Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:48:08 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New zero fee / low fee BTC transactions issues  (Read 1386 times)
EBK1000 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 07:51:58 AM

In Bitcoin Core version v0.10.0 (64-bit) (Mac in this case) there is an option for sending BTC with low fee or zero fee if possible. The transactions will be a lower priority but will eventually be processed. I have now tried this for the first time and the transaction appears to be stuck or is being processed very slowly. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

I initiated the 0.3BTC transaction at 2312 hours (GMT) London and now almost 9 hours later, still no confirmations.

Any thoughts?

Soooooooon...............
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 08:04:37 AM

Might have to splurge, and send that whopping $0.03 fee next time.

dsly

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 08:07:33 AM

In Bitcoin Core version v0.10.0 (64-bit) (Mac in this case) there is an option for sending BTC with low fee or zero fee if possible. The transactions will be a lower priority but will eventually be processed. I have now tried this for the first time and the transaction appears to be stuck or is being processed very slowly. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Any thoughts?

Well yes , the transaction does become low priority and is processed slower. If it was zero fees, then could take days for it to get through.

acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 08:10:18 AM

Let us know when the transaction is confirmed.
Anyway, I think this might create troubles to newbies especially.
And then they will start to complain about BTC not moving fast.
dsly

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 08:12:22 AM

Let us know when the transaction is confirmed.
Anyway, I think this might create troubles to newbies especially.
And then they will start to complain about BTC not moving fast.

That doesn't happen much. If it did, we would have a lot of people already complaining by now. Some do fall for it, and complain. But not many care when you just have to pay that low fees.

avw1982

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 08:13:57 AM

Might have to splurge, and send that whopping $0.03 fee next time.

This! If you choose the cheapest option, you know that's also the slowest.
Abbey_j

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 08:19:25 AM

You didn't pay any fee for that transaction, so what you can do now is waiting, I have one without fee also and get the first confirmation after 7days.
EBK1000 (OP)
Legendary

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 08:22:03 AM

Yeah, it was a test only, and obviously I will pay the fee the next time, just wanted to try

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 08:34:59 AM

- snip -
Any thoughts?

I have used the feature several times now and never had problems. You might want to uncheck the "send w/o fee when possible" to get the confirmation within the 25 blocks as promised. As others have already said your TX is without fee and its priority is not that high. The fee with the modified settings would have been ~400-500 satoshi. That should be low enough.

oh and a link is nice, here -> https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/tx/346b28808cbfd0e1e61485324ac48a398f814a76ecde85da113f4c0b39f0e350

Yeah, it was a test only, and obviously I will pay the fee the next time, just wanted to try

Sending without a fee is fine, but you need a higher priority. Im not sure how bitcoin core/qt determines whether its fine to pay no fee or not in the new version. If you have an .1 BTC input and want to send it w/o fee it should be confirmed for at least 10 days. This is a bit of a rule of thumb but it usually works out. Its easy to remember as 1 BTC confirmed for 1 day or 1 bitcoin day.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 08:43:05 AM

I think because the transactions volume, now is so big wave transaction on blockchain and if you didn't pay the fees i think you just waiting....for long time Cheesy my experience is i ever didn't pay the fees and i must waiting for 5 days to get confirmation. Without fee is just for patience person.

~iki
EBK1000 (OP)
Legendary

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 09:01:00 AM

- snip -
Any thoughts?

I have used the feature several times now and never had problems. You might want to uncheck the "send w/o fee when possible" to get the confirmation within the 25 blocks as promised. As others have already said your TX is without fee and its priority is not that high. The fee with the modified settings would have been ~400-500 satoshi. That should be low enough.

oh and a link is nice, here -> https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/tx/346b28808cbfd0e1e61485324ac48a398f814a76ecde85da113f4c0b39f0e350

Sending without a fee is fine, but you need a higher priority. Im not sure how bitcoin core/qt determines whether its fine to pay no fee or not in the new version. If you have an .1 BTC input and want to send it w/o fee it should be confirmed for at least 10 days. This is a bit of a rule of thumb but it usually works out. Its easy to remember as 1 BTC confirmed for 1 day or 1 bitcoin day.

So this:
Priority - 39,646,535 > 28,800,000 means that the transaction has to reach 28,800,00 to be processed??

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 10:27:20 AM

I initiated the 0.3BTC transaction at 2312 hours (GMT) London and now almost 9 hours later, still no confirmations.

Any thoughts?

Judging by the value of your transaction, it should confirm in 1 or 2 days, don't worry about it. Try to avoid sending transactions with no fee unless you know the transaction has high enough priority to qualify as free transaction. For example, sending 1btc which has matured for at least 1 day.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 11:04:50 AM

-snip-
So this:
Priority - 39,646,535 > 28,800,000 means that the transaction has to reach 28,800,00 to be processed??

Blocktrail actually says the priority is high enough, but there is no fixed value. According to the dev guide[1] there are 50 KB reserved for high priority TX. Thus as long as your priority is higher enough the TX will get confirmed eventually. It also gains priority over time as the inputs mature further with every block found.

[1] https://bitcoin.org/en/developer-guide#transaction-fees-and-change

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
aikunsatu

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 12:38:15 PM

so, the meaning is if I send with lower fee/zero fee, it is will confirmed slowly ?? Huh
Gisado

Yoohoo

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 12:56:36 PM

so, the meaning is if I send with lower fee/zero fee, it is will confirmed slowly ?? Huh
Yes. Higher Fee = Faster Confirmation, Lower Fee = Slower Confirmation. But as always there may be some exceptions....
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 07:55:40 PM

Yes. Higher Fee = Faster Confirmation, Lower Fee = Slower Confirmation. But as always there may be some exceptions....
but this is the thing:
what if people start to tweak without knowing what they're doing?
then, if something goes wrong, they'll blame on BTC
dsly

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 07:57:28 PM

but this is the thing:
what if people start to tweak without knowing what they're doing?
then, if something goes wrong, they'll blame on BTC

Maybe they should read how to send the transactions then. Obviouslt, if it was an option to send without a fees everyone would be doing it.
And after the first transaction, they will learn it too.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: