Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:04:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best USB drive to store your Bitcoins  (Read 3353 times)
mishax1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:38:34 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2015, 10:10:54 AM by mishax1

I'll go ahead and post this in the Beginners section as it fits the most in my opinion.

Which USB drive would be your best choice for storing sensitive data like bitcoin keys and wallets and why?

Please provide a link to your preferred USB stick.

I have ordered a Sandisk Cruzer Force 8gb for 4$ from ebay just because I had some change in my paypal account, yeah it might be fake, and i'm not sure if i'm going to use it for that kind of storage. (If it's fake i'm going to charge back this crap).
I've seen it's rating on Amazon store and it looks like a decent USB.

So, what would be your pick ? (links please(amazon/newegg/ebay).
steven.G999

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:41:19 AM

This is very cheap for me, I want to have it Smiley

with that price, it is very recommendation and safe?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:50:41 AM

i'm using sandisk blade 8gb, it work good for me, using 3 of those just in case one dies or does some bad joke

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171501
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 10:55:08 AM

Why just backup on one? USBs are very cheap these days. I have my keys backed up on 3 and a DVD Disc and Cpl of paper wallets. I have lost some Altcoins in the past, so I now take extra precautions.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
newflesh

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:57:32 AM

I use a 16GB Survivor USB stick (corsair) for one of my backups, very sturdy design.

There's more info here: http://usb.userbenchmark.com/Corsair-Flash-Survivor-USB-30-16GB/Rating/1277
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 10:58:23 AM

dont buy a fake usb stick just because its cheap  Roll Eyes - you will store alot money on this stick!

just go to amazon and buy a solid usb stick with from a good brand. use more than one.

Whitehouse

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:03:28 AM

Personally I use sandisk and have been for years and never had a single one die on me. I wouldn't recommend keeping your bitcoins solely on one drive, though. Back your wallets up on at least two drives and maybe some cd-r/dvd-rs or even write your private keys down or wallet seed. That way you're very protected in several ways so you should be safe.

dont buy a fake usb stick just because its cheap  Roll Eyes - you will store alot money on this stick!

just go to amazon and buy a solid usb stick with from a good brand. use more than one.

Agreed. Genuine USB sticks are already very cheap so just make sure you buy one from a reputable seller of them. Fake ones are usually easy to tell and they never have the correct stated size.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:07:21 AM

Personally I use sandisk and have been for years and never had a single one die on me. I wouldn't recommend keeping your bitcoins solely on one drive, though. Back your wallets up on at least two drives and maybe some cd-r/dvd-rs or even write your private keys down or wallet seed. That way you're very protected in several ways so you should be safe.

Agreed. Genuine USB sticks are already very cheap so just make sure you buy one from a reputable seller of them. Fake ones are usually easy to tell and they never have the correct stated size.

I'm agree with you, for example this article is interesting : http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/33110.aspx

"In 2008, a number of companies released 64GB USB flash drives. In 2009, there started to be claims that there are also 128GB USB flash dives available. While there are reliable 64 GB USB thumb drives available from well known online and off line suppliers, there were no actual 128GB capacity drives on the market until June 2009. There is a supply of counterfeit goods from China, made of hacked 512mb, 2GB and, 4GB flash drives formatted to appear as 16GB, 3GB, 64GBGB and 128GB flash drives."
mishax1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:09:37 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2015, 11:27:53 AM by mishax1

I use a 16GB Survivor USB stick (corsair) for one of my backups, very sturdy design.

There's more info here: http://usb.userbenchmark.com/Corsair-Flash-Survivor-USB-30-16GB/Rating/1277

It's price is pretty high but it looks decent, I will consider getting one of those for sure..   gonna read some reviews.. Wink

The survivor stealth seems even better:

The seller says(at the bottom of the page) that this is a genuine sandisk, lets hope it is Smiley
newflesh

Activity: 630

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:39:33 AM

It's price is pretty high but it looks decent, I will consider getting one of those for sure..   gonna read some reviews.. Wink

The survivor stealth seems even better:

Yeah the stealth does look pretty cool Wink There are cheaper USB sticks available but I like to spend a bit more on decent brands, especially when its bitcoin related.
mishax1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 12:20:06 PM

There is also this weird thingy.. lol   http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/dualdrive-type-c/
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 12:28:24 PM

Whatever might be your choice, but bitkey makes it more secure.
Check that here: http://bitkey.io/

"BitKey is a bootable system image based on Debian containing everything you need to perform highly secure air-gapped Bitcoin transactions. You don't need to install it to a hard drive because it runs live from RAM. You just write the ISO image to a USB drive or burn it to CDROM."
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:06:50 PM

There is also this weird thingy.. lol   http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/dualdrive-type-c/

no need to spend too much on backup, just buy plenty of the cheapest sandisk(not fake)

i think there is a 4 gb sandisk version, you could by that, since you don't need tons of giga for the wallet.dat
mishax1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:14:06 PM

no need to spend too much on backup, just buy plenty of the cheapest sandisk(not fake)

i think there is a 4 gb sandisk version, you could by that, since you don't need tons of giga for the wallet.dat

I'm not even going to store the wallet.bat file on it  Roll Eyes
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 03:56:04 PM

Will you be storing the keys or the core on the usb?

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 04:25:31 PM

Main things are buy branded Kingston's or corsair. Buy from trusted seller worst thing to get is a fake USB device. And then use a flash drive checker to check its real and has no defects.

james1408

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 04:44:52 PM

If you're going to be storing keys a 4gb should be fine by kingston.
elephantas1

Activity: 378

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 05:54:54 PM

4 gb for keys? isnt that like a lot too much?
mishax1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 06:05:07 PM

Enough spamming thread with useless posts just to get payment for your post. should have made this thread moderated.

Will you be storing the keys or the core on the usb?
answered one post above.

4 gb for keys? isnt that like a lot too much?

No shit, Sherlock!  Roll Eyes
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 10:12:24 AM

I think you have got enough answers. I suggest you to make a format(not quick) and wait for it to finish(might take some minutes). Some softwares help you to format in more advanced way, that will be better than 'normal format'.

How are you planning to use it? Create a LiveUSB and install wallet or just store private keys?

-MZ

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: