Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:17:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can bitcoin survive?  (Read 2898 times)
farfiman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 02:36:01 PM

Ok, I watch lots of youtube "crazies". I don't believe everything they say of course but it does make you think.

Their predictions range from a total financial collapse of the world to the NWO taking over and even aliens,zombies and whatnot.

This is an example of our bitcoin "friend" Max Kieser and the notorious Alex Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtLy3AfpMI

Of course take this with a grain of salt but my question is:

Can bitcoin survive any or all of these scenarios if any would be true?

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:02:55 PM

Ok, I watch lots of youtube "crazies". I don't believe everything they say of course but it does make you think.

Their predictions range from a total financial collapse of the world to the NWO taking over and even aliens,zombies and whatnot.

This is an example of our bitcoin "friend" Max Kieser and the notorious Alex Jones.

Aliens/lizards could fry all our electronics and kill us all... otherwise BTC should be good and may even prevent NWO.

Btw I consider NWO as already happened. The level of control the bankers have over the US/EU is amazing.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:54:39 PM

short answer: yes

long answer: there will be a huge problem with mining but it can be overcome

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 10:33:05 PM

The biggest threat, in case of a crackdown is a state/nation/world wide power outage. Since bitcoin is somewhat dependent on the grid this would also be the weakest link.
But since such a crackdown would have to be made relatively soon and there will be solutions to the threat long before bitcoin would really challenge this system. To that comes that for such a crackdown to be even an option the system would already have passed the point of no return.

Added to that a preliminary defense against it is also part of the solution to replace the system: Off the grid power and community networks.
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 10:43:51 PM

Do I think bitcoin will survive long-term: No.
Do I think that systems like this are how financial transactions will evolve long-term:Yes.

I don't think the bitcoin protocol would properly handle the transaction levels that would come with widespread adoption. Hell, if we were beginning to show growing pains from something as small as satoshidice then clearly there are some pretty major issues out there...
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 10:46:42 PM

The biggest threat, in case of a crackdown is a state/nation/world wide power outage. Since bitcoin is somewhat dependent on the grid this would also be the weakest link.
But since such a crackdown would have to be made relatively soon and there will be solutions to the threat long before bitcoin would really challenge this system. To that comes that for such a crackdown to be even an option the system would already have passed the point of no return.

Added to that a preliminary defense against it is also part of the solution to replace the system: Off the grid power and community networks.
A massive power outage would have to be planned well in advance. Such secrets are impossible to keep. Besides, even if they did kill Bitcoin in America, it would prove their fear of the technology and our *enemies* would reinforce the Bitcoin network globally. If every world government agrees to kill Bitcoin, then we have bigger problems than how we buy our rice and beans.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 08:15:17 AM

I don't think the bitcoin protocol would properly handle the transaction levels that would come with widespread adoption.
Well, please read the numerous threads about the scalability issues, and think again: there is no show stopper as long as super nodes emerge and strive, which will inevitably happen.

Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 03:50:28 PM

It should be also be noted, quoting from DeathandTaxes from the Bitcoin Stackexchange,

Bitcoin is digital cash. Many people today chose not to use cash for online and offline transactions favoring instead indirect payment methods (check, debit card, credit card, gift card, etc). It is probable that higher level payments systems built on top of bitcoin network will emerge. Users of these systems should cause significantly lower transaction volume. For an example lets look at how VISA transactions work. An individual may have 200 VISA transactions in a month but only makes a single payment to the card issuer (a 200:1 multiplier between purchases and actual currency movement). Likewise a company may have a thousands of VISA transactions in a day but recives that as a single currency payment (usually ACH).

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/1708/capabilities-of-bitcoins-and-their-place-in-the-future

Most people are not going to use digital cash for purchases such as ebay or online shopping. They want risk and fraud prevention that someone like a Paypal can offer. If bitcoin is the digital cash of the future, transactions via a system like Paypal would GREATLY limit the amount of transactions, as they likely wouldn't use the blockchain for internal purchases.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 07:59:41 PM

According to many earlier sources bitcoin must already be dead. They are sure it will not even last a year. In reality the my guess as to the3  biggest threats would be:

1. SHA encryption is broken. Bitcoin would be the least of our problems then.
2. A concerted, sustained international effort by governments to make bitcoin illegal.
3. A collapse of the Internet infrastructure. No network, no bitcoin.

As far as aliens or secret societies... Get back in your Mom's basement weirdo.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 06:14:36 AM

According to many earlier sources bitcoin must already be dead. They are sure it will not even last a year. In reality the my guess as to the3  biggest threats would be:

2. A concerted, sustained international effort by governments to make bitcoin illegal.

1. Even if SHA were broken, nobody can spend my coins. They might be able to hash faster, perhaps take over the network for a short while (it would become obvious immediately). My coins are still safe, and the community would transition to a different, unbroken hashing function. A temporary disruption of this kind, while painful in terms of delayed payments, would not be the end of Bitcoin.

2. The more people (including those involved with governments worldwide) have vested interest in Bitcoin, the less likely a concerted attack is.  Most vulnerable days are behind us, and it's only getting better. Gaddafi was a gold bug, no one has outlawed gold; they simply killed him and took his gold.

3. Yes, this would be a problem. However, try talking to people who have been through recent conflicts. Communications infrastructure is surprisingly robust, and disruptions are usually short-lived. Where there is a will, there is a way.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
farfiman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 07:36:02 AM

I said I watch them- not believe them...

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 02:48:14 PM

I said I watch them- not believe them...

1. Even if SHA were broken, nobody can spend my coins. They might be able to hash faster, perhaps take over the network for a short while (it would become obvious immediately). My coins are still safe, and the community would transition to a different, unbroken hashing function. A temporary disruption of this kind, while painful in terms of delayed payments, would not be the end of Bitcoin.

2. The more people (including those involved with governments worldwide) have vested interest in Bitcoin, the less likely a concerted attack is.  Most vulnerable days are behind us, and it's only getting better. Gaddafi was a gold bug, no one has outlawed gold; they simply killed him and took his gold.

3. Yes, this would be a problem. However, try talking to people who have been through recent conflicts. Communications infrastructure is surprisingly robust, and disruptions are usually short-lived. Where there is a will, there is a way.
@farfiman  Oh, that was not at you man. I don't think your concerned about aliens or zombies. But as you point out youtube is full of such nonsense.
@niko all good points. The threats I mention are not certain death, but could profoundly hurt confidence and erode  price.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 10:48:24 PM

Bitcoin is digital cash. Many people today chose not to use cash for online and offline transactions favoring instead indirect payment methods (check, debit card, credit card, gift card, etc). It is probable that higher level payments systems built on top of bitcoin network will emerge. Users of these systems should cause significantly lower transaction volume. For an example lets look at how VISA transactions work. An individual may have 200 VISA transactions in a month but only makes a single payment to the card issuer (a 200:1 multiplier between purchases and actual currency movement). Likewise a company may have a thousands of VISA transactions in a day but recives that as a single currency payment (usually ACH).

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/1708/capabilities-of-bitcoins-and-their-place-in-the-future

Most people are not going to use digital cash for purchases such as ebay or online shopping. They want risk and fraud prevention that someone like a Paypal can offer. If bitcoin is the digital cash of the future, transactions via a system like Paypal would GREATLY limit the amount of transactions, as they likely wouldn't use the blockchain for internal purchases.
[/quote]

however, there are a large number of growing populations that are getting fed up with paypal and hungry for an alternative. Paypal has gotten way out of control lately with defrauding its own users and chargebacks, etc. that paypal is hanging themselves with their own rope.
Comepradz

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 03:03:39 AM

1. There are several level of "broken", yes at worst-case it would be double spending problem

2. At this time, Bitcoin have different adoption than Gold

3. PirateBox + MeshNet anyone? Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: