Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 03:52:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Satoshi make any comments about the initial 'imbalance' of Bitcoin wealth?  (Read 3922 times)
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:00:42 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2015, 04:18:55 PM by Bit_Happy

This thread is not intended to bash (or spread fear about) the next generation of elite humans who will (probably) attain staggering wealth with their pile of Bitcoins:
Did Satoshi make public comments about the initial distribution of Bitcoins? I am curious if he addressed the subject, and I know we have some great historians and "Satoshi experts" around here. Also, If there are any quotes, please feel free to discuss the content.

Edit: To be more specific:
I'm not asking if Satoshi gave technical mining tips.
Did he discuss the fact that some early users would become "elite" with large amounts of Bitcoins and the affects that could have later?

koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:07:04 PM

This thread is not intended to bash (or spread fear about) the next generation of elite humans who will (probably) attain staggering wealth with their pile of Bitcoins:
Did Satoshi make public comments about the initial distribution of Bitcoins? I am curious if he addressed the subject, and I know we have some great historians and "Satoshi experts" around here. Also, If there are any quotes, please feel free to discuss the content.

He did made many posts , starting with the very first post and thread(public) on this very forum
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5.0

continued with many which mostly discussed the bugs and more and more about bitcoin.
The shit is so technical , am not understanding anything.  Undecided
He told about Bitcoin difficulty
And some more technical thing over stealing coins

Would like to quote the words of Hal Finney here

Today, Satoshi's true identity has become a mystery. But at the time, I thought I was dealing with a young man of Japanese ancestry who was very smart and sincere. I've had the good fortune to know many brilliant people over the course of my life, so I recognize the signs.

Activity: 255
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:11:02 PM

Isn't the distribution made through the mining process, isn't that the purpose of mining, or one of the purposes?
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:12:52 PM

Thanks for the quick answers. I edited my OP to be more clear.

I'm not asking if Satoshi gave technical mining tips, or other related info.
Did he discuss the fact that some early users would become "elite" with large amounts of Bitcoins and the affects that could have later?

koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:21:50 PM

Dude! he was a man like you and me , not some guy like Oracle as in movies .
He didn't knew himself that this would get this bug , am sure he surely had good expectation of Bitcoin but saying such a thing that he announced it as free pass to Richieland isn't right.
Though he did said something in a Thread

Basically, bring it on.  Let's encourage Wikileaks to use Bitcoins and I'm willing to face any risk or fallout from that act.
No, don't "bring it on".

The project needs to grow gradually so the software can be strengthened along the way.

I make this appeal to WikiLeaks not to try to use Bitcoin.  Bitcoin is a small beta community in its infancy.  You would not stand to get more than pocket change, and the heat you would bring would likely destroy us at this stage.

So you see it's quite the opposite of what you think
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:24:36 PM

maybe he never thought that BTC would reach hundreds of dollars each one day in such short time period?

I don't remember any comment directly about it
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:29:56 PM

He had a lot to say about the imbalance of wealth. He said it with the bitcoin protocol. There is no imbalance of wealth in BTC. The poorest or wealthiest people in the world are free to jump in. Being rich gives you no advantage the way it does with fiat.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 05:22:25 PM

...The poorest or wealthiest people in the world are free to jump in....

Yes, one of the best thing about Bitcoin is that you can start faster and easier than getting a new bank account.  Smiley

... Being rich gives you no advantage the way it does with fiat.

Agreed that it is different than fiat, but being rich certainly has some huge advantages, like (for example) funding your own projects and hiring the best people, etc.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3239

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 05:26:40 PM

Edit: To be more specific:
I'm not asking if Satoshi gave technical mining tips.

Given that bitcoins were worthless when he started and worth about $0.20 when he left, and that the future of Bitcoin was (and still is) anything but certain, I don't see how anyone at that time could anticipate becoming super wealthy just by holding bitcoins.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
abyrnes81

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 05:31:22 PM

I think he didn't know that all these things would be happened and at the end the poor rest poor and the rich become more rich. Only a few person are really interested in bitcoin the other only want to convert them in dollars and after buy again , again and make again this thing.
pozmu

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

(っ◔◡◔)っ🍪

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:04:47 PM

I remember reading one of his messages saying that it's good idea to mine a lot at early stages because bitcoins may become pretty valuable in future, if I'm correct it was on crypto mailing list. I think this message + block reward schedule shows that he intended to make early adopters rich, but maybe not that rich -> without first bubble bursting btc distribution would be much more equal.

12345mm

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:40:25 PM

if satoshi gave a shit about any sort of fair distribution of bitcoin he wouldn't have singlehandedly mined 1,000,000 of the existing 14,000,000 / 21,000,000 eventual supply ... or setup the payout schedule to be so utterly rapid in the early stages where millions upon millions of coins were able to be mined by a couple dozen to a few hundred individuals before public awareness would have reasonably been possible or expected to occur ... he would have set the payout schedule at a lower rate and increased it over time (reverse equation payout schedule of how it is setup) , as opposed to having it payout huge in the beginning and decreasing over time ... which , obviously , would have been more fair for everyone ... since it would allow for greater supply to be produced as more people became aware of it , rather than less and less supply available vs. the early days ... essentially bitcoin payout was designed to be as unfair as possible in terms of imbalance ...

Coinbase Is THE Place to Buy Your Bitcoins! https://coinbase.com/?r=528a0de17f383142df00040c&utm_campaign=user-referral&src=referral-link Sign Up For Cryptsy! Trade Alts! https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=15696
BTC:   1Mrr2cPbZc4nmV236AS31vdCP24J9TbJpo   LTC:   LV5UoExrVxU3ddrCKCMZ2Wx5odbkUf7JhT
I Like Free Magic Internet Money! Smiley My Cryptsy Trade Key: ad89bb4885a1f92eb7efd5db30412676673ded0e
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:44:55 PM

maybe he never thought that BTC would reach hundreds of dollars each one day in such short time period?

I don't remember any comment directly about it
Im also interested on this. Did Satoshi ever mention price predictions? I guess he never imagined 1 BTC reaching 1K 4 years later, like not even considered it.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:49:54 PM

if satoshi gave a shit about any sort of fair distribution of bitcoin he wouldn't have singlehandedly mined 1,000,000 of the existing 14,000,000 / 21,000,000 eventual supply ... or setup the payout schedule to be so utterly rapid in the early stages where millions upon millions of coins were able to be mined by a couple dozen to a few hundred individuals before public awareness would have reasonably been possible or expected to occur ... he would have set the payout schedule at a lower rate and increased it over time (reverse equation payout schedule of how it is setup) , as opposed to having it payout huge in the beginning and decreasing over time ... which , obviously , would have been more fair for everyone ... since it would allow for greater supply to be produced as more people became aware of it , rather than less and less supply available vs. the early days ... essentially bitcoin payout was designed to be as unfair as possible in terms of imbalance ...

As far as i know, those bitcoins that belong to satoshi are unused, so maybe he kept them just in case something like world adoption happens, as a fail safe to what op is talking about, to stop elite from manipulating the very system created to give you freedom and protect you.
He had many chances for cashout, he obviously doesnt care about fiat money, and why would he?

cheers
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 11:51:19 PM

You have to remember that initially, all those bitcoins satoshi mined had NO value in fiat terms! And for quite some time after that, 1 BTC was valued in cents, not dollars.

And anyway, why would Satoshi be concerned about crypto wealth disparity when fiat wealth distribution is already this bad:

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
duckydonald

Activity: 378

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 12:04:30 AM

im sure theymos s some what connected, probably gives satoshi from advertising funds
12345mm

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 12:15:15 AM

if he wanted to actually create an egalitarian currency of the people and wanted it to be as widely distributed and as fairly distributed as possible ... it would have been possible to ... for example ... just using a simplified number ... make the initial blocks worth 1 btc per 10 minute block and have that double , rather than halve , every 2 years until reaching a certain cutoff point to accomplish the same number of total coins and assuring a much fairer distribution in the process ... with this example this would have allowed for 6 coins per hour , 144 coins per day , and 52,560 coins per year produced for a total of 105,120 in the first 2 years , 210,240 produced in the next 2 years , 420,480 produced in the next 2 years , etc etc ... that would have allowed for today there be less than 1 million coins in existence with the remaining 20 million still yet to be mined and at a predictable rate and with the same total number of coins (more or less , depending on the cutoff point chosen and programmed into the software) ... it would also allowed for all of the coins to be created a helluva lot sooner than 2140 or whatever it's supposed to be for all of them to come into existence as in within our lifetimes ... how it was setup was instead 300 coins per hour , 7200 coins per day , 2,628,000 coins per year at the start ... which seems like a fair distribution method allowing for public awareness and evenly distributed coins ? ... 52,560 produced at the start per year or 2,628,000 produced at the start per year ? ... he knew exactly what he was doing in terms of assuring imbalance ... and since it was supposedly an experiment and they were valued so low / at zero value , what would have been the harm doing it that fairer way ? ... initial value argument is irrelevant flawed logic in terms of distribution imbalance ...

Coinbase Is THE Place to Buy Your Bitcoins! https://coinbase.com/?r=528a0de17f383142df00040c&utm_campaign=user-referral&src=referral-link Sign Up For Cryptsy! Trade Alts! https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=15696
BTC:   1Mrr2cPbZc4nmV236AS31vdCP24J9TbJpo   LTC:   LV5UoExrVxU3ddrCKCMZ2Wx5odbkUf7JhT
I Like Free Magic Internet Money! Smiley My Cryptsy Trade Key: ad89bb4885a1f92eb7efd5db30412676673ded0e
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 12:19:18 AM

You have to remember that initially, all those bitcoins satoshi mined had NO value in fiat terms! And for quite some time after that, 1 BTC was valued in cents, not dollars.

And anyway, why would Satoshi be concerned about crypto wealth disparity when fiat wealth distribution is already this bad:

This. People was free to buy bitcoins if they wanted to. The price it's a result of free market, people has decided the price is what it is. No one here is getting scammed fundamentally, the blockchain is fair, fiat systems ARENT.
Eastfist

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 01:19:50 AM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. So much entitlement.
12345mm

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:58:42 AM

do you even know what the word entitlement means retard ? stating it's an unbalanced distribution having a "currency" produce 1/4 of the supply and held by what amounts to a handful of individuals prior to any possibility of general public awareness of said currency is not entitlement ... it's called having even a remote sense of fairness and understanding of math ... but whatever ... this world has 1% of the population (70 million people / 7 billion people) with 1/2 of the wealth , so why would it be an unfair distribution for 1000 people to have 1/4 of all the bitcoins ever produced ? ... that's only 35000X worse wealth distribution than our already "unfair" fiat system in terms of wealth disparity ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: