Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:25:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-otc feedback.  (Read 1222 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 09:30:38 PM

As pr. http://wiki.bitcoin-otc.com/wiki/OTC_Rating_System

Code:
10 	You trust this person as you trust yourself. Reserve this for close friends and associates you know in person.
8 Large number of high-value transactions, long period of association, very trustworthy.
5 You've had a number of good transactions with this person.
1 One or two good transactions with this person
-1 Person strikes you as a bit flaky. Unreasonable/unexpected delays in payment, etc.
-10 Person failed to hold up his end of the bargain, took payment and ran, fraudster.

When you have a certain number of ratings, you would mostly like to keep it all as positive as possible when you're a trader.

I see a problem with the rating system however, as when you rate somebody negatively, you may be rated back negatively as well. For instance,
if you're a reputable and honest trader, and then you have less than a pleaseant experience with a counterparty, and you want to give negative feedback
on that person, I've seen the case is often that the one receiving the negative rate becomes grumpy and rates you negatively back.

This gives the incentive of honest and reputable traders not to leave any negative feedback, because then their own WOT-rating may receive a negative rating.

Esp. for traders that doesn't yet have a high volume of trades, this could be a problem. For instance if a trader has 4 positive feedbacks, and then receives one negative
feedback, this may deterr others from making trade with that person.

As usual, everything is fine and dandy as long as everyone smiles (ie. rates positively), but once the negative ratings come in, there can be conflict.

In principle I think it should be possible for traders to make notes to the community about possible scammers or possible flakey traders, however, all this is a trust issue,
and speaking negatively about others, or rating others negatively may backfire, so I think many doesn't rate -1 if they deal with a sketchy trader to protect their own reputation.

Then less experienced traders meet that sketchy trader and get burned.

How would you suggest solving this ?

Hm.. I was thinking, would it be possible for traders that have reached a certain trust level to give 'anonymous' ratings to a scammer or wouldbe-scammer so the scammer could not rate neagtively back ? Then the orginator of the negative rate wold be hidden to the one receiving it, but the admins could check who gave it, and reverse it if it seems sketchy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kakobrekla

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:03:26 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2012, 11:25:38 PM by kakobrekla

Esp. for traders that doesn't yet have a high volume of trades, this could be a problem. For instance if a trader has 4 positive feedbacks, and then receives one negative
feedback, this may deterr others from making trade with that person.

May or may just cause to take extra precaution next few trades. The origin of rating should always be considered.

Then less experienced traders meet that sketchy trader and get burned.

Shit happens. Not that often imho.

Hm.. I was thinking, would it be possible for traders that have reached a certain trust level to give 'anonymous' ratings to a scammer or wouldbe-scammer so the scammer could not rate neagtively back ? Then the orginator of the negative rate wold be hidden to the one receiving it, but the admins could check who gave it, and reverse it if it seems sketchy.

Besides OTC ratings turning into 4chan, system like this is not meant to be moderated or it looses its value. No, not even otc god nanotube can't touch it.

danieldaniel

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:29:52 PM

Seems like a good idea.  But, as kakobrekla mentioned, it would be better unmoderated.  Think of the current rating system, ratings are rarely -- if ever -- removed (AFAIK).  So I think it would be better unmoderated.

Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:02:06 AM

Seems like a good idea.  But, as kakobrekla mentioned, it would be better unmoderated.  Think of the current rating system, ratings are rarely -- if ever -- removed (AFAIK).  So I think it would be better unmoderated.

What's a good idea? The possibility of giving negative feedback anonymously ?

kakobrekla saying that the source of negative ratings is important to check, and I agree with that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: