Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:11:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie and buying 1st BitCoin Questions  (Read 1618 times)
mayday23 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 07:40:20 PM

Hi Everyone – I’m a newbie and have been reading up on BitCoin over the last 8 hours. I’m a US person and plan to use BitCoin for gambling.

I was originally going to sign up for coinbase, but there are reports of them blocking gambling transactions. Because of that, I signed up for blockchain.info.

It appears I cannot actually buy bitcoins from blockchain.info, so I clicked through their “partner” btc.sx

I created an account, then realized I couldn’t buy BitCoins there as they state “To use BTC.sx, deposits must be made in Bitcoin. “

So how do I actually buy Bitcoins and get them into blockchain.info? I don’t have a desire for a face to face transaction, so I would like to pay using a US bank account. Would I buy them at Cirlce, then transfer them to blockchain.info?
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jorjito25

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 07:49:06 PM

U can buy it wherever  u like and the transfer to a blockchain wallet or to a diferent wallet.  Every transfer will cost u about 2 or 3 cents of dollar.

U could buy at bit-x at bitstamp at localbitcoin, to a member of this forum... Many ways to do it.
 Let me know if u need some help.
My english is a bit Poor but there are many members willing to help u.
Regards.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:03:47 PM

try to buy here on the forum, chose only trusted member, better to go safe and deal with high rank member(don't look at me i'm not selling)  Grin

or just use localbitcoins; kraken also is a good option, since it does not require any document for small amount( up to $2k a day)
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:20:20 PM

Hi Everyone – I’m a newbie and have been reading up on BitCoin over the last 8 hours. I’m a US person and plan to use BitCoin for gambling.

I was originally going to sign up for coinbase, but there are reports of them blocking gambling transactions. Because of that, I signed up for blockchain.info.

It appears I cannot actually buy bitcoins from blockchain.info, so I clicked through their “partner” btc.sx

I created an account, then realized I couldn’t buy BitCoins there as they state “To use BTC.sx, deposits must be made in Bitcoin. “

So how do I actually buy Bitcoins and get them into blockchain.info? I don’t have a desire for a face to face transaction, so I would like to pay using a US bank account. Would I buy them at Cirlce, then transfer them to blockchain.info?

Of your options, I would buy through circle and transfer to blockchain. Buying from a person needs a little bit of orangization and trust, I personally prefer exchanges. 

Can you not buy from Coinbase? They are an official US exchange now, with VC money behind them, they should be safe as houses.
mayday23 (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:46:09 PM

I'm hesitant to involve coinbase since they've cut off gambling transactions. I agree that an exchange is better for me, i just don't know enough about this to trust a person to person exchange (even if that person has high reviews)
Philipd

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:51:31 PM

bought some btc here from a trusted trader. is was a lot faster for me.

kwaasteniet

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:56:18 PM

You can try localbitcoins or there is maybe a bitcoin ATM in your neighborhood.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 09:07:15 PM

I'm hesitant to involve coinbase since they've cut off gambling transactions. I agree that an exchange is better for me, i just don't know enough about this to trust a person to person exchange (even if that person has high reviews)

If you buy the bitcoin through Coinbase, but move them to blockchain, then it has nothing to do with Coinbase anymore what you do with your bitcoin. I wouldn't use your Coinbase account to gamble, but you don't plan to do that anyway  Smiley
L

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 09:27:34 PM

If you buy the bitcoin through Coinbase, but move them to blockchain, then it has nothing to do with Coinbase anymore what you do with your bitcoin. I wouldn't use your Coinbase account to gamble, but you don't plan to do that anyway  Smiley

This ^

And use Shared Send when sending from Blockchain.info wallet to your desired gambling website, this way your coins are mixed and Coinbase is unable to track them.
jorjito25

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 10:18:22 PM

There are members that u wont have any problem trading with them.
We could suggest you some of them if u want.
Regards!
mayday23 (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 10:22:39 PM

Regards!

Any recommendations are appreciated. I'm looking to buy $1K USD worth if that matters...
jorjito25

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:05:27 PM

I suggest you to buy little by little.
For example 1btc, 1btc,... Just I case....
I used bitstamp and worked very good!
Bitx is also very good!

Edit: Use scrow that will protect you.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:10:57 PM

Regards!

Any recommendations are appreciated. I'm looking to buy $1K USD worth if that matters...

Have you looked into circle.com? That'll be cheaper and a whole load less sketchier than handing over money on here.

It's been said that Coinbase is tracking transactions a couple of transfers down the line. I've no idea where they find the time for that but it might be true.

Instead of mixing you could also send your coins from coinbase to another exchange and then withdraw.
PenguinFire

Activity: 154

That Darn Cat

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:11:43 PM

What caused them do so?  This worries me because I use Coinbase and I gamble daily.  Undecided

gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:13:49 PM

What caused them do so?  This worries me because I use Coinbase and I gamble daily.  Undecided

They're desperate to appear whiter than white. There's a lot of people who are claiming problems so look into covering your tracks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/poker/comments/2dxuqw/be_careful_seals_users_coinbase_has_blocked_me/
PenguinFire

That Darn Cat

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:20:09 PM

It is my understanding US law does not consider it gambling as they do not consider bitcoin a currency.

gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:22:18 PM

It is my understanding US law does not consider it gambling as they do not consider bitcoin a currency.

They're a lot more worried about perception rather than the letter of the law. Ultimately they're a private entity so they can choose who they do and don't deal with and verifiable gambling = potential trouble from The Man.
PenguinFire

That Darn Cat

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:29:03 PM

I understand.  What online wallet would be best for me for day to day gambling transactions?  Thank you for replying sir.

Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:40:24 PM

I understand.  What online wallet would be best for me for day to day gambling transactions?  Thank you for replying sir.

Don't use any online wallets. Use desktop wallets.
I recommend you Electrum. If you use different address on every transaction then there won't be a problem.
But remember that; If you want to sell Bitcoin and get cash, you need to launder this gambling btc. So you've some options;
1- Using bitcoin mixing service like bitmixer.io
2- Using exchanges to launder money. For example: you've 1 btc, send 0.2 to c-cex, 0.8 to bittrex, then send 0.4 from bittrex to c-cex, then send 0.6 from c-cex to btc-usd exchange, and 0.4 from bittrex to btc-usd site.

If the second option is complicated for you I suggest you to use mixing service, it's quite easy to use.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 11:41:21 PM

Hmm. Not my area of expertise I'm afraid. There are plenty of coin mixers and tumblers out there which'll make inputs very hard to trace and the blockchain.info wallet has the shared send feature but I'm not sure how reliable it is. No doubt someone'll be along with a proper answer soon.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: