Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:45:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrison Ford injured in plane crash  (Read 1595 times)
abyrnes81 (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:32:19 PM

The article:

He 72-year-old star of the Indiana Jones and Star Wars films reported engine failure and crash-landed his vintage plane on a Venice golf course. He was breathing and alert when medics arrived and took him to hospital in a "fair to moderate" condition, a fire department spokesman said. His son Ben, a chef in Los Angeles, later tweeted from the hospital: "Dad is OK. Battered but OK!

Shortly after take-off from Santa Monica Airport, he said he was having engine failure with his 1942 Ryan Aeronautical ST3KR and was making an "immediate return".

More at http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31759873

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:43:23 PM

Altenate title: RICH SEMI RETIRED ACTOR ALMOST KILLED BY AIRPLANE TOY CRASHED ON EXCLUSIVE GOLF COURSE

Smiley

(oYo)

Activity: 476

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 09:02:17 PM

Glad he's alright.

Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 11:03:15 PM

Altenate title: RICH SEMI RETIRED ACTOR ALMOST KILLED BY AIRPLANE TOY CRASHED ON EXCLUSIVE GOLF COURSE

Smiley

Haha, one correction, I don't think the golf course was exclusive. I've seen pictures, it's right next to the Santa Monica airport, it's surrounded by a very dense neighborhood. It's just a municipal golf course...the exclusive clubs usually aren't located at the foot of an airport runway!

Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:40:15 AM

Smiley

Haha, one correction, I don't think the golf course was exclusive. I've seen pictures, it's right next to the Santa Monica airport, it's surrounded by a very dense neighborhood. It's just a municipal golf course...the exclusive clubs usually aren't located at the foot of an airport runway!

No way Han solo would have chosen to crash his Mini Millennium Falcon on a municipal golf course! Less than 12 parsecs away from the Santa Monica airport? No way!!!!!

Snipe85

Activity: 756

Infleum

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:57:27 AM

Got to admit I envy him. He's 72 and still sharp enough to fly a plane. Funny that he chose to fly a machine that is probably older than him.
I never fly things made after I was born, just a rule I live by - H. F. Cheesy

Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 06:03:57 AM

Got to admit I envy him. He's 72 and still sharp enough to fly a plane. Funny that he chose to fly a machine that is probably older than him.

Dude, 72 isn't deathbed time. Being sharp is a function of staying active. The fact that he flies keeps him sharp, not the other way around.

BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 06:10:18 AM

I find it pretty sad this was on cnn breaking news.
Another fine example of american media covering fluff and avoiding the real news.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
cheekychap

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 07:29:08 AM

Well, there is nothing that would stop him from flying planes even if he is at 72 years of age

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 07:51:00 AM

Well, there is nothing that would stop him from flying planes even if he is at 72 years of age

Exactly, i know many people in 70s who are more active then i am! Flying a plane is probably like taking a walk as regard mobility.
(oYo)

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 08:37:44 AM

Actually, medical examinations are taken at various frequencies, depending upon the age and the license qualification of the person, designed to ensure that they have no problems that would interfere with their ability to fly safely.

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 10:28:39 AM

I am glad he is alright. I am not ready to hear about another movie actor, after hearing about spock this month.

Spock is cool but dont get overly concerned about the death of 1 dude you dont know personally over another Smiley
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 10:56:07 AM

Sadly, he's reached an age where it's all down hill for him! He's been acquiring injury after injury! Bono better be careful too, once you reach 50, it's all down hill!
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 04:50:09 PM

The article:

He 72-year-old star of the Indiana Jones and Star Wars films reported engine failure and crash-landed his vintage plane on a Venice golf course. He was breathing and alert when medics arrived and took him to hospital in a "fair to moderate" condition, a fire department spokesman said. His son Ben, a chef in Los Angeles, later tweeted from the hospital: "Dad is OK. Battered but OK!

Shortly after take-off from Santa Monica Airport, he said he was having engine failure with his 1942 Ryan Aeronautical ST3KR and was making an "immediate return".

A lot of experienced and professional pilots have been killed trying to execute the 180 degree return to airport after takeoff.  Reason is that potential and kinetic energy reserves in the aircraft are not adequate, also split second timing is required to establish best glide speed.  Exception would be high thrust to weight turbo prop aircraft which this certainly was not.

Note he didn't succeed with the 180, looks more like 150 degrees turn.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 05:00:02 PM

That's a lucky thing. On an exclusive one non-members may not be allowed to crash Smiley.
kenbytes

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:29:21 PM

It's a vintage plane. These things happen. He was a good enough pilot to land the thing in what was probably a very short window before disaster.

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:42:12 PM

It's a vintage plane. These things happen. He was a good enough pilot to land the thing in what was probably a very short window before disaster.

But why was he piloting a vintage plane? I doubt he cant make better with the money hes got. Maybe he overestimated his abilities, doubt he would do something like that just because he wants publicity.

"an absolutely beautifully executed emergency landing by an unbelievably well-trained pilot".
It seams that he picked up a thing or two from all the movies he made, nice.

"After crash-landing, Ford was initially treated by doctors who happened to be at the golf course."
Perks of being a movie star, you cant even crash land without help 100 feet away Smiley

cheers
(oYo)

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 09:00:34 PM

But why was he piloting a vintage plane? I doubt he cant make better with the money hes got. Maybe he overestimated his abilities, doubt he would do something like that just because he wants publicity.

"an absolutely beautifully executed emergency landing by an unbelievably well-trained pilot".
It seams that he picked up a thing or two from all the movies he made, nice.

"After crash-landing, Ford was initially treated by doctors who happened to be at the golf course."
Perks of being a movie star, you cant even crash land without help 100 feet away Smiley

cheers

LOL! Doctors just HAPPENED to be there. THAT'S A GOOD ONE. I'll bet a great majority of golf course members are doctors.

abyrnes81 (OP)

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:19:56 PM

The article:

A lot of experienced and professional pilots have been killed trying to execute the 180 degree return to airport after takeoff.  Reason is that potential and kinetic energy reserves in the aircraft are not adequate, also split second timing is required to establish best glide speed.  Exception would be high thrust to weight turbo prop aircraft which this certainly was not.

Note he didn't succeed with the 180, looks more like 150 degrees turn.

I know that that "the 180 degree return" is so risky, If someone wants to do it then he should first be an expert.
waterpile

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:23:22 PM

Daym, Glad it didn't killed him. He is one of my favorite actors Sad
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: