Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:58:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Purchase and hold some alt coins with play money  (Read 2172 times)
m3110w (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 09:26:42 AM

Hi All,

I'm new to the crypto currency (cc) world. I have a little bit of play money to buy and hold some various cc's. ("Play money" means a small amount relative to my total assets so I don't care if I lose all the play money.)

I've been listening to some cc podcasts and reading some cc articles. My simple minded plan is to buy and hold some bitcoin, darkcoin and litecoin. I have some bitcoin and I'm in the process of getting some darkcoin.

What other cc's would you suggest I purchase? Litecoin? Others? Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you can offer a sentence or two to support your suggestion, that would be great. That way I'll learn what to look for re cc investing.

What are the best sites to learn about cc investing? The cc podcasts I'm listening to are giving me a general idea of the cc universe.

I do not plan to do any day trading or anything like that. I just want to buy and hold long term and see what happens. If any holdings go 10x I may sell.

Thanks for helping a cc newbie, Cheers,

Advait
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 09:50:58 AM

There will be a surge of people telling you which new alt is the best and it will rise 10 times or more next  month. What they will not tell you is they are in it for the pump and dump. The only crypto worth holding is only bitcoin.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
12345mm

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 09:53:13 AM

having personally a good deal of experience in the "alt" trading world , my best advice is that most of the "alts" (anything that's not btc) live fast and die hard in terms of price.

most are created with the express intent of pumping and dumping these coins on willing participant exchanges - you can sign up for one such market (cryptsy) in my signature - there you can find literally hundreds of "alts" to convert your btc into.

other "trusted" options for alt exchanges include poloniex and bittrex.

if you plan on buying and holding , do not hold the coins on any of these exchanges that allow you to trade alts - they could disappear tomorrow.

also - if you're looking at obscure coins , try to at least find ones which are traded on more than 1 of these exchanges - coins on these exchanges are delisted and the exchanges themselves have been known to shutdown so it's a good thing if you can re-sell your alt-coins on more than 1 exchange.

litecoin and darkcoin are considered relatively decent frontrunners of the alt-coin world.

other relative oldies include namecoin and peercoin.

some of the alts cost only hundreds of satoshis (the smallest denomination of btc 0.00000001) - some can actually be obtained in the single digit satoshi land - these are almost universally considered junk , but as with all of the alt-coins , the possibility of using btc to pump the price up and then sell for profit exists.

if you're not doing the pumping of the price , or getting in on a coin the day it's listed , it will be near impossible to make anything on your purchases.

it is fun owning 1,000,000 of something when it costs you 50cents , even if it is total crap.

also each and every one of the alts has their own announcement thread if you look for it , and you may be able to gather some information regarding the current level of ongoing development / commitment to said alt , which is a good way to attempt to sort the shit from the crap.

goodluck Smiley

Coinbase Is THE Place to Buy Your Bitcoins! https://coinbase.com/?r=528a0de17f383142df00040c&utm_campaign=user-referral&src=referral-link Sign Up For Cryptsy! Trade Alts! https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=15696
BTC:   1Mrr2cPbZc4nmV236AS31vdCP24J9TbJpo   LTC:   LV5UoExrVxU3ddrCKCMZ2Wx5odbkUf7JhT
I Like Free Magic Internet Money! Smiley My Cryptsy Trade Key: ad89bb4885a1f92eb7efd5db30412676673ded0e
innocent93
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 09:55:29 AM

The only crypto worth holding is only bitcoin.

Correct. My advice will also to be holding Bitcoin only, especially the Litecoin have been controlled by Chinese, this coin is old and backward anyway.
BitmoreCoin

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 10:34:34 AM

Only buy a coin with strong development team and has been out for some time to establish a good track record. Most altcoin will disappear a few month after launch.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:10:13 PM

better to hold just bitcoin right now, the situation is looking already bad for the cryptoscene, owning many coins could only lead in a loss even without day trading

waterpile

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:45:16 PM

My suggestion: do your own research on the altcoin coz asking for advice in the internet is a terrible idea, you don't know if they're saying is for their advantage or yours..
D05GTO

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 03:39:33 PM

The unfortunate reality is 90% of the Alts are created for only 1 purpose.  To separate the gullible from their BTC.  It's very sad to say though.  Just remember very few actually have a dev team that is trying to make something better.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
mikelitoris

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:10:01 PM

you can make good money on some, i just checked back to bittrex and saw a coin which i thought was dead had jumped up to 0.006, i unfortunately dumped my bag a few months ago, but it could have made me around 14BTC from 0.1BTC investment.  Cry

6561742061206469636b
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:10:22 PM

Think about what practical uses other coins have. In theory, darkcoin and monero are more private. In practice, bitcoin is exactly as private as you want it to be. There is no point other than speculating on other peoples ignorance (which, granted, can be a worthwhile bet at times).

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:42:11 PM

Correct. My advice will also to be holding Bitcoin only, especially the Litecoin have been controlled by Chinese, this coin is old and backward anyway.
There are few altcoins having a look as well, although I agree that 99% of altcoins are just very speculative short-term projects.
I would recommend checking the altcoin section - especially the topics with at least 500 pages.

this space is intentionally left blank
ScryptAsic

Activity: 647
Merit: 501

GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 04:42:50 PM

I think until Bitcoin really takes off that alts are too early to the game. Why would anyone care about them when Bitcoin is not yet mainstream? Litecoin is boring, but solid trade wise, and the rest are quite useless to date. The new features some have really provide nothing if no one uses the currency.
ScryptAsic

Activity: 647
Merit: 501

GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 04:44:27 PM

There are few altcoins having a look as well, although I agree that 99% of altcoins are just very speculative short-term projects.
I would recommend checking the altcoin section - especially the topics with at least 500 pages.

Good luck with checking that section it is a disaster over there.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:59:46 PM

Play money is play money, do whatever makes you happy, but if ure looking into making some profits out of your play, then dont think of altcoins as something long term.
Altcoins are only used to move traders value from bitcoins to altcoins in times when bitcoin price is going down, as soon as bitcoin price recovers or rallys, the last pump and first dump on altcoins market will happen, since people will want to return to bitcoin. That maked altcoins crash, and as soon as bitcoin drops or corrects, its a safe rebuy on altcoin section. Try to use this to your benefit.

cheers
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 08:16:47 PM

Good luck with checking that section it is a disaster over there.
Why?
I don't think it is that bad, and some threads are really much more constructive than some discussions in the Bitcoin section.
Once again, read my post, I am talking about well established coins (topics) not one week hypes.

this space is intentionally left blank
hyphymikey

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 08:32:38 PM

I'm surprised Namecoin has not been mentioned yet. It is the only alt coin with a purpose.
GreatWinter

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 08:36:11 PM

Probably just BTC and DRK. Keep in mind, I don't have any DRK, but I have been watching the price charts and it seems solid. Anything else is pretty risky, but if you can vet the developer and you find a good one early, you could put some money in and maybe make a good return.
waterpile

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 09:51:11 PM

I'm surprised Namecoin has not been mentioned yet. It is the only alt coin with a purpose.

I think there are many alt coin that has a purpose.
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 10:16:52 PM

think about the tech when you decide to invest in alts.

of course first master bitcoin  is a must
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 11:01:43 PM

i think it's better to just focus on bitcoin instead of altcoins.
there are so many altcoins that have lost 99% of their value.
if you still decide to invest in altcoins make sure you avoid the bad coins.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: