Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:11:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bought my first 0.18 bitcoin!  (Read 2977 times)
Istaria (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 07:55:41 PM

Hello Bitcoiners!

I've been hanging around the last few days, posting silly questions and trying to get a handle. One of my main points of curiosity was how I could (a) buy some bitcoin and (b) spend some bitcoin. So a couple of nights ago after a *particularly* nice bottle (OK, I started into the second, so shoot me) I decided to unlimber the debit card and get purchasing...

And WOW it's a pain in the ass.

I can't use Paypal. OK, I get this - it's reversible. That's not what we want.

I can't seem to get Kraken going because they want a SEPA transfer. Give me a break please, I want my coins now, because I want to SPEND them now.

Circle doesn't like my card because I am not from the USA. From other people's posts on here, I am assuming there is a way around this, but I got stuck at the "Please enter a valid ZIP code". I'm from Ireland. You can, on a windy day, with a good lungful, spit from one side of the country to the other. We don't NEED zip codes. We all know each other, and just drop the mail around to each other's houses. OK, that's not true. Uncle Mick takes care of that, and he has a good pair of shoes.

So I find Virwox. Hey! I can buy these Lindenny thingies. And then they'll give me Bitcoin for them! Now, right?

Eh....no. You've probably figured out by now that I took the plunge anyhow, but I am a bit pissed at how the thing went down. Start an account, enter a debit card, buy the Lindenthings. OK, great so far. Except....the 15% (FIFTEEN FUCKING PERCENT?) fee. Alright, done is done, let's just convert the things and do something with the damn Bitcoin.

Except....no. I can trade from money in Lindenmebobs instantly, then I can trade from Lindenjobbies into BTC - but that part is not, of course instant. It requires a "manual step". Presumably someone has to look at it and think carefully for 48 hours, then click the button that says "Looks legit.". And it DID take 48 hours. 47.5 to be precise.

So OK, last night I got my 0.18 Bitcoin, purchase at the ball-shrivelling price of €50. Was mildly sozzled when I got it, so decided that it would be my "impartial review of games of chance" night. Blew the lot on a Bitcoin slot machine in a few hours. Honestly, I enjoyed myself. Can't complain about that, and I'll probably do that again.

But someone, please....there HAS to be an easier way??

The Bitcoin community wants uptake. And us shallow, newbie consumer types WANT to take it up. But when it's THIS damn hard....anyone else see this as a problem?

Ist.
neoneros

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 07:59:24 PM

You could have tried escrow and paypal to paypal payment?
Or someone in your country and a normal bank transfer?

There are trusted people on this forum who can provide such a service!

jorjito25

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 08:00:41 PM

Yes! I bought my first time at virwox. ..
Much easy bitstamp, will take u two days to verify ur account but after this is much easy.
Bit-X also is a good choise.
Regards!
L

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 08:07:59 PM

Congratulations, you're now a bitcoin owner. Smiley

I've use Bitstamp a few times, it's very easy, verification is the same as any other betting sites in EU, so I was quite used to it, and SEPA transfers usually take less than 24 hours, only work days.
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 08:18:53 PM

The PayPal-to-Linden-to-BTC thing using Virwox is really, really old. I can't imagine using that system now. Hope you get a hold of some bitcoins and can start playing around.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 08:20:42 PM

kraken is pretty fast imo, it could take only 8-12 for a sepa(at least in my case), i don't see all the issue about having the money so fast, you can't have fiat so fast either

1 day transfer is perfectly fine
Istaria (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 08:23:51 PM

i don't see all the issue about having the money so fast, you can't have fiat so fast either

Look at it from the point of view of a person discovering Bitcoin for the first time.

I want to try it and I want to try it NOW.

Anything else I want on the net I can buy it, with my card, in 30 seconds.

Also, yes I can have fiat (This is Fungible...something something something right? - i.e. cash?) now. I stick my card in the hole in the wall, it gives me money, I go to the pub.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 08:32:36 PM

Dude , just go and find someone locally, they will be happy to sell it to you @ market prices without any fee whatsoever.
Also, maybe there's an exchange locally, we have one where we can deposit and buy bitcoins within a few hours, and there's probably one u can use also.
Post in your local board, people will guide you much better there.

cheers

monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 08:39:31 PM

lol, an escrow with paypal trades do NOT protect you from chargebacks, please remember that.

You can build up your rep on here... I buy and sell BTC for paypal all the time with some other members on bitcointalk. Smiley
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 08:44:15 PM

lol, an escrow with paypal trades do NOT protect you from chargebacks, please remember that.

You can build up your rep on here... I buy and sell BTC for paypal all the time with some other members on bitcointalk. Smiley

Just dont let reputation delude you, i was trading alot also with paypal, and everything was great until one time i got suckered for ~500$ by a very trusted member,
what happened was that in the meantime he got into financial problems and just had to do what he did, in short (wow).
The best way is to trade with other non reversible options, and never go first, even if u traded with that person million times.

cheers
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 11:19:16 PM

Just dont let reputation delude you, i was trading alot also with paypal, and everything was great until one time i got suckered for ~500$ by a very trusted member,
what happened was that in the meantime he got into financial problems and just had to do what he did, in short (wow).
The best way is to trade with other non reversible options, and never go first, even if u traded with that person million times.

cheers
Exactly, very valid point. Please remember that accounts may be also traded between users and it happened in the past that someone bought a respectable account only for the purpose of scamming people.

In any case, welcome to Bitcoin. Have fun, but be careful.

this space is intentionally left blank
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 11:20:53 PM

Try Coinbase, super easy...but beware that you'll never get your private key so technically the wallets aren't yours to walk away with. That said they're very reputable and  while they make it super easy to purchase BTC you can then direct your purchased BTC to an offline wallet for safer storage.

Welcome!

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3231

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 11:26:38 PM

Try localbitcoins.com. It is fast and convenient.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Slaxt

Activity: 476

Gone......

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 11:27:11 PM

i don't see all the issue about having the money so fast, you can't have fiat so fast either

Look at it from the point of view of a person discovering Bitcoin for the first time.

Also, yes I can have fiat (This is Fungible...something something something right? - i.e. cash?) now. I stick my card in the hole in the wall, it gives me money, I go to the pub.

This is a problem a new guy see's the problem we need places for people to get near on instant access to Bitcoin, my first purchase was near on instant only took the time for me to learn my way around the site localbitcoins. Yes payed a slight premium but it was easy and never ad the agrow you are dealing with. Sorry to hear that and welcome and good luck Smiley

TC is the worse thing to happen to default, needs to open his eyes and not jump to conclusions, not everyone lies!!! Anyway as promised I have left, pass word changed to long random which I will forget like that plonker who ruined a perfectly fine account.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 11:35:03 PM

The PayPal-to-Linden-to-BTC thing using Virwox is really, really old. I can't imagine using that system now. Hope you get a hold of some bitcoins and can start playing around.
Whenever I hear this I always got nostalgic. This is how I got my first Bitcoins back in the day. It was really quick and I didn't need to give ID details or anything which was great, but man these fucking fees.
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 11:55:46 PM

There are several services that would work perfectly for you: e.g. bitonic.nl or coinimal.com

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 07:56:38 AM

then the only way is to buy it here on the forum, or face to face in real life

or localbitcoin...
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:55:32 AM

Hello Bitcoiners!

I've been hanging around the last few days, posting silly questions and trying to get a handle. One of my main points of curiosity was how I could (a) buy some bitcoin and (b) spend some bitcoin. So a couple of nights ago after a *particularly* nice bottle (OK, I started into the second, so shoot me) I decided to unlimber the debit card and get purchasing...

And WOW it's a pain in the ass.

I can't use Paypal. OK, I get this - it's reversible. That's not what we want.

I can't seem to get Kraken going because they want a SEPA transfer. Give me a break please, I want my coins now, because I want to SPEND them now.

Circle doesn't like my card because I am not from the USA. From other people's posts on here, I am assuming there is a way around this, but I got stuck at the "Please enter a valid ZIP code". I'm from Ireland. You can, on a windy day, with a good lungful, spit from one side of the country to the other. We don't NEED zip codes. We all know each other, and just drop the mail around to each other's houses. OK, that's not true. Uncle Mick takes care of that, and he has a good pair of shoes.

So I find Virwox. Hey! I can buy these Lindenny thingies. And then they'll give me Bitcoin for them! Now, right?

Eh....no. You've probably figured out by now that I took the plunge anyhow, but I am a bit pissed at how the thing went down. Start an account, enter a debit card, buy the Lindenthings. OK, great so far. Except....the 15% (FIFTEEN FUCKING PERCENT?) fee. Alright, done is done, let's just convert the things and do something with the damn Bitcoin.

Except....no. I can trade from money in Lindenmebobs instantly, then I can trade from Lindenjobbies into BTC - but that part is not, of course instant. It requires a "manual step". Presumably someone has to look at it and think carefully for 48 hours, then click the button that says "Looks legit.". And it DID take 48 hours. 47.5 to be precise.

So OK, last night I got my 0.18 Bitcoin, purchase at the ball-shrivelling price of €50. Was mildly sozzled when I got it, so decided that it would be my "impartial review of games of chance" night. Blew the lot on a Bitcoin slot machine in a few hours. Honestly, I enjoyed myself. Can't complain about that, and I'll probably do that again.

But someone, please....there HAS to be an easier way??

The Bitcoin community wants uptake. And us shallow, newbie consumer types WANT to take it up. But when it's THIS damn hard....anyone else see this as a problem?

Ist.

There are easier ways : localbitcoins, friends, exchanges (get verified first).
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 12:12:38 PM

I purchase most of my coins from members on this forum, use escrow it's safe, easy and quick.

I also got some coin though Coinjar, only problem doing that is you pay a GST of 10% on top of the price.
It can take a couple of days to buy your first bitcoins though a company like Coinbase or Coinjar and other exchanges.
To have the convenience of buying BTC straight from an account instant means the company needs to verify you and abide by KYC and AML laws.
I have been through all this with Coinjar and can now cash out straight to my bank if i need some quick cash.
I don't leave BTC or $ in my Coinjar account but it only takes 2 seconds to transfer some BTC from a paper wallet into the account then into fiat if needed.

Localbitcoins is always availble but most of the times i get much better rates from trusted members on this forum than LBC charge, the mark up is huge with some sellers.

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:35:00 PM

get an international credit card and use circle?

You will get your BTC within minutes
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: