Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:57:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recovered wallet.dat files  (Read 1632 times)
someone2 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:54:00 AM

I have recovered about 20 old wallet.dat files from a hard drive, some are bitcoin wallets, some are altcoin wallets (don't remember which is which, and which altcoins...) some are encrypted, some might be corrupted.

So what are my options to recover them? install every client and try to import every wallet with each client?
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 12:54:26 PM

It used to be possible to import Bitcoin wallet.dats at blockchain.info. The rest - don't know.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:11:11 PM

You can use a tool like pywallet to "scan" for addresses and private keys inside the wallet. That way you'll know to which coin they belong to Smiley
someone2 (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 04:54:57 PM

hmm, no Luck pywallet always tells me to quit bitcoin:

C:\New>D:\Python27\python.exe C:\New\pywallet.py --datadir C:\\New --dumpwallet
ERROR:root:Couldn't open wallet.dat/main. Try quitting Bitcoin and running this
again.

but there is no Bitcoin installed on this PC.
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 06:38:39 PM

again.

Try copying wallet.dat to the same folder as pywallet. Or at least the same drive.

LuckyBtc
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 07:11:16 PM

It used to be possible to import Bitcoin wallet.dats at blockchain.info. The rest - don't know.
You can still import wallet.dats at Blockchain.

I have recovered about 20 old wallet.dat files from a hard drive, some are bitcoin wallets, some are altcoin wallets (don't remember which is which, and which altcoins...) some are encrypted, some might be corrupted.

So what are my options to recover them? install every client and try to import every wallet with each client?
Try importing wallet.dat on BC you might find the bitcoin wallet.dat Smiley
https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 07:25:44 PM

again.

Pretty strange, do you have your wallet on the default folder? That's where pywallet scans for files. Create a Bitcoin folder on %appdata% and put the wallet.dat there.
someone2 (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:44:18 PM

Create a Bitcoin folder on %appdata% and put the wallet.dat there.

Did exactly this and Pywallet could scan 3 of my wallets, (all empty bitcoin wallets ...) So the rest would be corrupted? Is there any documentation about the wallet.dat file format, or do I have to read the code to understand it?
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:55:02 PM

Pywallet should work for Bitcoin but not for the others, also you can only extract things if unencrypted or you know the PW.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 12:29:54 AM

Did exactly this and Pywallet could scan 3 of my wallets, (all empty bitcoin wallets ...) So the rest would be corrupted? Is there any documentation about the wallet.dat file format, or do I have to read the code to understand it?

You should check them for CLAM[1], maybe the wallet had something left when they were distributed.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623147.0

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:32:23 AM

You should check them for CLAM[1], maybe the wallet had something left when they were distributed.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623147.0

Yes, but I think he is far away from the point of even accesing them in the first place.

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Webnet

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

DaDice! Next Generation Dice Game

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 12:05:17 PM

you can use python tools to extract the addresses

desertfox470

Activity: 542
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 01:33:49 AM

If the wallet is encrypted with a password and you do not know the password it is pretty much worthless to try and import it now. You will need to wait until computers are able to crack passwords at a crazy rate. It can take you years just to figure out a 8 letter passcode.
kowwip

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:36:43 PM

Thanks for your direction ! This is the first time I know about this.
godidi

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:17:22 PM

Thanks for your direction ! This is the first time I know about this.

Oh ! I am too. I am newbie about crypto currency so I just know a little about Bitcoin wallet even I still have not yet known how to use it well. This is the first time I know this. Thanks for great information !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: