Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:27:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin port of Bitaddress.org?  (Read 3092 times)
str4wm4n (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:17:20 PM

Would this be easy for someone to do? I really want it! Grin
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 09:18:39 PM

I imagine so...

I would guess just changing one number would be enough to do it - the prefix that is different for litecoin.

(besides the obvious changes to artwork/text)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:18:58 PM

Sure thing: http://address.litecoin.net/
Thanks goes to Greedi for putting it together.

str4wm4n (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:19:48 PM

SWEET! Just what I was looking for!  Grin
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 09:28:37 PM

How established is the idea that Litecoin private keys start with "6"?  Does Litecoin accept Bitcoin private keys?

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
pooler

Activity: 838
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:56:38 PM

How established is the idea that Litecoin private keys start with "6"?  Does Litecoin accept Bitcoin private keys?

Pretty well established. Pywallet (jackjack's fork, which also works with Litecoin) and Vanitygen both conform to this.
The latest version of Litecoin does not accept Bitcoin private keys; it only accepts keys starting with "6u" or "6v".

BTC: 15MRTcUweNVJbhTyH5rq9aeSdyigFrskqE · LTC: LTCPooLqTK1SANSNeTR63GbGwabTKEkuS7
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 10:16:45 PM

How established is the idea that Litecoin private keys start with "6"?  Does Litecoin accept Bitcoin private keys?

Pretty well established. Pywallet (jackjack's fork, which also works with Litecoin) and Vanitygen both conform to this.
The latest version of Litecoin does not accept Bitcoin private keys; it only accepts keys starting with "6u" or "6v".

And 6w, I presume, since a very tiny part of the key space falls there.

I was thinking of using 6 as a prefix to denote "key that needs something else", such as a password or another key.

Have a peek at this.  https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:Casascius/Base58Check-encoded_objects_proposal

None of my proposed key types conflict with the 6u-6w range used by Litecoin, but I have indeed proposed a conflict with respect to what I have proposed as a potential meaning of the number "6" as a prefix.  Now that I am aware of this, I wanted to take a temperature.

If these features got accepted (assume I "moved" my idea to 7, for example), Litecoin would need to define yet another prefix that means "key that needs something else", as well as "Litecoin", all at the same time.  That might be potentially more confusing than just saying that "private keys look like this, private keys with requirements look like that, and Litecoin ones all start with L".

For example, what if Litecoin private keys started with L5 and Litecoin private keys "that need something else" start with L6?  These are not valid prefixes for Litecoin payment addresses (which I understand can only start with L + [KLMNPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghi]).  But if implemented this way, all of the different kinds of secure private keys invented for Bitcoin could easily be understood in the context of Litecoin.

Clients wouldn't have to stop accepting 6u-6w, they'd remain fully compatible.  They would just display and export L5 for future keys.

The prefix L5 could be reliably achieved by using two version bytes before the 32-byte key payload: 0x8100, and L6 with 0x8120.  Each key would be 52 characters.

coblee
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 10:01:48 AM

I just cloned the latest from github and put this together: http://liteaddress.org/

chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 10:30:21 AM

Thanks! Now all I need is a way to push signed transactions from some online server!
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2013, 01:48:04 PM

And a Litecoin banknote image!

str4wm4n (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 08:54:04 PM

casascius, I want some silver litecoins please  Grin
coblee
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 09:41:16 PM

http://forum.litecoin.net//index.php/topic,1170.0.html

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
February 11, 2013, 10:28:39 PM

I just cloned the latest from github and put this together: http://liteaddress.org/

Nice to hear from you again!

more or less retired.
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 09:37:32 PM

Check  Grin

Bitrated user: Mick.
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 11:25:52 PM

Is there any way the client itself could include a "print to paper" option ?

payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:12:15 AM

awesome!

i found a bug in it today though, and then i realised the same bug is also in bitaddress.org...

on the first tab, in chrome 24.x, i clicked Generate New Address many times and a little too fast and eventually the QR codes stopped working and just showing solid black squares

after that, no amount of clicking Generate New Address would bring back the QR codes... it just stayed solid black

i had to refresh the page to get those QRs working again

could someone please try to replicate this?

edit: this time i tried just clicking very slowly and counting... the QR codes still turned solid black after 18 clicks of the Generate button.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:17:41 AM

awesome!

i found a bug in it today though, and then i realised the same bug is also in bitaddress.org...

on the first tab, in chrome 24.x, i clicked Generate New Address many times and a little too fast and eventually the QR codes stopped working and just showing solid black squares

after that, no amount of clicking Generate New Address would bring back the QR codes... it just stayed solid black

edit: this time i tried just clicking very slowly and counting... the QR codes still turned solid black after 18 clicks of the Generate button.

What browser are you using? I'm using Chrome and I cannot replicate this problem.

coblee
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:19:56 AM

Is there any way the client itself could include a "print to paper" option ?

Possibly. But how useful would that really be? Maybe we just need to add a export private key option.
I would not make sense to use those keys as a normal paper wallet (where you typically send money to it once or more times and only redeem it once) since a lot of those address are throw away addresses and change addresses.

payb.tc

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:24:21 AM

awesome!

What browser are you using? I'm using Chrome and I cannot replicate this problem.

Version 24.0.1312.57 m / incognito mode

the bug doesn't appear for me in firefox, safari, or ie

edit: it also works fine for me in regular Chrome... can you try in an incognito window?
payb.tc

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:34:55 AM

update 2: i restarted my browser and now it goes solid black at click 21 and 22 (first one QR, then the other)

i also tried on a completely different computer, same version of chrome incognito and couldn't replicate the issue

the computer where it's occurring is extremely slow Windows XP machine... the machine where it works is an i7 with Win 7.

i'll report back if i ever see it replicated on any other machine.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: