Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:07:43 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Password recovery question , can load wallet but forgot PW/ seed can't send BTC?  (Read 2567 times)
xxDUFFYxx (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:13:54 PM

I accidentally sent btc to the default_wallet in electrum for which I don't know the password or seed . I've tried every password I use and nothing , I made this wallet a long time ago and never have used it but now it has btc in it that I need out . Any help please .
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:18:30 PM

If there was a way to bypass encryption it would be useless.  An attacker would just use the same bypass to spend coins without the password.  Unless you can remember the password the coins are effectively lost.
xxDUFFYxx (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:38:50 PM

I think it was something simple , is there a way to try to bruteforce it ? I saw something a while ago about doing this ? Like I have the dat file , can load the wallet I just can't for the life of me remember the password . The btc I sent to the wallet yesterday is the first transaction on the wallet , I never used this wallet prior but it always loads first .
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 04:47:01 AM

A user made a script a couple years ago for bruteforcing wallets. Here's a link to his post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.msg942171#msg942171

I know it works with Qt wallets (I had to use it myself about a year and a half ago) but I'm not sure if it will work with Electrum wallets.

Your other option is to ask Wallet Recovery Services if they can help you out. If it was a simple password (< 6 characters) then chances are they might be able to crack your wallet password and get you access to your funds.
TTom

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 01:10:55 AM

I accidentally sent btc to the default_wallet in electrum for which I don't know the password or seed . I've tried every password I use and nothing , I made this wallet a long time ago and never have used it but now it has btc in it that I need out . Any help please .

Same thing happened to me.  I installed Electrum to poke around about a year ago and must have set up a wallet with a password.

Here I am a year later and I installed 2.0, opened it and didn't even think about the fact that I set up a wallet previously, and Electrum opened this old wallet.  Transferred bitcoins to it and then got prompted for a password when I tried to transfer them out of it. 

I have no idea what the password could be.  I mean I tried all my personal usual suspects to no avail.

I completely own that it's on me but it might be helpful in future versions if you install a newer version of Electrum than the wallet "version" (confirmed that there are such things) some prompt comes up to warn you that you're using an older wallet instead of the application just starting up ready for use by opening the default wallet, if it exists.  Or require the wallet password when opening the application.

I mean I get why it just opens the default wallet assuming that you have your shit together enough to know you had a previous wallet on your computer but it still seems like an frustrating disconnect to casual users.

Anyway, to answer your question, no, there's not much you can do but join me in the PEBKAC club.

Cool
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 12:42:47 AM

I'm pretty late in responding here, but I thought I'd do so anyways.

There is (at least) one tool that can attempt brute-forcing an Electrum wallet, it's available here: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover.

The Quick Start is here: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#btcrecover-tutorial

Of course, it's pretty much useless if you have no idea what your password is, but if you do have an idea it might help. (Full disclosure: I'm the author of that tool.)

If anyone has any questions about it, just let me know.
xxDUFFYxx (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 08:39:33 PM

it's got .25 btc not a lot but a lot to me . is there a default password for the default wallet?
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 09:32:56 PM

it's got .25 btc not a lot but a lot to me . is there a default password for the default wallet?
There isn't a default password for an Electrum wallet. The password on the wallet would be a password that you set earlier. If it's worth it to you, and you think that your password is 6 characters or less try and use BTCRecover. Start with a scan for just one character, then two, three, etc. If you've tried up to five or six characters, then I'd stop because chances are you won't find the password seeing as each character makes it exponentially more difficult to find the potential password.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: