Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:37:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are no anonymous altcoins being widely utilized?  (Read 5285 times)
c789 (OP)

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 05:29:00 AM

It seems like there is a big demand for anonymity, and not just for nefarious purposes. The altcoins which offer anonymity, ranging from Anoncoin to the CryptoNote coins, have never really taken off. The ability to make anonymous transactions with any number of altcoins is available, but nobody seems to be using them on a sizable scale.

So, why do no altcoins which feature anonymity have a price over 10 USD? And why are they not more widely utilized? And please, let's not turn this into another "why X altcoin is better than Y altcoin" thread: I would just like to know why none of them have been widely utilized.

Disclosure: I have a handful of each of the CryptoNote coins and Anoncoins, but mainly use/invest in BTC.

Thanks for your opinions.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 05:37:15 AM
Last edit: March 17, 2015, 09:06:29 AM by TaunSew

First sentence runs in contradiction to the title.  Beyond trolls on Bitcointalk, who has any real use for anomymity coins beyond pedophiles and terrorists?  Ditto.  I'm sure people will come out of the wood work to naysay me but you know I am right.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
bitcreditscc

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 06:19:05 AM

First sentence runs in contradiction to the title.  Beyond trolls on Bitcointalk, who has any real use for anomymity coins beyond pedophiles and terrorists?  Ditto.  I'm sure people will come out of the wood work to naysay me but you know I am right.

Besides anonymity coins are the worst idea to have ever come to crypto currency.  This technology only has a working concept due to the blockchain concept (public ledger) and people want to get arid of that.  If there was no public ledger then I might as well be buying Starbucks Gift Cards or Amazon Points..   Cheesy

Anonymity is a fad that people can now see is dying.

jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 06:42:32 AM

Anon coins were the next wave of coins the pump and dump spinsters grabbed onto.

In this case there actually was a subset of BTT users who wanted this feature.

I too think it would be a nice thing to have, but not such an important feature to be the stand alone and stand out feature in a coin.

I put it up there with being able to have aliases or send messages with transactions. It's cool, but not a deal maker and not nearly enough to break Bitcoin.  

Also..... There has been a lot of work on Darkwallet for Bitcoin which basically gives some level of anonymity to Bitcoin. It's already in beta. And if it works, then basically every alt can just port that wallets tech into their platform.

So to sum up, anon is nice, but it's not that important or that special to really get a nice market.

monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 08:18:20 AM

Bitshares is anonymous, and is ranked no. 4 on coinmarketcap.
GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 08:26:55 AM

There are only two coins which can be called anonymous -  Darkcoin and Monero.

Darkcoin - Use of third party controlled masternodes for mixing system. Uses coinjoin like darwallet and bitcoin mixing services

Monero - Mixing system built into protocol itself. Has very high inflation. Low current price

Both these coins have been around for a year only, so the market is still very young

Decide which one you want and hold for 3 years
pc888
Legendary

Activity: 1624

https://bata.io

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 08:49:59 AM

Darkcoin - Use of third party controlled masternodes for mixing system. Uses coinjoin like darwallet and bitcoin mixing services

Monero - Mixing system built into protocol itself. Has very high inflation. Low current price

Both these coins have been around for a year only, so the market is still very young

Can you trace a Dogecoindark payment? If so let me know.

GTO911

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 08:56:59 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2015, 09:18:29 AM by GTO911

We are not playing games here. We are talking actual worldwide adoption. Your darkdarkcoindark wont hold a candle when influential powers like the government turn anti. Go get yourself educated on what type of research is going on in cryptonote technology by monero devs, cryptographers, and scientists.

This is not a playground, you cannot become untraceable by adding a 'dark' in front of your name.

Dogecoindark does mixing of coins which can be done same way with any bitcoin mixing service. When these centralized mixing nodes are attacked, Hooray, you are naked

Will snowden use dogecoindark for his privacy?
BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:03:32 AM

It seems like there is a big demand for anonymity, and not just for nefarious purposes. The altcoins which offer anonymity, ranging from Anoncoin to the CryptoNote coins, have never really taken off. The ability to make anonymous transactions with any number of altcoins is available, but nobody seems to be using them on a sizable scale.

So, why do no altcoins which feature anonymity have a price over 10 USD? And why are they not more widely utilized? And please, let's not turn this into another "why X altcoin is better than Y altcoin" thread: I would just like to know why none of them have been widely utilized.

Disclosure: I have a handful of each of the CryptoNote coins and Anoncoins, but mainly use/invest in BTC.

Thanks for your opinions.

because they are still immature and or appear to be a scam.
I'm following them myself and I'm on board when my skepticism radar doesn't ping.
I bought a few coins of one I like for now only time will tell how it matures though.

While I am a supporter of bitcoin, the love is fading fast. It's like the old ford model T's. The horseless carriage is here to stay.
Which one we drive is another story.
I want my digital currency to act like cash but more. I thought bitcoin would be it when I signed up years ago.
I now feel different about that. I don't believe I'm the only one at this point either.
And no I'm not a pedo or a terrorist but it's none of your dam business what I spend my cash on and I want my digital world to be the same.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
Monetizer

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:06:18 AM

I believe it is because no altcoin has shown enough promise for largescale use, such as litecoin was a decent coin and gained a fair amount of trust in the community for having strong dev's and a good name (rep).
pc888
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 09:31:32 AM

We are not playing games here. We are talking actual worldwide adoption. Your darkdarkcoindark wont hold a candle when influential powers like the government turn anti. Go get yourself educated on what type of research is going on in cryptonote technology by monero devs, cryptographers, and scientists.

This is not a playground, you cannot become untraceable by adding a 'dark' in front of your name.

Dogecoindark does mixing of coins which can be done same way with any bitcoin mixing service. When these centralized mixing nodes are attacked, Hooray, you are naked

Will snowden use dogecoindark for his privacy?

Obviously you are so arrogant that you have not even looked into Dogecoindark.

GTO911

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:42:02 AM

Obviously you are so arrogant that you have not even looked into Dogecoindark.

Can you explain how is it any different than what i cited above
pc888
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 09:50:49 AM

I simply asked for you to trace a payment, can you do it? Or attack a node?

What you are saying is according to what you believe to be true.

There is a whole announcement on it so why am I going to waste my time repeating here. Go look yourself.

As for why Anonymous coins are not being widely adopted yet is that it takes time, like it did for Bitcoin.

Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 10:04:34 AM

The general public has not yet understood the future necessity and implications of Bitcoin so how could they understand it for the much more important subset of anonymous currencies?

It is so short sighted to see use cases for illicit activities only that I won't even start to argue that point.

The world will slowly wake up to the total deterioration of privacy and its consequences for the freedom of the individual and society as a whole, only then people will see and understand the importance of anonymous transactions and communication.

Watch Brazil or read 1984...it used to be fiction but it will be reality should we not create the tools and means to resist.

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
GTO911

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 10:10:06 AM

There is a whole announcement on it so why am I going to waste my time repeating here

Why would anyone waste time and resources attacking crapcoins
p2pbucks

Activity: 642

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 10:23:36 AM

because blockchain matters , 99% cryptos failed to maintain a stable blockchain , people can't risk their money on it
fundomatic

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 10:59:54 AM

Do BitShares Titan transactions qualify as anonymous?

At least no one can see the amount you hold in your account name, even if they know it.
rustynailer

Activity: 725
Merit: 501

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:39:49 AM

Only 2 coins?
gnargnar
Legendary

Activity: 1111

crypto-enthusiast since 2012

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 01:06:50 PM

Only 2 coins?

there are more, like NAV and XST, to name only these 2 others...
there are even some coins that stopped working on anon feature or even removed a working anon features because the feature wasn't even used, like Neoscoin. (but the anon feature could be put back at a later time if real demand and use for it).

because blockchain matters , 99% cryptos failed to maintain a stable blockchain , people can't risk their money on it

very true.

I will take back the example of XST (Stealthcoin), wich have the healthiest network on bittrex with over 20 connections at all time and has been this way (#1) since July 2014, with no real contenders.

In terms of user adoption, a healthy coin that never falters is the way to go.  
A useful coin has no forks or tendency to fork and dependable confirmation times.
Fast confirmation times help, and those that moved around some XST knows how fast it is, but dependability is most important.

adoption follows confidence and that confidence is built on a foundation of dependability.
alt markets are still at a very early stage.
GTO911

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 01:11:30 PM

Only 2 coins?

Yes, there are dozens of anon shitcoins too. Research yourself carefully.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: