrust

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 08:18:53 PM

Actually, the last ...

10,000 blocks took 96,453 minutes to confirm, for an average time of 9.65 minutes
1,000 blocks took 9,900 minutes to confirm, for an average time of 9.90 minutes
100 blocks took 1,008 minutes to confirm, for an average time of 10.08 minutes

7-8 minutes is not accurate.

You cannot extrapolate that data to reflect the probability of confirmations appearing from an average Tx if the appropriate Tx fee is paid .

https://blockchain.info/charts/avg-confirmation-time

In reality since a Tx appears ate a random time between blocks being found the first confirmation has a 50% probability of being found within 3-4 minutes and the second confirmation has a 50% probability being found within 7-8 minutes after the first confirmation.

PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 08:20:06 PM

The hardfork, when it comes, only miners and pool operators need to upgrade their builds. Average bitcoin users are not affected, coins are safe and addresses still works.

I guess my issue is I am not getting in these blocks I sent a transaction around 4 hours ago and I am still waiting " Estimated Confirmation Time   Within 6 Blocks (Medium Priority)"

Medium priority usually means not enough fees.  Wink
inBitweTrust

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 08:24:14 PM

I guess my issue is I am not getting in these blocks I sent a transaction around 4 hours ago and I am still waiting " Estimated Confirmation Time   Within 6 Blocks (Medium Priority)"

The last 6 confirmations happened within 1.5 hours - https://blockchain.info/blocks

Did you pay the correct Tx fee?

albert11

Activity: 679
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 12:08:19 AM

The hardfork, when it comes, only miners and pool operators need to upgrade their builds. Average bitcoin users are not affected, coins are safe and addresses still works.

I though that when a modification on the code is done people needs to upgrade their client isn't this the case?

This would mean that if people disagree with a code modification they are the ones that needs to find another client, i thought it was the other way around?

████████████████████
           ██████████████████████
          ████                ████
         ████   █████   ████   ████
        ████   ███████ ██████   ████
       ████   ████ ████   ████   ████
      ████   ████   ████   ████   ████
     ████   ████  ██ ████   ████ 
    ████   ████   ██  ████
    ████   ████   ███  ████
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███    ███
     ████   ████   ████ ████ ████
      ████   ████   ████ ██ ████  ████
       ████   ████   ████ ████   ████
        ████   ██████ ██████    ████
         ████   ████   ████    ████
          ████                ████
           ██████████████████████
            ████████████████████
I N D X
jeffhuys

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 12:22:42 AM

The last 6 confirmations happened within 1.5 hours - https://blockchain.info/blocks

It is the standard MultiBit HD wallet fee .00001

Should be fine. My MultiBit confirms flawlessly, every time.

jeffhuys

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 12:33:39 AM

It is the standard MultiBit HD wallet fee .00001
Should be fine. My MultiBit confirms flawlessly, every time.
So standard transactions are being effected, that's what I am taking from this.
I guess. You could just have had a load of bad luck. I've never really had problems with transaction time.

BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:06:04 PM

It is extremely unlikely that any fork is going to change how private keys and bitcoin addresses work because it would cause a total disruption, invalidating all wallets, not just cold wallets.

If a fork fucks with private keys it would be the end. You can't recover from that. So they better think about it twice
Anillos2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:37:46 PM

It depends.

I think that in the future Bitcoin could accept new cryptographic algorithms, but you won't be forced to move your funds. But if the current cryptographic algorithm becomes weak, your funds could be stolen.

It this happens you will be noticed, don't worry, because the current cryptographic algorithm is strong enough for the moment.

oblivi

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 01:44:37 AM

It depends.

I think that in the future Bitcoin could accept new cryptographic algorithms, but you won't be forced to move your funds. But if the current cryptographic algorithm becomes weak, your funds could be stolen.

It this happens you will be noticed, don't worry, because the current cryptographic algorithm is strong enough for the moment.
I don't think we'll ever need, in our lifetimes, a change beyond what SHA256 has to offer. Unless alien tech cracks the algorithm.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: