Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 12:22:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Large is BTCST exposure?  (Read 10410 times)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 11:40:12 PM

Quote from:  US Department of the Treasury
The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/currency/pages/legal-tender.aspx

Does that mean that if I lend you my car for the weekend, you're within your rights to sell it and give me back the amount you got in dollars?

If I lend you my car, I expect to get my car back.

In the same way, if I lend you some Bitcoins, I expect to be paid back in Bitcoins.

Is the law really saying that all loans can be paid back in dollars at the borrowers discretion?

I think the main problem is more along the lines of:

US law =/= Global law

People would do well to remember that...

My understanding is that pirateat40 is a "us person" or has a strong enough nexus in the United States so that US law would apply, likely in the state of Texas. But even if US law did not apply in all of his cases. Suppose he has to settle in EUR or CAD etc., because of local laws with some creditors he can still avoid moving the BTC market.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Frankie

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 12:34:09 AM

You think that dollars being legal tender gives everyone the right to liquidate any contract they please by paying what they claim to be fair market value?  That's an interesting belief.  Others believe in bigfoot.

More importantly, has he ever even promised to give everything back?  The lead post seems to have a disclaimer about risk and past performance not being a guarantee.  If Pirate's really looking for a tricky legal argument, that'd be the one I would use. 

As if anyone could sue him for being "hacked" or having a major deal go wrong in these "bitcoins" (assuming you can even prove who the responsible party is...)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 12:43:40 AM

You think that dollars being legal tender gives everyone the right to liquidate any contract they please by paying what they claim to be fair market value?  That's an interesting belief.  Others believe in bigfoot.

More importantly, has he ever even promised to give everything back?  The lead post seems to have a disclaimer about risk and past performance not being a guarantee.  If Pirate's really looking for a tricky legal argument, that'd be the one I would use. 

As if anyone could sue him for being "hacked" or having a major deal go wrong in these "bitcoins" (assuming you can even prove who the responsible party is...)

The tricky legal problem here is determining what fair market value is. That is where the lawyers will start to bill.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 07:57:24 AM

Black Market Drug Site 'Silk Road' Booming: $22 Million In Annual Sales
His findings: the site’s number of sellers, who offer everything from cocaine to ecstasy, has jumped from around 300 in February to more than 550. Its total sales now add up to around $1.9 million a month. And its operators generate more than $6,000 a day in commissions for themselves, compared with around $2,500 in February.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/08/06/black-market-drug-site-silk-road-booming-22-million-in-annual-mostly-illegal-sales/

I think this puts the argument that Pirate's business is somehow related to laundering coins for silk road to rest. Pirate's interest payments completely dwarf Silk Roads operator profit and almost rivals the combined revenue of all silk road sellers combined.

blazing

Activity: 46
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:11:24 AM

His findings: the site’s number of sellers, who offer everything from cocaine to ecstasy, has jumped from around 300 in February to more than 550. Its total sales now add up to around $1.9 million a month. And its operators generate more than $6,000 a day in commissions for themselves, compared with around $2,500 in February.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/08/06/black-market-drug-site-silk-road-booming-22-million-in-annual-mostly-illegal-sales/

I think this puts the argument that Pirate's business is somehow related to laundering coins for silk road to rest. Pirate's interest payments completely dwarf Silk Roads operator profit and almost rivals the combined revenue of all silk road sellers combined.

Well now that makes me feel somewhat more confident about pirate's operation continuing.
Shadow383 (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:40:33 AM

Well now that makes me feel somewhat more confident about pirate's operation continuing.
How so? There's still no known revenue stream...
SpontaneousDisorder

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:59:15 AM

Its crazy the public can be duped into believing in the fiat money banking cartel ponzi scheme, and yet we have the same thing here in a microcosm. Amazing. There are even people insuring the bonds, just like derivatives!
finkleshnorts

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 11:37:43 AM

Whatever happens, it's going to be spectacular.  There's no way this scheme ends without drama.

+1

one of the few things that still keeps me posting here  Grin

It took me roughly 9 seconds to realize that you weren't talking about Michael Jackson GIFs
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 12:57:48 PM

just like derivatives!

nothing wrong with derivatives, as long as they're not being violently enforced as a primary currency to be used by everyone with their value loss due to their collapse being socialized.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
556j

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 01:50:40 PM

Its crazy the public can be duped into believing in the fiat money banking cartel ponzi scheme, and yet we have the same thing here in a microcosm. Amazing. There are even people insuring the bonds, just like derivatives!

Most of the pirate insurance are obvious scams though. Goat's is the only one that makes financial sense. The others take on full pirate risk for less profit. With no logical explanation (one said "creative accounting") and dodge any inquiries about why they'd offer it. Or pull the "you're too stupid to understand" nonsense. Unless you think the operators are just nice guys and want to run a charity.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 03:46:50 PM

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues

Does that mean that if I lend you my car for the weekend, you're within your rights to sell it and give me back the amount you got in dollars?

In the same way, if I lend you some Bitcoins, I expect to be paid back in Bitcoins.

Is the law really saying that all loans can be paid back in dollars at the borrowers discretion?

Most/all judges are not young computer geeks so good luck

I doubt pirate would even be charged with anything if he claimed he was hacked tomorrow and someone
stole everyones coins

if the coins are transferred to some anonymous wallet using untraceable  IP address from TOR  ,what case 
would there be for pirate to answer?

does everyone  have a paper contract signed and witnessed that says pirate owes them 10,000 BTC or $110,000 in cash for deposits invested ?

didnt think so Cheesy
Shadow383 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 04:34:01 PM

Most of the pirate insurance are obvious scams though. Goat's is the only one that makes financial sense. The others take on full pirate risk for less profit. With no logical explanation (one said "creative accounting") and dodge any inquiries about why they'd offer it. Or pull the "you're too stupid to understand" nonsense. Unless you think the operators are just nice guys and want to run a charity.
I still maintain someone with confidence in BS&T (anybody???) should offer Pirate CDS.
The only issue is how to enforce payment - there'd have to be a free-floating CDS market so that it can find an appropriate rate. It'd inevitably also settle at >7% to be worthwhile for the sellers.
Frankie

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:23:04 PM

Most/all judges are not young computer geeks so good luck

I doubt pirate would even be charged with anything if he claimed he was hacked tomorrow and someone
stole everyones coins

if the coins are transferred to some anonymous wallet using untraceable  IP address from TOR  ,what case 
would there be for pirate to answer?

does everyone  have a paper contract signed and witnessed that says pirate owes them 10,000 BTC or $110,000 in cash for deposits invested ?

didnt think so Cheesy

+1

Even if you did have an enforceable contract, you'd never know if he stashed the coins in an offline wallet somewhere, and you'd never be able to prove it.

Individuals are judgmentproof anyways. Good luck getting you bitcoins from a bankruptcy estate.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:16:12 PM

This is actually incredibly common.  For example, pretty much every commodity exchange asserts the right to pay you out in cash if they need to.  This is one of the reasons they say it is safe to trade more futures contracts for gold than actually exists.  That is just an example, everything else is done the same way too.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Frankie

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 02:04:43 AM

This is actually incredibly common.  For example, pretty much every commodity exchange asserts the right to pay you out in cash if they need to.  This is one of the reasons they say it is safe to trade more futures contracts for gold than actually exists.  That is just an example, everything else is done the same way too.

That's because cash settlement is usually baked into the contract. Sure, if dooglus lends you his car with the option of cash repayment, you could get cash back, but it's because of the nature of the contract rather than the dollar being legal tender.

Before the 1980s most futures contracts required actual delivery, and many still do (even though most of these are unwound by covering the contract close to expiration).
ruski

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:35:47 AM

It's pretty clear everybody arguing about the legality of paying the outstanding debts in USD instead of BTC has no idea how shorts work.

I borrow 10 BTC from you, and pay you $100 at market price.
I then immediately sell them for $10x10 = $100.
The price then plummets to $1.
I buy 10 BTC off the market for $10, give you the near-worthless 10 BTC, and keep the $90 profit.

Now that we're all on the same page, I can't just give you back $10. The contract states that I owe you BTC, or oil, or scrap metal, not dollars. If the current bid price for BTC was $1, but the ask price was $30, would you accept $1 each as fair value? Neither would anyone else.

If he owes BTC he must pay BTC. Non-currency or not. If I owe you a Tinkerbell doll I have to give you a Tinkerbell doll, not $5.

phungus

Activity: 128

I'm doin' fine on cloud 9

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 03:50:02 PM

What is surprising to me is just how large a target this guy is for a real hacker/social engineer/thief, in real life.

His name is public, his facial details are known, his place of residence is likely known by somebody with access to county records. He happens to live in a "hacker hotbed" (The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex).

I would not be surprised at all if he's targeted personally.

I'm sure he uses encryption and what-not but everyone makes mistakes.

I just can't see how this can be good in the long run. My gut tells me if something happens we can kiss goodbye to double digit Bitcoin pricing. :-D

-p

I can do stuff
el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 04:10:42 AM

which day of the week does he pay out the interest? just for me to know when to look for a default...

if you take 500k bitcoin at a 6% interest per week that would make 10M bitcoin in only one year - more than in existence...
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 04:15:01 AM

which day of the week does he pay out the interest? just for me to know when to look for a default...

if you take 500k bitcoin at a 6% interest per week that would make 10M bitcoin in only one year - more than in existence...

you should read the op.  If you're too lazy to do even that, you're not going to be much use determining if it is a ponzi or not.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 04:25:21 AM

Which would be a huge bummer if he ever needed, for some ungodly reason, to accumulate all of the payout before making it.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: