Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:24:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghash/s mining  (Read 1482 times)
Alex1138 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:21:41 PM

OK, i am mining in the upwards of 2500 Ghash/s range and was wondering if i should go solo or just use a pool. if anyone is wondering, i am running an NVIDIA GT 420m CUDA and these are the flags: -cuda   -gpugrid=500 -gputhreads=512 -aggression=14 is this even safe for my laptop? i have a cooler under it. nothing feels too warm, and my system is stable. i guess it helps to have an integrated card and a dedicated graphics card, huh? Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 11:59:44 PM

OK, i am mining in the upwards of 2500 Ghash/s range and was wondering if i should go solo or just use a pool. if anyone is wondering, i am running an NVIDIA GT 420m CUDA and these are the flags: -cuda   -gpugrid=500 -gputhreads=512 -aggression=14 is this even safe for my laptop? i have a cooler under it. nothing feels too warm, and my system is stable. i guess it helps to have an integrated card and a dedicated graphics card, huh? Cheesy

Sorry, but there is no possible way you are running 2.5TH/s on a NVidia 420m graphics processor. I get around 5MH/s on a laptop of mine's 320M, so you are probably getting around 7MH/s at most. If your mining software is showing 2500GH/s (as you said) something is certainly wrong. You I imagine are mining to a pool, what does the pool report your numbers as?

For some benchmarks, the best dedicated graphics cards have a hell-of-a-time reaching 1GH/s, you are claiming 2500GH/s with a laptop's 3-generation-old integrated graphics processor. What mining software are you using that's spitting out these erroneous numbers?

And to answer your question, if you are mining with a mobile GPU, you should pool-mine, it will take far too long to solo-mine (literally years upon years).

Edit: it appears you are using 500GPU threads... I've seen mining software have issues with a lot of threads as far as calculating hashing speed. This is likely the case. Lower that to something like 1-2 perhaps?

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
Merrick

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 12:00:54 AM

Was gonna say, someone's math is a bit off. Smiley
Alex1138 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 12:08:02 AM
Last edit: August 02, 2012, 01:05:47 AM by Alex1138

OK, i am mining in the upwards of 2500 Ghash/s range and was wondering if i should go solo or just use a pool. if anyone is wondering, i am running an NVIDIA GT 420m CUDA and these are the flags: -cuda   -gpugrid=500 -gputhreads=512 -aggression=14 is this even safe for my laptop? i have a cooler under it. nothing feels too warm, and my system is stable. i guess it helps to have an integrated card and a dedicated graphics card, huh? Cheesy

Sorry, but there is no possible way you are running 2.5TH/s on a NVidia 420m graphics processor. I get around 5MH/s on a laptop of mine's 320M, so you are probably getting around 7MH/s at most. If your mining software is showing 2500GH/s (as you said) something is certainly wrong. You I imagine are mining to a pool, what does the pool report your numbers as?

For some benchmarks, the best dedicated graphics cards have a hell-of-a-time reaching 1GH/s, you are claiming 2500GH/s with a laptop's 3-generation-old integrated graphics processor. What mining software are you using that's spitting out these erroneous numbers?

And to answer your question, if you are mining with a mobile GPU, you should pool-mine, it will take far too long to solo-mine (literally years upon years).

Edit: it appears you are using 500GPU threads... I've seen mining software have issues with a lot of threads as far as calculating hashing speed. This is likely the case. Lower that to something like 1-2 perhaps?
i'm using gui miner. it really pisses me off though that i let my laptop sit for three days and all i have to show for it is .0042 BTC. THAT IS REDICULOUS! is there a way to get more BTC faster? ok, i set my gpu grid to 200 and same for the threading. it gives off 10mhash/s is that more acurrate? BTW how many miners do you have running at the same time?
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 01:16:43 AM

i'm using gui miner. it really pisses me off though that i let my laptop sit for three days and all i have to show for it is .0042 BTC. THAT IS REDICULOUS! is there a way to get more BTC faster? ok, i set my gpu grid to 200 and same for the threading. it gives off 10mhash/s is that more acurrate? BTW how many miners do you have running at the same time?

10MH/s is much more accurate. You are not going to mine much with a mobile GPU unfortunately, they have extremely low capabilities when it comes to data crunching such as hashing. I have 2 threads per gpu at most for me.

Alex1138 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 01:25:36 AM

10MH/s is much more accurate. You are not going to mine much with a mobile GPU unfortunately, they have extremely low capabilities when it comes to data crunching such as hashing. I have 2 threads per gpu at most for me.
well crap, i don't have internet at the house. i have to take my laptop elsewhere.... what would you suggest i do in my situation. i think i will be getting internet reletivly soon though, new house and all. it would probably help to build a dedicated rig, huh? could a dedicated gaming rig work as a miner? it's more like 2Mhash/s now...crap. any advice? again, do you run multiple miners on GUI Miner? is that effective or even efficient?
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 01:36:30 AM

well crap, i don't have internet at the house. i have to take my laptop elsewhere.... what would you suggest i do in my situation. i think i will be getting internet reletivly soon though, new house and all. it would probably help to build a dedicated rig, huh? could a dedicated gaming rig work as a miner? it's more like 2Mhash/s now...crap. any advice? again, do you run multiple miners on GUI Miner? is that effective or even efficient?

I don't user Guiminer myself, but when I did, I ran multiple miners only for multiple cards (or two for something like a 5970--dual GPU card). You should only run one miner for any one card, more than that and you are losing hashes as the threads take time switching, or something similar. Yes, I actually mine on my gaming rig. If you are going to build a gaming rig with intent to mine, make sure you use an ATi graphics card. However, since ASICs from BFL will likely be coming out soon, they will make it very hard to mine BTC with something like a GPU (because a $150GPU can get maybe 200-300MH/s, anda $150 ASIC will get 3,500MH/s), so you may want to only mine on it until then, then use it only for gaming, or mine something like Litecoins when the time of ASIC comes.

annanona

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:47:38 AM

2500GH/s?
Maybe it's KH/s Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: