Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:39:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Buffett was right?  (Read 11607 times)
dataispower (OP)

Activity: 1330
Merit: 289

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:11:13 PM

"It's a method of transmitting money. It's a very effective way of transmitting money and you can do it anonymously and all that. A check is a way of transmitting money, too. Are checks worth a whole lot of money just because they can transmit money? Are money orders? You can transmit money by money orders. People do it. I hope bitcoin becomes a better way of doing it, but you can replicate it a bunch of different ways and it will be. The idea that it has some huge intrinsic value is just a joke in my view."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101494937

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmiwenht

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:19:41 PM

No, I think that we all know better than one of the world's most successful and experienced investors.

1xsBEUVzo6EtAST5Bq96AztiTR5mBXNzt
Asrael999

Activity: 703
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:21:48 PM

The difference is there is not an unlimited supply of money orders and cheques, there is a limited (albeit massive) supply of satoshi, and they can be recycled and used repeatedly. Should bitcoin have a monetary value, probably, should it be massive, debatable, but that's why there is a market in them.
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:22:21 PM

No, I think that we all know better than one of the world's most successful and experienced investors.

Smiley
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:28:03 PM

The difference is there is not an unlimited supply of money orders and cheques, there is a limited (albeit massive) supply of satoshi, and they can be recycled and used repeatedly. Should bitcoin have a monetary value, probably, should it be massive, debatable, but that's why there is a market in them.

The point is simple, the bitcoin network could become an efficient way for transmitting value world wide. Should not be used for storing value.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 03:35:04 PM

"Are checks worth a whole lot of money just because they can transmit money?"

Yes. A check is an instrument provided by a bank. And banks are worth a lot of money according to the stock exchanges, last time I checked.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:42:26 PM

"Are checks worth a whole lot of money just because they can transmit money?"

Yes. A check is an instrument provided by a bank. And banks are worth a lot of money according to the stock exchanges, last time I checked.

But the bitcoin network can operate even if one bitcoin is worth about 10$.   
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 5039

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:52:42 PM

Buffett's analogy of bitcoin to checks is completely flawed, even he should know the difference.  Notice that he did not compare bitcoin to actual fiat money (fiat money being the most direct form of value transmission) which does have immediate, relative value, but no "intrinsic value" per se.

Buffett hates gold as well, which agrees with his argument of having little intrinsic value, but yet gold dumbfoundedly continues to climb in value relative to fiat money decade after decade.  Go figure.

Buffett acts as if companies like Coca-Cola will be with us FOREVER.  They won't.
cafucafucafu

Activity: 812
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:55:23 PM

"It's a method of transmitting money. It's a very effective way of transmitting money and you can do it anonymously and all that. A check is a way of transmitting money, too. Are checks worth a whole lot of money just because they can transmit money? Are money orders? You can transmit money by money orders. People do it. I hope bitcoin becomes a better way of doing it, but you can replicate it a bunch of different ways and it will be. The idea that it has some huge intrinsic value is just a joke in my view."

Checks and money orders can have any amount put onto them. But you need more bitcoins to send more money.

Also checks dont come with decentralized ledgers.

Buffet is an investing genius but has no clue how BTC works.

Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:59:06 PM

I think the point he wants to come across is the fact that the bitcoins themselves are considered valuable, the "checks" how he calls them.
The part about "it can be replicated and it will be" is important in my view. He he clearly not referring to shitcoins altcoins (lol), what he is probably saying is that the breakthroughs of bitcoins underlying technology should (and will) be used  to simply improve the way payments work today, not forcing everybody to adopt a new stand-alone currency that is seriously problematic for a vast number of reasons and that it is not really needed as a currency.
We shouldn't be forced to suddenly accept that these "checks" (whether in limited supply or not) are valuable and use them for their original intended purpose.

I agree with him in that regard.

That's what the Boston Fed researchers and others recently said with their "we're bullish on the technology" article (if you actually read it).

PS: by saying "the technology behind bitcoin" they don't necessarily mean "the bitcoin blockchain" or proof-of-work or whatever.
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:00:15 PM

Buffett's analogy of bitcoin to checks is completely flawed, even he should know the difference.  Notice that he did not compare bitcoin to actual fiat money (fiat money being the most direct form of value transmission) which does have immediate, relative value, but no "intrinsic value" per say.

The bitcoin network can be used to transmit money, doesn't mean that people will use the bitcoin "currency" as money.
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:08:07 PM

Checks and money orders can have any amount put onto them. But you need more bitcoins to send more money.

If using bitcoin to transmit money from one place to the other will be cheap and popular then people will use it. But it doesn't mean that people will use bitcoin "currency" as money. One use case, efficient way for transmitting value, doesn't mean that people will work for bitcoin the "currency" and use it to buy groceries. Why should they?
_AquaRegia

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:11:19 PM

Buffett's analogy of bitcoin to checks is completely flawed, even he should know the difference.  Notice that he did not compare bitcoin to actual fiat money (fiat money being the most direct form of value transmission) which does have immediate, relative value, but no "intrinsic value" per say.

The bitcoin network can be used to transmit money, doesn't mean that people will use the bitcoin "currency" as money.

If the bitcoin network is indeed transmitting money, then BTC will have a value
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:14:33 PM

If the bitcoin network is indeed transmitting money, then BTC will have a value

Buffet point is that there is no reason for the bitcoin "currency" to have huge value.

"The idea that it has some huge intrinsic value is just a joke in my view."

Bitcoin has value, and the bitcoin network can operate even if one bitcoin is worth about 10$.   
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:23:16 PM

Warren Buffet is a old dinosaur that had luck and is using his past success to keep preaching about what is and isn't good. He will join the quote list of horribly wrong predictions.
uvt9

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:24:17 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2015, 04:36:37 PM by uvt9

A very related betting from March 2014: People was betting if price of bitcoin can out-grow Berkshire Hathaway class A after 1 year. This is response for Buffet saying "stay away from Bitcoin" last year.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/20gkdx/legitimate_wager_300_bitcoins_vs_1_class_a_share/
https://bitbet.us/bet/786/bitcoin-to-surpass-berkshire-as-an-investment/

It turned out BRK.A increased over 20+ percent while Bitcoin dropped from around 600 to 2xx.

The guy who deposited 1000 BTC on "Yes" is going to lose a big amount of money.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:27:24 PM

bitcoin needs two things to really be a money transmitter:

- liquid market

- enough security for my current transfer (miners need an incentive to secure the network - and they are paid in btc)

- a price high enough that i am able to buy the amount of btc i want to transfer

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:41:30 PM

- liquid market

- enough security for my current transfer (miners need an incentive to secure the network - and they are paid in btc)

- a price high enough that i am able to buy the amount of btc i want to transfer

For people to use bitcoin to transmit money, they need to use a service that will make it secure and very easy to use.

If this service will be popular and cheaper than the alternatives then people will use it. They will probably won't even know that bitcoin was used in the process.  But this will not mean that the bitcoin "currency" will have a lot of value, because there is no reason to use bitcoin the "currency" as money.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:49:08 PM

- liquid market

If there is a technology that allows the transfer of fiat currencies through a distributed ledger network (that doesn't need a cryptocurrency to secure it) the need to use bitcoin as a "check" to transfer value vanishes, same for your 3 requirements.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:52:02 PM

- liquid market

If there is a technology that allows the transfer of fiat currencies through a distributed ledger network (that doesn't need a cryptocurrency to secure it) the need to use bitcoin as a "check" to transmit value vanishes, same for your 3 requirements.

at first: as we talk specifically about bitcoin my points stand.

if you talk about something like XUSD (NXT) or BitUSD (bitshares) i dont think you are right. try "buying" 100Million bitusd, transmit them and sell them back.

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: