Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:14:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Theory in Contract Enforcement  (Read 1134 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 07:02:49 AM

I'm exploring the notion of Bitcoin as a tool for smart contracts as they apply to online games. So far all online gaming is done through central servers. The rules for poker are clear and should be easy enough to program into a decentralized contract. The roles of the dealer would need to be enforced as well as the players so all players share equal stake and a dealer that quit would be penalized. Confederacy would need to be eliminated through randomization and anonymization. Thoughts?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 08:29:11 AM

Forgive me for being naive, but why would bitcoin make that possible? Wouldn't you be able to do that without bitcoin?

tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:40:18 AM

Forgive me for being naive, but why would bitcoin make that possible? Wouldn't you be able to do that without bitcoin?

The notion of bitcoin, to be precise. The idea is to use public-key cryptography for decentralization as I got it (so no need for central servers as such). The purpose is to make the game presumably more fair and also lower fees, if I'm not mistaken.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:43:32 AM

Good question. I had never heard of smart contracts before the advent of Bitcoin. They are the foundation of Bitcoin 2.0 development. I would like to know how it can be done using decentralized and distributed provably fair consensus contracts outside traditional Tort law.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:47:12 AM

I'm exploring the notion of Bitcoin as a tool for smart contracts as they apply to online games. So far all online gaming is done through central servers. The rules for poker are clear and should be easy enough to program into a decentralized contract. The roles of the dealer would need to be enforced as well as the players so all players share equal stake and a dealer that quit would be penalized. Confederacy would need to be eliminated through randomization and anonymization. Thoughts?

Isn't this the basic thought behind ethereum? One of the uses of ethereum may be online gaming.
But where does game theory come into your question?
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 05:06:04 AM

Isn't this the basic thought behind ethereum? One of the uses of ethereum may be online gaming.
But where does game theory come into your question?
I suppose Ethereum could be used for the game design when it is released, but the cryptographic security would still require a staked cryptocurrency. Game theory is central to all decentralized and distributed operations. Currently only centralized solutions are used for the strategic decision making wrt gambling. They will require a consensus scheme that creates trustless fair play. Game theory also needs to deal with cheating and metadata, so additional security measures will be required. I'm sure there are other issues created by making games decentralized.

So far, nobody has come even close to creating such a device. Yet this may be a crucial implementation for Bitcoin acceptance as a technology.

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 08:36:53 AM

Apparently this is the wrong forum. The Bitcoin 2.0 forums have discussions about these.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: