Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:24:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending without transaction fees  (Read 3101 times)
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 12:15:19 PM

If you really need to test it out, one of the ways to do it is to use electrum wallet which allows you to adjust the fees. But I wouldn't move to that and take that kind of risk. The transaction might be stuck for days which happened before to me before. And also paying the standard 0.0001 fee might not be a bad thing after all. It's still very cheap compared to the other money transfer options. 

neoneros

Activity: 462

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 01:11:17 PM

How is it that some people are able to send low fee transactions and get faster confirmations? I have received couple of transactions in the past where the sender sent with fee as low as 300-400 satoshi and they got confirmed within a few minutes. And I always add 10k Sats miner fee at-least yet my TXs take a long time to confirm.

It has to do with the size of the transaction, the amount is made up of parts of other blocks to meet the value, if it is put together with a lot of small amounts the size in kb is bigger then when it is put together by bigger chunks.

najzenmajsen

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 01:15:10 PM

If you send an transaction without a fee , it will work. However its gonna take shitload of time , and you should pay at a minimum a 10k sat fee for fast transactions.
Gisado

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Yoohoo

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 01:31:36 PM

This lucky tx got confirmed after 5 hrs and 40 mins. lol
fildza

Activity: 322

Ask me anything if you have any problem

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 01:36:01 PM

That depend on the size of transaction. I already try many times before and the transaction not long but not fast enough yet still confirmed

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 02:04:51 PM

How is it that some people are able to send low fee transactions and get faster confirmations? I have received couple of transactions in the past where the sender sent with fee as low as 300-400 satoshi and they got confirmed within a few minutes. And I always add 10k Sats miner fee at-least yet my TXs take a long time to confirm.

It has to do with the size of the transaction, the amount is made up of parts of other blocks to meet the value, if it is put together with a lot of small amounts the size in kb is bigger then when it is put together by bigger chunks.

I see. Thanks for your explanation, I understand a little about it, I guess I have to read on about TX fees in details to understand completely how it's done.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 02:20:07 PM

i found out that it is possible to send a transaction without any fees but in fact changing the fees depend on your wallet!
my experience is if you are using blockchain.info you can easily change it to zero and send it if it is not confirmed within 2 days it will be rebroadcasted automatically until it gets confirmed.
if you are using Multibit or Electrum the only way to change the fee is to change the coding and compile the wallet again!

This is incorrect so far as Electrum goes. I'm using v. 1.9.8. In it go to Tools-->Preferences, and you will see the field Transaction Fee that you can edit. So far as I know there are no limits on what you can put there for a fee. The Help tool-tip for it does recommend a value of .0002 BTC.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 02:22:40 PM

Hello,
I read many things about transfees(not be included in a block)
Any I saw many transactions without fees and still getting confirmed.
How is that possible and how can I actually do it?

You have to use a wallet where you can manually define which fee you want to pay. Most wallets do this automatically. Miners may decide freely which transactions they include in a block, some may thus opt to just include some free transactions, even if it reduces their chance of having the block on the main-chain slightly (transfer time of a bigger block)

MegaHustlr

Activity: 601

Vote 4fryn :)

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 04:26:48 PM

That's true for big transactions.
Let's suppose you are sending 0.03 btc to someone , so generally you pay 0.0001 as transaction fees , but i sometimes crop it to half i.e. 0.00005 and still get same confirmation time, though it is not recommended and before you use them , Remember that they might take some days to pass

In general, paying a fee of 0.00005 per kb is the same as paying nothing. However, each miner sets their own fee policy, so some miners might choose a transaction paying 0.00005 per kb over a transaction paying no fee.

Though that might be true , but for small transaction which are mostly in bytes i never pay 0.0001 fees but 0.00005 and the confirmation time is same as other

▄  ▀▄▄   ▀▄▄ ▀▄ ▀▄
             ▀█▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████ ▄
         ▀████▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀███▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▀      ██▀▀     ▄██▀▀▀   █     ██
██    ▀█  ▄█▀▀▀▄  ▀█   ▄█▀   ▄▄▄ ▀██  █▀▀▄▀▄

▀▀▀   ▐█ █▌    ▐▌  █  ▐█ ▄█▀▀   █ █  ▄▀ ▄█ ▌
      ▐▌ ▀█ ▄▀▄█  █▀  █  █      ▐▌ █▀ █    ▀▄
      █     ▄█▀  ▀▀▀▀▄█  ▀█▄▄▀ ▄▀  █▄ █  ██ ▐▌
     █   ▄███▄▄███▄▄▄▄       ▄█▄▄▄▄ █▄    ▀  █ ▄
   ▄█▀▀▀▀     █▀      █   ▄█▀▀███    ▀▀▄▄   ▄██
  ▐█         ▐▌       ▐▌▄▀     ██        ▀███ ▐█
  █           ▀▄      ▐█▀       ▀█           ▀▀
  █▄           ██     ██         ██▄
   █▀            ▀     ▀          ▀█▀

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄██▄▄                ▄▄██▄
  ████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████▌
█████▀                  ▀█████▌
████    ███▄      ▄███    ████▌
████   ▐████      ████▌   ████
 ███    ▀██▀      ▀██▀    ███▀
  ▀██▄                  ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████████████████▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
ikydesu

Activity: 686

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 05:28:43 PM

Hello,
I read many things about transfees(not be included in a block)

Whether maybe because the transaction volume?
is better to pay dust for smooth transaction Smiley

~iki
jh0w4n1z

Activity: 340

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 05:35:40 PM
Last edit: July 13, 2015, 04:24:08 PM by jh0w4n1z

dont you even want to pay 0.0001 for using a free service ? Though that might be true , but for small transaction which are mostly in bytes i never pay 0.0001 fees but 0.00005 and the confirmation time is same as other
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 05:47:12 PM

That's true for big transactions.
Let's suppose you are sending 0.03 btc to someone , so generally you pay 0.0001 as transaction fees , but i sometimes crop it to half i.e. 0.00005 and still get same confirmation time, though it is not recommended and before you use them , Remember that they might take some days to pass

In general, paying a fee of 0.00005 per kb is the same as paying nothing. However, each miner sets their own fee policy, so some miners might choose a transaction paying 0.00005 per kb over a transaction paying no fee.

Though that might be true , but for small transaction which are mostly in bytes i never pay 0.0001 fees but 0.00005 and the confirmation time is same as other

That is pretty interesting but seeing how the transaction is in bytes , it's no wonder that works .
Have you tried it for bigger transaction ?
BTW just wondering , what do you do saving 0.00005 btc ? Undecided
jbrnt

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 05:58:07 PM

Every transaction has a "priority" calcuated by the value, confirmations of its inputs, and transaction size. If you mature some coins long enough and transaction size is below 1k, you can send it for free. The theory says you rest 1 btc for 1 day, you can send it for free. In practice, it's not that simple. Don't try it if you are not sure, attach a fee and have peace of mind.
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 06:12:37 PM

Every transaction has a "priority" calcuated by the value, confirmations of its inputs, and transaction size. If you mature some coins long enough and transaction size is below 1k, you can send it for free. The theory says you rest 1 btc for 1 day, you can send it for free. In practice, it's not that simple. Don't try it if you are not sure, attach a fee and have peace of mind.

If you mature some coins long enough and transaction size is below 1k, you can send it for free

Never knew this , so let us suppose if a address like this

https://blockchain.info/address/1CFBdvaiZgZPTZERqnezAtDQJuGHKoHSzg

ever gets active and decides to send the coin , he /she/they can send it without fees and still get it confirmed ?
josef2000 (OP)

Activity: 280

Bro, you need to try http://dadice.com

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 06:21:03 PM

I know the problem with confirmations and I can easily afford the fess, I am just curious about the fees etc.
Many of you say miners wouldnt accept the transaction without fees, so can a miner set what kind of transactions they want to include in a block or is it just the network doing it randomly?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
MegaHustlr

Activity: 601

Vote 4fryn :)

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 07:29:04 PM

That is pretty interesting but seeing how the transaction is in bytes , it's no wonder that works .
Have you tried it for bigger transaction ?
BTW just wondering , what do you do saving 0.00005 btc ? Undecided

Nope! never took risks with bigger transaction as i see what happen to them.
Well! 0.00005 btc is more than what Faucets pay Wink

▄  ▀▄▄   ▀▄▄ ▀▄ ▀▄
             ▀█▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████ ▄
         ▀████▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀███▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▀      ██▀▀     ▄██▀▀▀   █     ██
██    ▀█  ▄█▀▀▀▄  ▀█   ▄█▀   ▄▄▄ ▀██  █▀▀▄▀▄

▀▀▀   ▐█ █▌    ▐▌  █  ▐█ ▄█▀▀   █ █  ▄▀ ▄█ ▌
      ▐▌ ▀█ ▄▀▄█  █▀  █  █      ▐▌ █▀ █    ▀▄
      █     ▄█▀  ▀▀▀▀▄█  ▀█▄▄▀ ▄▀  █▄ █  ██ ▐▌
     █   ▄███▄▄███▄▄▄▄       ▄█▄▄▄▄ █▄    ▀  █ ▄
   ▄█▀▀▀▀     █▀      █   ▄█▀▀███    ▀▀▄▄   ▄██
  ▐█         ▐▌       ▐▌▄▀     ██        ▀███ ▐█
  █           ▀▄      ▐█▀       ▀█           ▀▀
  █▄           ██     ██         ██▄
   █▀            ▀     ▀          ▀█▀

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄██▄▄                ▄▄██▄
  ████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████▌
█████▀                  ▀█████▌
████    ███▄      ▄███    ████▌
████   ▐████      ████▌   ████
 ███    ▀██▀      ▀██▀    ███▀
  ▀██▄                  ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████████████████▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 07:46:07 PM

use blockchain.info wallet, they let you set a fee of 0

You can get away with it only if your coins are old, because the main purpose of the fee is to defeat spam. So if you rarely move your coins, you are good.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3274

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 10:12:58 PM

I know the problem with confirmations and I can easily afford the fess, I am just curious about the fees etc.
Many of you say miners wouldnt accept the transaction without fees, so can a miner set what kind of transactions they want to include in a block or is it just the network doing it randomly?

Miners are free to set their own policy for determining which transactions are included and which are not. Most miners follow Bitcoin Core's policy, but some do not.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
jbrnt

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 03:33:03 PM

If you mature some coins long enough and transaction size is below 1k, you can send it for free

Never knew this , so let us suppose if a address like this
https://blockchain.info/address/1CFBdvaiZgZPTZERqnezAtDQJuGHKoHSzg
ever gets active and decides to send the coin , he /she/they can send it without fees and still get it confirmed ?

The address you linked has 50btc in it and has been resting for years. It will qualify for a free transaction. It might not get confirmation within minutes, but I am sure it will eventually. It is up to the miners whether to accept transactions with no fees. Most do.
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 12:00:50 AM

I have done it some times but you have to be careful with dust transactions, I wouldn't do it with high amounts, it is risky
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: