Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:59:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 0 confirmation confidence (of block inclusion)  (Read 1387 times)
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 09:24:10 AM

Is there anything in bitcoind RPC (or even an external service, blockchain.info etc) which would let me get an idea about how many miners have a particular transaction in their mempool? Or even some other metric of 0 confirmation transaction confidence?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 09:53:36 AM

Is there anything in bitcoind RPC (or even an external service, blockchain.info etc) which would let me get an idea about how many miners have a particular transaction in their mempool? Or even some other metric of 0 confirmation transaction confidence?
You can call getblocktemplate to see if your own node is attempting to mine it in the current block.
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 10:58:02 AM

You can call getblocktemplate to see if your own node is attempting to mine it in the current block.

Consider me to be uninitiated - is this relevant only if I'm a miner, or if I'm running any full node?
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 12:27:56 PM

Consider me to be uninitiated - is this relevant only if I'm a miner, or if I'm running any full node?
Pfft. If you were a miner 99% chance you've never seen a full node in your life. Any full node can call that rpc, and only full nodes can call that rpc.
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 02:44:56 PM

Pfft. If you were a miner 99% chance you've never seen a full node in your life. Any full node can call that rpc, and only full nodes can call that rpc.

Ok, understood. And if this call indicates a positive response for a given transaction, how much overall confidence does it give you about inclusion likelihood?
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 10:26:51 PM

Ok, understood. And if this call indicates a positive response for a given transaction, how much overall confidence does it give you about inclusion likelihood?

Anyone know about this?

I'd really like to some kind of metric about block inclusion likelihood for a given transaction.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 11:18:09 PM

Anyone know about this?

I'd really like to some kind of metric about block inclusion likelihood for a given transaction.

A lot depends on the priority of the transaction, number of transactions queued etc.  Generally, if you were to calculate the priority for each transaction, that would give you a good metric showing which ones were most likely to be included sooner than others. e.g. you could say, transaction A is most likely to be included while transaction Z is least likely.  I am not sure if there are statistics about it.

It could be calculated if you were to run a full node, calculate the priority when you see a transaction, and then see how long it takes a transaction of a particular priority to be included in a block.  Doing that for a while would let you create statistics - e.g. perhaps by 20% baskets and then you could say, the top 20% are included within X time with a confidence interval of Y.  Then for each of the other baskets. 

e.g. Look for priority calculations
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees

true-asset

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Uro: 1 URO = 1 metric tonne of Urea N46 fertilizer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 10:35:38 AM

Blockcypher has what you need:

http://dev.blockcypher.com/#zero_confirmations

Uro: A Real Long Term Currency, 1 URO = 1 metric tonne of Urea N46 fertilizer[/url]
Urea N46 tracks gradual increases in energy and food prices over the long term.
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 03:30:10 PM

Wow, this looks awesome - many thanks Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: