Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:00:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback from Tor user about bitcointalk.org and freenode #bitcoin*  (Read 1409 times)
nonsh (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:13:27 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2012, 11:55:51 PM by nonsh

I want to give some feedback about bitcointalk.org forums and the Freenode bitcoin IRC channels from perspective of an anonymous Tor user.

Bitcointalk.org registration checks are bad. It checks everything, it wasn't happy with some of my information supplied. Name already taken, captcha wrong... All infos were finally accepted then it tells Tor users not allowed to register. That feels like a very bad joke. Why not tell upfront that registration over Tor is impossible? That should be the first check.

I couldn't register over Tor.

The shared bugmenot forum account has been banned as well.  Sad

Joining the IRC bitcoin community is also hard for Tor users. Freenode provides a hidden service but also requires to authenticate over SASL. Ironically you can not create a Freenode account over Tor. I mailed them, they know the issue and plan a web service to register Freenode accounts. I need to find a proxy which I can chain which isn't banned on Freenode just to register, that's difficult to find. Must be a proxy on a non-standard port and not be in any proxy blacklist lists, very difficult to find.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:26:58 PM

I will sell you tinfoil for your hat, only BTC1
nonsh (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 08:54:45 PM

While Bitcoin supports anonymity this forums fights it.

Other than the stuff I talked above, it gets even worse. There are additional IP blocks.

But I don't want only to complain. What could be the solution?

Obviously I am here here to learn more about BTC and to buy BTC. There are still 0 BTC in my wallet.

I am willing to pay anonymously by paysafecard for an forum account. Wouldn't a fair amount prove I am not going to spam?

I will sell you tinfoil for your hat, only BTC1
Selling accounts without IP bans, allowed over Tor and allowed to post everywhere within the rules would be more interesting.
serp

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

@serp

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 09:13:23 PM

There are plenty of .onion websites out there that allow you to use bitcoins anonymously.

Bitcoin is for both the completely anonymous and for more traditional transactions.
This forum and the freenode #bitcoin* channels are for the other side.

nonsh (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:39:41 PM

There are plenty of .onion websites out there that allow you to use bitcoins anonymously.
To get BTC anonymously I can only buy paysafecard offline and convert into BTC. Everything else can be traced. And in this forum I've seen most threads about this kind of exchange.

Bitcoin is for both the completely anonymous and for more traditional transactions.
This forum and the freenode #bitcoin* channels are for the other side.
There is no such statement that anonymous people are not welcome here.
serp

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

@serp

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 10:07:17 PM

To get BTC anonymously I can only buy paysafecard offline and convert into BTC. Everything else can be traced. And in this forum I've seen most threads about this kind of exchange.

There is no such statement that anonymous people are not welcome here.

If you look in the Marketplace most transactions here are non-anonymous ones.

And nobody said anonymous people aren't welcome here.  It's just not the focus here like it is on .onion sites.

nonsh (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:50:26 PM

If you look in the Marketplace most transactions here are non-anonymous ones.
I'll look. Thanks.

And nobody said anonymous people aren't welcome here.  It's just not the focus here like it is on .onion sites.
Oh. Sorry. I misinterpreted the "This forum and the freenode #bitcoin* channels are for the other side." as "and therefore anonymous side not".
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:54:10 PM

Selling accounts without IP bans, allowed over Tor and allowed to post everywhere within the rules would be more interesting.

I don't think that is such a good idea. Shared accounts also aren't.
LuciusDeBeers

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 10:59:51 PM

I had no problem registering with Tor. I must of been on a fresh node.
nonsh (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:14:52 PM

I don't think that is such a good idea.
Why not? Aka donators account and provide several methods for payment, paysafecard, ukash, BTC of course, what else you like and people need.

Shared accounts also aren't.
Yeah, forget about shared accounts. They do no longer work as soon as too much trolls and spammers are around.

I had no problem registering with Tor. I must of been on a fresh node.
That won't work well if they use [https://www.torproject.org/projects/tordnsel.html.en TorDNSEL] (official list with all tor exit nodes) what most tor blocking sites do. You were in luck maybe because of some bug the node wasn't listed.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:58:21 AM

I don't have a problem with people selling forum accounts to Tor users as long as the price is significant enough to deter people from repeatedly evading bans (maybe 0.25 BTC). I might add this feature to the board itself at some point.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 03:04:13 AM

I don't have a problem with people selling forum accounts to Tor users as long as the price is significant enough to deter people from repeatedly evading bans (maybe 0.25 BTC). I might add this feature to the board itself at some point.

Well the consigliere has spoken, I will register people for .5 btcs and I will kickback half to the forum so tor people hit me up!
selmadomain

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 01:05:20 PM

theymos how will Tor users get in contact with you to purchase the account and can we make like a USD/EUR/CNY price that is fixed? Bitcoin prices differ big now from 2012!!
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 03:21:05 PM

theymos how will Tor users get in contact with you to purchase the account and can we make like a USD/EUR/CNY price that is fixed? Bitcoin prices differ big now from 2012!!

Nowadays, people who register using a proxy/VPN will automatically be prompted to pay a small registration fee before being allowed to post.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: