Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:33:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Effect of Ulbricht's 50,000 Btc Auction  (Read 2435 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:29:36 PM

there will be no effect, since they can't dump something purchased for 30% more, unless they are stupid, also i don't think they want to crush the price, therefore in the case of a dump, it will be done outside of the market
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:36:51 PM

Yet another topic about the auction. What for, really? There is nothing more to be said, beyond what has been already stated in the previous threads on that.
There will be no dumping of these coins, as they were acquired cheaply and they will be hold till the price rises more. Much more.

this space is intentionally left blank
Aboveyourass

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:44:39 PM

there will be no effect, since they can't dump something purchased for 30% more, unless they are stupid, also i don't think they want to crush the price, therefore in the case of a dump, it will be done outside of the market

You are spreading FUD,bag holder

The rumor was started by a tweet from a twitter account called cryptokees. It's based on nothing but his claim that an "anonymous source" told him before the winners had even been notified. His corresponding bitcointalk account was tweeting for free giveaways of low value plankton shit coins last summer so he can't be rich.

He mentions a coindesk article in his tweet, but there is nothing about 30% above market price in it. I think he just added the coindesk article link to con people into believing it backs his rumor up, which it does not.

That it was sold 30% (!!!) above market price?  Could someone find any news links or any person from say CoinDesk confirm this?

Rumor only for now:

https://twitter.com/CryptoKees/status/573577241235423232

No confirmation from any news source yet.

Why would anyone trust this?

http://s11.postimg.org/hsub9v603/rumor.png

The Sparood bitcointalk account links to the twitter account that the rumor came from (https://twitter.com/cryptokees)

http://s10.postimg.org/76hlcp9d5/rimor2.png
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=673734.msg7889951#msg7889951

He's not even a senior member.

The link in his tweet unshortens to http://www.coindesk.com/third-usms-bitcoin-auction-bidder-interest/ which makes no mention of 30% above market price.

Everything is based on the word of a full member account who was promoting a shitcoin like plankton.
koelen3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 05:21:30 PM

The rumor was started by a tweet from a twitter account called cryptokees. It's based on nothing but his claim that an "anonymous source" told him before the winners had even been notified. His corresponding bitcointalk account was tweeting for free giveaways of low value plankton shit coins last summer so he can't be rich.

He mentions a coindesk article in his tweet, but there is nothing about 30% above market price in it. I think he just added the coindesk article link to con people into believing it backs his rumor up, which it does not.

That it was sold 30% (!!!) above market price?  Could someone find any news links or any person from say CoinDesk confirm this?

Rumor only for now:

https://twitter.com/CryptoKees/status/573577241235423232

No confirmation from any news source yet.

Why would anyone trust this?

The Sparood bitcointalk account links to the twitter account that the rumor came from (https://twitter.com/cryptokees)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=673734.msg7889951#msg7889951

He's not even a senior member.

The link in his tweet unshortens to http://www.coindesk.com/third-usms-bitcoin-auction-bidder-interest/ which makes no mention of 30% above market price.

Everything is based on the word of a full member account who was promoting a shitcoin like plankton.
Wow! thanks for the share man , so much you know for being a newbie(JK it's your alt) but doesn't matter , nice info .
i have been saying to everyone that it's nothing more than a rumour .
What just a simple member can cause with a lie .
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 05:30:06 AM

Why would they purchase something for 30% more if at all they want to dispose it?
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 4505

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 06:07:58 AM

Do you even know what the acronym FUD stands for?

I don't see fear, uncertainty or doubt being cast.

FUD is more typical of of bears who attempt to induce fear, uncertainty and doubt about Bitcoin by making negative comments in an attempt to drive prices down.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 06:15:10 AM

Why would they purchase something for 30% more if at all they want to dispose it?

All we know is that at the bitcoins sold at least for greater than 17% less than market price, so at LEAST $224. But no where was it said that the buyers paid more than 30% market price!

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 4505

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 06:15:22 AM

Regardless of whether they paid above, below or at market price, they didn't buy to sell.

They bought to acquire coins, most likely for new enterprises which need Bitcoin inventories.

Not everyone is a daytarder. Some here seem to forget that obvious fact.
koelen3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 07:02:07 AM

All we know is that at the bitcoins sold at least for greater than 17% less than market price, so at LEAST $224. But no where was it said that the buyers paid more than 30% market price!

Where is it shown it's greater than 17% of market price?
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 04:49:14 PM

1 person bought all the coins is the rumor, this is the coins i think:

https://blockchain.info/address/12pCPrWvudnefJCtXQUBcm9z2NogtC3Rix?filter=1
uhoh

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 05:11:38 PM

1 person bought all the coins is the rumor, this is the coins i think:

https://blockchain.info/address/12pCPrWvudnefJCtXQUBcm9z2NogtC3Rix?filter=1

I thought the same, but apparently not. Follow it along, it's being split.
chriswen

Activity: 756

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 05:23:27 PM

They send text transactions to winners. We have 1 3k confirmed winner.  47k is still in control by the feds.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 05:30:30 PM

It would not make sense to buy those coins at a 30% higher price and dump them at the normal price in the market. I am sure people who invest 13 million USD in the auction, and smart enough not to dump it right away

Common sense would tell that if the winner of the auction is paying higher than the market price, I don't think the guy will just dump it straight away to the open market. Somehow I have doubts whether the 30% claim is true in the first place. I mean with the money he has, he can opt to buy from different exchangers or even buy it in batches. What I think is that more likely the bidder might have won the auction paying at lower than market price.

You may be right about that. However the buyer at an auction is a different kind of buyer that uses the exchanges. (This is my theory). Exchanges are far to risky for an institutional buyer to use. They want to get $100K in one shot with no risk of fraud. A marshal auction is a very safe place to buy and that is worth a lot to a real investor. The big fish I know set up a private arrangement with a miner or look for a chance like an auction. They would not even consider sending money to an exchange.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 06:03:07 PM

Strange note appears on the transaction:

i see many people here begging for money, but i`m looking for an investor for my app-idea.Mr. Zuckerberg payed for Whatsapp $19 bil. My app will be used worldwide.i tried to get money this way: milliondollarsapp.com. Do you want to be my private investor?

lol https://blockchain.info/address/1DNM1TgbL8yYTsDzADw9W17Es2BEezMBpi
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 06:22:47 PM

On March 5th, 2015, the United States Marshals Service concluded its second online auction of bitcoins seized from Ross Ulbricht. The sealed bid auction was for 50,000 bitcoins divided into two series. The first series comprised ten blocks of 2,000 bitcoins and the second had ten blocks of 3,000 bitcoins. Bidders had to deposit US$ 100,000 for the first series and US$ 150,000 for the second series. The total number of bids stood at 34 from 14 bidders, and the value of the bitcoins at current market rates stands just shy of US$ 14 million.

The winning bidder will be notified on March 6th, 2014, and will be required to wire payment to the USMS by 2:00 pm, Monday, March 9th, 2015

Source : https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/us-marshals-conclude-online-bitcoin-auction-ross-ulbrichts-bitcoins/

So what do you think, will be the effect of this on market.
The winner will be disclosed on 9-10 march .
What if the Person dumps those coins ?
Are we ready to take such a big hit?

1. If the person dumps all those coins, then probably he/she lost in this game. Definitely a big loss if ever.
2. Yes. Seeing that we gained value and attention from scratch, I can fairly say that we are ready to face such a big hit.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 06:39:27 PM

I doubt the winner bid will directly dump the price, must be the winner is understand about bitcoin. My guess is the winner will make the ladder order which sell little bit

The winner will probably hold because most likely he bought above market price and once bitcoin starts gaining traction there will be no reason to sold unless you are mentally deficient.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 06:42:00 PM

I doubt the winner bid will directly dump the price, must be the winner is understand about bitcoin. My guess is the winner will make the ladder order which sell little bit

The winner will probably hold because most likely he bought above market price and once bitcoin starts gaining traction there will be no reason to sold unless you are mentally deficient.

True. If the winning bidder bought above the market price, then he/she wouldn't sell it off in a much lower price as it will result into a large loss. If he/she is insane, then probably he/she would do just that.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 07:13:13 PM

Why most likely above market rate? All we actually know, or have heard from a reliable source, its that a bid of $224 was not enough to win a lot, so the price was more than $224 for some of the lots.

The 30% over market price is an unconfirmed rumour, let's wait and see what is confirmed in the next few hours, the market reaction seems to be indicating that the buy price was over market value, but how much more is anyone's guess.
okthen

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 09:31:21 PM

Why most likely above market rate? All we actually know, or have heard from a reliable source, its that a bid of $224 was not enough to win a lot, so the price was more than $224 for some of the lots.

The 30% over market price is an unconfirmed rumour, let's wait and see what is confirmed in the next few hours, the market reaction seems to be indicating that the buy price was over market value, but how much more is anyone's guess.

That assumption is not just based in the 30% rumor, but on the past auctions...
koelen3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 09:36:06 PM

What if the Person dumps those coins ?
Are we ready to take such a big hit?

1. If the person dumps all those coins, then probably he/she lost in this game. Definitely a big loss if ever.
2. Yes. Seeing that we gained value and attention from scratch, I can fairly say that we are ready to face such a big hit.

Well! i was thinking he could maybe manipulate the market , like a pump and dump , he could easily do that with his number of coins

Strange note appears on the transaction:

i see many people here begging for money, but i`m looking for an investor for my app-idea.Mr. Zuckerberg payed for Whatsapp $19 bil. My app will be used worldwide.i tried to get money this way: milliondollarsapp.com. Do you want to be my private investor?

lol https://blockchain.info/address/1DNM1TgbL8yYTsDzADw9W17Es2BEezMBpi

LOL yes , saw it too
Quite funny.
I wonder do these people really get any investors like this?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: