Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:51:47 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending without transaction fees  (Read 3098 times)
josef2000 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Bro, you need to try http://dadice.com

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 06:32:36 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2015, 08:00:35 PM by josef2000

Hello,
I read many things about transfees(not be included in a block)
Any I saw many transactions without fees and still getting confirmed.
How is that possible and how can I actually do it?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
lolled

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 06:44:21 PM

Hello,

Well the rule of thumb is never send a transaction without a fee. It may take a month to confirm. The prioirity is low for such transactions.

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 06:45:31 PM

Just use a wallet that lets you set the fee (I can't find a way to do it with Multi-bit, but Electrum lets you set your fee), and give it a try. It might take days for the transaction to go through, though, so don't try it with an important sum of BTC.

In general, though, I wish people would just pony up the 2.8 cents and feel good about supporting the network...

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
lolled

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 07:06:46 PM

Just use a wallet that lets you set the fee (I can't find a way to do it with Multi-bit, but Electrum lets you set your fee), and give it a try. It might take days for the transaction to go through, though, so don't try it with an important sum of BTC.

In general, though, I wish people would just pony up the 2.8 cents and feel good about supporting the network...

Yes,Multibit does not allow its users to be able to change the fees themselves. It is permanently set to 0.0001

josef2000 (OP)

Activity: 280

Bro, you need to try http://dadice.com

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 07:08:11 PM

Is it possible to somehow set the fees in the original bitcoin-qt?

█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 07:23:21 PM

It was certainly possible, and I don't know if it has changed, but instead of thinking how to use the network for free, you'd better think about how to make it fast and sustainable. If I were a miner, there's no way I would let a transaction go through without a fee.

Think about the miner's point of view: why should he accept transactions without a fee?

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 07:42:06 PM

Yes,Multibit does not allow its users to be able to change the fees themselves. It is permanently set to 0.0001
So if fee goes up will we need an update to not be set into low priority?

Or use a wallet that let's you set the fee per kb.
RedhatCAT

Activity: 123

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 07:52:48 PM

As long as your transaction is small enough (in terms of the size measured in kb) then pools will confirm a no transaction fee. The max size that pools will accept not containing fees varies from pool to pool.

There are other considerations that pools take into consideration as well when determining if they will confirm a no tx fee transaction, including (but not limited to): number of bitcoin days destroyed, size (measured by amount of bitcoin) of both the inputs and outputs. Again the policies regarding the criteria to allow transactions to be included in a found block varies from pool to pool.

Generally speaking, if you include a transaction fee of .0001 (equal to roughly 2.8 cents) then your transaction will be included in the next found block. IMO this is a very small price to pay for next block confirmation
MegaHustlr

Activity: 601
Merit: 500

Vote 4fryn :)

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:35:02 PM

That's true for big transactions.
Let's suppose you are sending 0.03 btc to someone , so generally you pay 0.0001 as transaction fees , but i sometimes crop it to half i.e. 0.00005 and still get same confirmation time, though it is not recommended and before you use them , Remember that they might take some days to pass

▄  ▀▄▄   ▀▄▄ ▀▄ ▀▄
             ▀█▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████ ▄
         ▀████▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀███▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▀      ██▀▀     ▄██▀▀▀   █     ██
██    ▀█  ▄█▀▀▀▄  ▀█   ▄█▀   ▄▄▄ ▀██  █▀▀▄▀▄

▀▀▀   ▐█ █▌    ▐▌  █  ▐█ ▄█▀▀   █ █  ▄▀ ▄█ ▌
      ▐▌ ▀█ ▄▀▄█  █▀  █  █      ▐▌ █▀ █    ▀▄
      █     ▄█▀  ▀▀▀▀▄█  ▀█▄▄▀ ▄▀  █▄ █  ██ ▐▌
     █   ▄███▄▄███▄▄▄▄       ▄█▄▄▄▄ █▄    ▀  █ ▄
   ▄█▀▀▀▀     █▀      █   ▄█▀▀███    ▀▀▄▄   ▄██
  ▐█         ▐▌       ▐▌▄▀     ██        ▀███ ▐█
  █           ▀▄      ▐█▀       ▀█           ▀▀
  █▄           ██     ██         ██▄
   █▀            ▀     ▀          ▀█▀

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄██▄▄                ▄▄██▄
  ████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████▌
█████▀                  ▀█████▌
████    ███▄      ▄███    ████▌
████   ▐████      ████▌   ████
 ███    ▀██▀      ▀██▀    ███▀
  ▀██▄                  ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████████████████▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
ticoti

Activity: 854

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:36:24 PM

You can send sometimes transactions without fees but you have to be care with what you do it, I never send it without fees so I don't have to worry about if it arrives
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3262

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 09:21:27 PM

That's true for big transactions.
Let's suppose you are sending 0.03 btc to someone , so generally you pay 0.0001 as transaction fees , but i sometimes crop it to half i.e. 0.00005 and still get same confirmation time, though it is not recommended and before you use them , Remember that they might take some days to pass

In general, paying a fee of 0.00005 per kb is the same as paying nothing. However, each miner sets their own fee policy, so some miners might choose a transaction paying 0.00005 per kb over a transaction paying no fee.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Alexis

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 09:35:50 PM

The fees are sooo small...
Just pay them like everyone else.
wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 10:45:36 PM

this fee helps the bitcoin network running and its not much its not worth much for one , but there are some wallets who allow to change the fee but once it take 3 days almost

mlferro

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 10:56:43 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2015, 01:28:26 PM by mlferro

this fee helps the bitcoin network running and its not much its not worth much for one , but there are some wallets who allow to change the fee but once it take 3 days almost
yes, to change the rates (reducing) probably will cause the very long transaction

OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 11:08:27 PM

kingcolex, Alexis, countryfree, lolled and ebliever

I'm with you guys.  Just pay the 3 cents...

Smiley

To keep the miners in business and the BTC network maintained, three cents is almost nothing, a bargain.
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3659
Merit: 1448

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 12:46:29 AM

... the fee's keep the network going around and around, ...
this fee helps the bitcoin network running ....
To keep the miners in business and the BTC network maintained, .....
What are you guys talking about?

99.5% of what keeps the network running is the reward of 25 BTC,
compared to that, ~0.1BTC in fees is nothing, that's not what keeps a miner in business.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 01:11:48 AM

It was certainly possible, and I don't know if it has changed, but instead of thinking how to use the network for free, you'd better think about how to make it fast and sustainable. If I were a miner, there's no way I would let a transaction go through without a fee.

Think about the miner's point of view: why should he accept transactions without a fee?

Im using bitcoin core 0.10, and it lets you to decide on the fees or no fees option, and also provides an auto estimation on how much the
fee should be for the transaction to be processed quickly.

theres some more info here (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/0.10/doc/release-notes.md#0100-change-log)for those who are like me and still dont use those fancy wallets everyone has today.

@op just pay the fee, its not worth it waiting possibly days/weeks for your transaction to be confirmed (unless its something realy small), and the fee is funny,
dont know why some people make such a fuss about it.

cheers
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 07:41:37 AM

Hello,
i found out that it is possible to send a transaction without any fees but in fact changing the fees depend on your wallet!
my experience is if you are using blockchain.info you can easily change it to zero and send it if it is not confirmed within 2 days it will be rebroadcasted automatically until it gets confirmed.
if you are using Multibit or Electrum the only way to change the fee is to change the coding and compile the wallet again!

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
noma

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 08:02:17 AM

Hello,
i found out that it is possible to send a transaction without any fees but in fact changing the fees depend on your wallet!
my experience is if you are using blockchain.info you can easily change it to zero and send it if it is not confirmed within 2 days it will be rebroadcasted automatically until it gets confirmed.
if you are using Multibit or Electrum the only way to change the fee is to change the coding and compile the wallet again!

Multibit doesn't allow you to change the fees. Trying to coding and compiling the wallet yourself, can complicate things and is not recommended.

▓▓▓▓    New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange             → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓    Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 12:12:02 PM

How is it that some people are able to send low fee transactions and get faster confirmations? I have received couple of transactions in the past where the sender sent with fee as low as 300-400 satoshi and they got confirmed within a few minutes. And I always add 10k Sats miner fee at-least yet my TXs take a long time to confirm.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████