Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:26:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about the price gap between BTC-E and Bitstamp  (Read 1675 times)
innocent93 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 06:18:59 AM

Why the Bitcoin price on BTC-E is always lower(a couple of dollars) than the one that on Bitstamp? Because of difference in exchange rate?
Why the market didn't correct the difference?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 06:40:20 AM

It's tough to say for sure without more information. What's the difference in the bid/ask spread between BTC-e and Bit Stamp? The spread is the difference between the bid (what someone will pay) and the ask (what someone will sell for). That difference is usually the fee the exchange or trader keeps for bringing the buyer and the seller together. If there isn't a spread then it's possible that Bit Stamp's higher price is due to them adding a fee into their trading so they can make some money for their services.

At worst you know that you should buy BTC from BTC-e (lower price) and sell your BTC on or to Bit Stamp (higher price)!

Kimowa

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 06:44:48 AM

Arbitrage is in full effect my friend, thats the beauty of a free market.

innocent93 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 06:54:02 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2015, 11:23:31 AM by innocent93

Yes, I thought that arbitrage will correct any difference among the different markets, but it didn't. BTC-E is always lower, sometimes the it's up to $10.
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 07:33:45 AM

Check this : http://bitcoinpricelab.com/

The price difference between HitBtc and Btc-e is more than 13$ atm and there is always a Difference and an Arbitrage opportunity .
They are not corrected because this is not just some altcoin and takes time for you to deposit/withdraw USD/BTC .
It also depends on market and Traders make good profit of it , so they try to keep a good difference themselves.
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:04:17 AM

Yes, I thought that arbitrage will correct any difference among the different markets, but it's didn't. BTC-E is always lower, sometimes the it's up to $10.

Have you compare the deposit fee for both exchanges?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:07:08 AM

it's based also on the fact that, withdrawal is slower in one of the two exchange, based on that you can't really take advantage from it
Q7

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 08:44:32 AM

Like what is mentioned by the rest here. The fees factor plays a part whether it is the fund withdrawal fee or trading fees. You can't take advantage of the arbitrage due to these reasons. There are certain exchangers that charge a fixed withdrawal fee but there are some which are based on the percent associated to the withdrawal amount. So, if it's percent, then depending on the size of withdrawal, it will be an increased amount.
However like yourself, I also can't figure out exactly how to explain on the price difference.

foxkyu

Activity: 938

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:22:02 AM

Why the Bitcoin price on BTC-E is always lower(a couple of dollars) than the one that on Bitstamp? Because of difference in exchange rate?
i think every market have different customer
i mean btc-e based on eu, and huobi based on china. and demand on every customer in every country is different
so that's why price is different every market
XCASH
Legendary

Activity: 929

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:09:44 PM

Check this : http://bitcoinpricelab.com/

The price difference between HitBtc and Btc-e is more than 13$ atm and there is always a Difference and an Arbitrage opportunity .
They are not corrected because this is not just some altcoin and takes time for you to deposit/withdraw USD/BTC .
It also depends on market and Traders make good profit of it , so they try to keep a good difference themselves.

At the weekend people cannot make deposits from their bank accounts. Once the people with money already on there have taken advantage of the cheap coins there is no new money until Monday when the banks open again.
Bralex

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:53:47 PM

Yes, I thought that arbitrage will correct any difference among the different markets, but it didn't. BTC-E is always lower, sometimes the it's up to $10.

Yeh that statement is not right as far as i am aware, it would have balanced it out if arbitrage was involved, i trade on btc-e and until there is a real high difference like close to $10 it is basically a waste of time after the fee's transaction times etc that is why the gap because there is no arbitrage. Reason being try move funds from a to b in any quick time it aint going to happen. 

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
noma

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 02:09:34 PM

Has anyone been successful in actually arbitraging ? And why is it, that bitstamp is considered the standard on all sites ?
Bitstamp is considered as the standard mainly because it has the biggest volume amongst all the exchanges.

▓▓▓▓    New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange             → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓    Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 02:15:19 PM

Has anyone been successful in actually arbitraging ? And why is it, that bitstamp is considered the standard on all sites ?
Bitstamp is considered as the standard mainly because it has the biggest volume amongst all the exchanges.
Not anymore since the hack.

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
bri912678

Activity: 348

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 02:54:10 PM

Not anymore since the hack.

Bitstamp's USD volume is now below bitfinex, okcoin, and coinbase's. Bitfinex is now the highest USD volume exchange. Most bitstamp customers probably swapped to bitfinex after the hack.
justforbtc

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 03:21:25 PM

The biggest reason for the price difference is getting money into BTC-E is hard!
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 09:17:10 PM

The biggest reason for the price difference is getting money into BTC-E is hard!

not hard, but expensive.

Exception US people, since US based accounts are problematic to do wire transfer to BTC-E
RedhatCAT

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 01:14:43 AM

Since no one really knows for sure, and the fact that I do not like anyone's answer so far, I will chime in....

I would say that the reason would be that btc-e offers more privacy protections then bitstamp, therefore people are more inclined to sell on btc-e then they are to buy on btc-e as they do not need to go through the AML/KYC verifications that bitstamp (and other exchanges) require their customers to go through
jeffhuys

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 01:18:19 AM

Most people don't really care they can make a quick 10 bucks? If you keep doing that, you'll get a lot of money in a very short time, or am I mistaken? I probably am, huh?  Tongue

Berau

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 05:48:29 AM

This happens with btc-e and btcchina as well. If you check btc-e's prices for CNY, and check BTCChina's exchange rate, you'll see this huge price gap of more than 80 RMB.
Bizmark13

Activity: 462

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 05:58:14 AM

How easy/hard is it to get money out of BTC-e?

I have little experience with BTC-e and none whatsoever with Bitstamp but if this is true, then it does sound like a reasonable explanation. Back in mid-late 2013, it was much easier to get BTC out of Mt. Gox than fiat. So naturally more people exchanged their fiat into BTC and withdrew instead of exchanging their BTC into fiat and getting their withdrawal delayed. That resulted in increased demand for BTC and a BTC price that was significantly above every other exchange operating at the time. Usually these sorts of price differences between exchanges can be explained by the ease of getting fiat and BTC in and out, as well as trading and/or deposit/withdrawal fees.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: