Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:55:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Auction Results Thread!  (Read 5017 times)
chriswen (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:46:26 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2015, 09:16:07 PM by chriswen

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/05/us-bitcoin-auction-idUSKBN0M11WJ20150305

Billionaire venture capitalist Tim Draper said he would be a bidder. "Probably the best deal anyone will get," said Draper on Thursday in an email to Reuters.
SecondMarket, owned and founded by Barry Silbert, won the bidding for 48,000 bitcoins auctioned in December. Silbert told Reuters that SecondMarket would participate in Thursday's auction, but his firm has not created a syndicate for the sale.
Pantera Capital, an investment fund founded by Dan Morehead, a former senior executive at hedge fund Tiger Management, said in its newsletter it is also participating and has formed a syndicate for the auction.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-05/secondmarket-among-bidders-in-third-silk-road-bitcoin-auction

Some 14 participants submitted 34 bids

Draper said he didn't participate in the bidding.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2y6ha9/second_market_failed_to_win_bitcoins_in_latest/

SecondMarket Inc. said it wasn’t among the winners of the U.S. government’s third bitcoin auction

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/19512/us-marshals-auction-participant-price-not-significantly-market/

According to Kardashev Capital, whose bid of $221.51 per bitcoin was approximately 17 percent under the market value of the coins as of the close of bidding on Thursday, it did not win any lots.

“While we’re disappointed to learn that we weren’t a winning bidder, I’m glad to hear that the bitcoins sold closer to or even above market price,” said Kardashev Capital partner Greg Gum.

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/575359795991023617

[US Marshals press] The three winning bidders in the US Marshals Bitcoin auction won quantities totaling 27,000 , 20,000 and 3,000 bitcoins. The Bitcoin transfers to the winners have been completed

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-exchange-itbit-us-marshals-auction-win/

itBit is reporting it successfully secured 3,000 BTC

Winners:

Nice graph of the three winners.

It seems like the 27k was to a syndicate that was split up into 2k, 14k, 5k, 6k.

It seems that the syndicate was Cumberland Mining.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:53:19 PM

I don't think we'll get any insider information unless someone that's bidding (a whale) wants to step on his own leg by leaking information. So don't expect much information on this.

Exactly, you can get reliable and official informations because its not disclosed for the public, and if there is some sort of leak of information,
it will probably be from buyers side. Since i dont believe in coincidences, if the leak happens and it seams very positive, im selling as soon as the suckers who believe it raise the price.Same goes Vice-versa.

cheers
bri912678

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 05:05:58 PM

We never found out what anyone paid in the previous auctions. I only found one losing bidder who disclosed what he bid in the first auction. Tim Draper refused to say what he paid. I don't expect any difference for this auction, although I expect people will be stating it's a fact the winners paid x dollars without anything to prove it.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 05:20:42 PM

I don't think we'll get any insider information unless someone that's bidding (a whale) wants to step on his own leg by leaking information. So don't expect much information on this.

even if some whale says the price we will never know the truth.

I doubt US gov would confirm or deny any info about it
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 06:22:14 PM

even if some whale says the price we will never know the truth.

I doubt US gov would confirm or deny any info about it

If a whale says the price the whale is probably playing reverse psychology to scam us all anyway.
chriswen (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:56:52 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2y6ha9/second_market_failed_to_win_bitcoins_in_latest/

SecondMarket Inc. said it wasn’t among the winners of the U.S. government’s third bitcoin auction
kashish948
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 10:32:38 PM

it usually sells at a price higher than market price.....
chriswen (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:33:24 PM

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/19512/us-marshals-auction-participant-price-not-significantly-market/

According to Kardashev Capital, whose bid of $221.51 per bitcoin was approximately 17 percent under the market value of the coins as of the close of bidding on Thursday, it did not win any lots.

“While we’re disappointed to learn that we weren’t a winning bidder, I’m glad to hear that the bitcoins sold closer to or even above market price,” said Kardashev Capital partner Greg Gum.

I'm not exactly surprised his bid didn't get filled.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 12:25:48 AM

Im suggesting it sells at around 30% higher, they know they can make a shit ton in the long term and intelligent whales don't want to miss this opportunity.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 12:52:54 AM

Now if they would only be kind enough to provide honest informations regarding how high their offer was, it would be much easier to predict future movement, short term ofc.
I think the price went over the market value for sure, but there is sadly no way of knowing without publicly disclosed bids from feds, and that wont happen.

cheers
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 01:05:17 AM

Im suggesting it sells at around 30% higher, they know they can make a shit ton in the long term and intelligent whales don't want to miss this opportunity.

If I won the auction here's what I would do: Buy one coin on margin for every coin I sold. As long as the market doesn't drop far enough for a margin call, it's free money. Remove leverage near the top of the next bubble, short down to 40% of ATH, cover.  Buy one coin on margin for every coin you sell after that, rinse and repeat. 

This strategy would have made piles of money in every bubble up until now, but past performance is no guarantee etc, etc.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
hdd3go
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 02:03:06 AM

If it did, why not the bidders buy Bitcoins in market instead of costing a higher price on a acution?
waterpile

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 02:13:39 AM

These are financial companies they won't buy those coins if its %30 higher they would made a instant loss already..
resya

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 02:45:44 AM

people who were buying those coins are billionaires and can probably wait a little before they start selling those coins but they eventually will, just question which concerns us is when and how fast

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
bri912678

Activity: 348

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 11:06:40 AM

I'm not exactly surprised his bid didn't get filled.

Did he only bid on one lot, or more than one? One little lot of 2k would cost $442000 at his bid price of $221.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 11:29:29 AM

it's good that they bought at 30%  higher price, this mean that current value is somehow safe, and the price will rise by 30% before any dump occur, because of that auction
Monetizer

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 11:30:36 AM

it's good that they bought at 30%  higher price, this mean that current value is somehow safe, and the price will rise by 30% before any dump occur, because of that auction

I agree, I think this shows there is a fair bit of hope with people outside the world of bitcoin.
resya

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 12:18:25 PM

Can you provide us the link to your claim that the bidders bought at 30% higher price ? As far as I concern, it's just a rumour

█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:12:24 PM

it's good that they bought at 30%  higher price, this mean that current value is somehow safe, and the price will rise by 30% before any dump occur, because of that auction

Can you provide us the link to your claim that the bidders bought at 30% higher price ? As far as I concern, it's just a rumour

well yes just a rumor, i read it somewhere in the forum, don't remember know, there was a guy that said it

ok here you go

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=960634.msg10679456#msg10679456
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:23:19 PM

it's good that they bought at 30%  higher price, this mean that current value is somehow safe, and the price will rise by 30% before any dump occur, because of that auction

well yes just a rumor, i read it somewhere in the forum, don't remember know, there was a guy that said it

ok here you go

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=960634.msg10679456#msg10679456

After the previous auctions took place, I've heard the price was actually lower than the market price.

It is bidding after all.. they might have been sold for $100 , otherwise, why would you bid higher then the market price ? (you always have the option to buy off the market..)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: