Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:21:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it true that strong "social connections" are required for happiness?  (Read 2422 times)
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:52:23 AM

I just saw a PBS show about emotional health that claims "social connections" are required for happiness. Do you believe this is true? ...or
Perhaps it is propaganda to undermine the happiness of independent people who don't always require the "emotional support" of others?

What do you think?
Is it true that strong "social connections" are required for happiness?

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Monetizer

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:55:18 AM

I believe for many people it is required. Not everyone can be happy and content without any strong social connections.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 02:21:35 AM

I just saw a PBS show about emotional health that claims "social connections" are required for happiness. Do you believe this is true?
Yes, though it's not a matter of belief, this is science. Human beings are primates, we are social creatures. We need strong social bonds for our health and happiness.

Related:

TED - Brene Brown: the power of vulnerability

TED - Christopher Ryan: Are we designed to be sexual omnivores?

http://bowlingalone.com/

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Rishblitz

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

I'm nothing without GOD

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 03:00:53 AM

I am currently taking health class and from my government required course the answer is yes.

Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 05:27:35 AM

I think it depends on the person. There are loners that are quite happy on their own.

Strong social connections can create happiness in life, however they're not required for happiness.

That's my un-scientific point of view!

(oYo)

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 05:46:25 AM

An introvert, would not necessarily need to make "social connections" to be happy. Also, obviously if you are a sociopath, then "social connections" are NOT required for happiness, other than making a "connection" with intent to do harm that is. Roll Eyes

cheekychap

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 07:27:52 AM

Nope, not at all. I highly doubt it. Its actually worse at times, when you start comparing people in the social group you have

Activity: 255

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 12:01:05 PM

Well, we are social animals, our interactions with others are very important. specially long relationships, of course some people are different but generally that seems accurate.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 12:11:46 PM

It purely depends on the person as far as I'm concerned. yes, there are those who obsessively seek out social connections, but there are also of course more introverted personalities that like to keep away from that bullshit and will only have a few friends they get along really well with. Since it's PBS don't put it past them to just be touting propaganda, that said, there's nothing in independence that says you can't have friends or a love life, that's bullshit, but equally that doesn't mean you need to rely on such things to begin with, that's what independence is in the first place.

I would agree though with the idea that our governments would see independent and creative thought as a problem because that is precisely what undermines them.
BitMos

Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 12:19:11 PM

At the end of the Dunyha it will be useless, all those will be corrupt, alone with God and his Angels. who cares of the rest... bahhh bahhh...

money is faster...
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:32:44 PM

I just saw a PBS show about emotional health that claims "social connections" are required for happiness. Do you believe this is true? ...or
Perhaps it is propaganda to undermine the happiness of independent people who don't always require the "emotional support" of others?

What do you think?

Human beings are social creatures, and they require communication and social ties with other humans to keep their mental health in order. If you take a social animal (say a horse) and deprive it of interaction with other animals (not necessarily of the same species, e.g. dogs do fine with horses) or humans, it will first become furious then lethargic and may even die in the end.
BitMos

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:37:11 PM

What do you think?

Human beings are social creatures, and they require communication and social ties with other humans to keep their mental health in order. If you take a social animal (say a horse) and deprive it of interaction with other animals or humans (not necessarily of the same species), it will first become furious then lethargic and may even die in the end.

and if all the others "so called bipeds" are animals, what an human being has in common with them? at least real clean animals know naturally how to behave... I forget their mothers weren't indoctrinated...

money is faster...
Bytty

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:37:32 PM

I guess that's why solitary confinement is torture...
BitMos

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:38:09 PM

stop breathing. the will to die.

Mother Bear don't raise slave :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knut_%28polar_bear%29#Death

death is tastier than surrender my son, she said, don't breath, it will be better, much love, trust me. He did.

money is faster...
tee-rex

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:40:00 PM

Won't work. At first you lose consciousness, then you breath again. You don't stop breathing when you sleep, right?
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 02:05:57 PM

Yes, it's also one of the reasons the modern world makes us so miserable.  The loss of once ubiquitous platonic affection (non-sexual contact), which all primates are hard-wired for, causes a great deal of suffering for modern people. It's worse for men, because of the fragility of western masculinity.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
BitMos

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 03:49:30 PM

Won't work. At first you lose consciousness, then you breath again. You don't stop breathing when you sleep, right?

sure? and maybe at the first trial... when you are in solitary confinement, you have the time to train until reaching perfection...

Yes, it's also one of the reasons the modern world makes us so miserable.  The loss of once ubiquitous platonic affection (non-sexual contact), which all primates are hard-wired for, causes a great deal of suffering for modern people. It's worse for men, because of the fragility of western masculinity.

by design, we all know that the girls across all generations all space have never confronted their masters, the way men do. so strategically the enemy of mankind would have targeted men first... women are the best slaves... and when they have children, they are soft as butter... (only a few can stand, like the One and the boiling water) exceptions...

money is faster...
bronan

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:43:11 PM

ofcourse not, you only need a few hundred million bucks thats all.
Social stuff is not needed at all, too many around to try steal your money.
tee-rex

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:47:06 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2015, 06:06:58 PM by tee-rex

sure? and maybe at the first trial... when you are in solitary confinement, you have the time to train until reaching perfection...

Absolutely. No matter how hard you try, you can't change with just the power of thought what is made to function without any at all. The stories of men completely shutting down their heart by their will only are fables of the same kind.

Though you can always starve yourself to death instead.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:54:37 PM

not really , you can be happy even alone, if you have a truly passion, that fills your time(not talking about a job, but anything, you really like and makes you happy)

interpersonal relationships are overrated
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: