Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:37:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Yesterday I helped this Leeds cafe / cyrstal shop with a way to accept bitcoin  (Read 1878 times)
Yorkydude (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 07:39:30 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2015, 08:26:07 PM by Yorkydude

The name is Global Tribe Cafe and Global Tribe Crystals. They are bang in the center of Leeds and serve some wonderful vegetarian and vegan food. I'm not veggy but thoroughly enjoyed my meal their yesterday.

I met the owners through a friend just before Xmas. They're very open minded people and agreed to give it a go after Xmas. They have a quite a few staff, so I need to go back soon to give some of them a run through using it. I set them up with an Airbitz and a blockchain app on their new tablet. I also gave them some paper wallets to send their bitcoins to when they build up a few. I still need to put them on the bitcoin maps websites so people can see they accept them... that's something I'll look into this week.

If anyone lives in Leeds, please drop by and sample their amazing food!

http://www.globaltribecafe.com/

http://www.globalcrystals.co.uk/

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/65d7e0cd31e7de9a403031fb33c1fe5a.jpg

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/c4b9610a12ada39b25bad0068a77b2a9.jpg

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/3297520c6daf0a4649f780ae19543bff.jpg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
asuryan180

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:23:17 PM

The name is Global Tribe Cafe and Global Tribe Crystals. They are bang in the center of Leeds and serve some wonderful vegetarian and vegan food. I' not veggy but thoroughly enjoyed my meal their yesterday.

I met the owners through a friend just before Xmas. They're very open minded people and agreed to give it a go after Xmas. They have a quite a few staff, so I need to go back soon to give some of them a run through using it. I set them up with an Airbitz and a blockchain app on their new tablet. I also gave them some paper wallets to send their bitcoins to when they build up a few. I still need to put them on the bitcoin maps websites so people can see they accept them... that's something I'll look into this week.

If anyone lives in Leeds, please drop by and sample their amazing food!

http://www.globaltribecafe.com/

http://www.globalcrystals.co.uk/

Great job!
Thanks to people like u ecosystem is growing.
The hole world will get into this big technologic

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:31:42 PM

Kudos to you for spreading the word and acceptance of bitcoin, i hope we see many more stories like this one in the future.
Also, i hope they will have some more customers trying out their new method of payment Smiley
If i ever get a chance ill definetly check it out, im allready preparing myself for bitcoin only journey !

cheers
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:44:03 PM

Kudos to you for spreading the word and acceptance of bitcoin, i hope we see many more stories like this one in the future.
Also, i hope they will have some more customers trying out their new method of payment Smiley
If i ever get a chance ill definetly check it out, im allready preparing myself for bitcoin only journey !

cheers
I was very surprised at Christmas when I was in Newcastle and found no where in the entire city accepts bitcoin.
Make sure that this cafe is easily google-able for their ability to accept bitcoin, I think they will get quite a bit of trade based on that alone if it is clear online where locals can find them.

Nice work by the way
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 09:36:34 PM

Great work man, congratulation!
We need more such people like you, BTC users ready to invest time and effort in order to explain benefits of using BTC to different merchants.
This is only way for BTC to succeed. 

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Yorkydude (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 07:26:26 AM

Thanks guys. I was so happy to find a cool place with a great location to try it. I'm really interested to see how many people they get. After a few weeks I'm going to to contact some local media to see if they want to run a story as it's the first place in leeds to accept bitcoin. I hope to use this experience to try and get more places to accept it.

If you guys have any advice on which sites I should be putting their details so people can find them easily, please do.

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 08:59:03 AM

Very cool, however, unfortunately it doesn't work like this in 99.9% of the cases.

Many more merchants might be willing to give Bitcoin a try, if they (at least at first) can have it automatically converted to fiat, and don't have to deal with Bitcoin technicalities (wallet apps, protecting/storing/backing up their coins, etc). Botherhing them with wallet apps, transactions, daily rates, and whatnot, can actually scare more merchants away than getting them aboard (with this cool cafe and shop owner as a positive but rare exception).

There are plenty of very easy payment providers through which even the most reluctant, non-tech-savvy merchant can easily accept Bitcoin, free of charge, free of risk, free of hassle.

Don't get me wrong, of course I'm all pro merchants directly accepting (and keeping) bitcoins without any 3rd party middle men or conversion to fiat. But in all honesty, that's not realistic as of yet in most situations.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Yorkydude (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 09:19:57 AM

Very cool, however, unfortunately it doesn't work like this in 99.9% of the cases.

Many more merchants might be willing to give Bitcoin a try, if they (at least at first) can have it automatically converted to fiat, and don't have to deal with Bitcoin technicalities (wallet apps, protecting/storing/backing up their coins, etc). Botherhing them with wallet apps, transactions, daily rates, and whatnot, can actually scare more merchants away than getting them aboard (with this cool cafe and shop owner as a positive but rare exception).

There are plenty of very easy payment providers through which even the most reluctant, non-tech-savvy merchant can easily accept Bitcoin, free of charge, free of risk, free of hassle.

Don't get me wrong, of course I'm all pro merchants directly accepting (and keeping) bitcoins without any 3rd party middle men or conversion to fiat. But in all honesty, that's not realistic as of yet in most situations.

Yes I understand all this. I've said to them if you find you're collecting too many bitcoins, then I'll set them up with Bitpay so they can convert it straight into pounds.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 11:41:49 AM

Congratz mate, this is what I want to doing for make bitcoin growth in my country. Any tips for make the merchant rely on to accept bitcoin? I'm really sure its so hard to make layman(strange ppl where I just meet once) believe to bitcoin.

~iki
Yorkydude (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:50:22 PM

Congratz mate, this is what I want to doing for make bitcoin growth in my country. Any tips for make the merchant rely on to accept bitcoin? I'm really sure its so hard to make layman(strange ppl where I just meet once) believe to bitcoin.

~iki

Thanks mate. I was lucky because this was a good friend of a friend... and luckily he'd heard of bitcoin and was very open minded to the idea. I think most of us can probably find someone we know that runs a shop or food place. It's best to try to convince them to try bitcoin. If you convince them, then try your best to make it as successful for them as possible. Post online about their business, try to get them more publicity and even contact local media. If it can be a success from at least a publicity point of view and costs them nothing or very little to set up, i think you can then take this experience and a good example of how it went to merchants that you don't know.

That's what I've got in mind anyway. Let's see how it goes.

Good luck. Post on here if you have any success.   
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 01:49:22 PM

It is always great to see more local places start accepting bitcoin so kudus on that. Definitely be sure to make it visible to people that may be searching online and looking for local places to spend their bitcoin.

You may want to check out this video on how to add your location to coinmap.org
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLpe8YDf8P0
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 03:08:11 PM

Yes I understand all this. I've said to them if you find you're collecting too many bitcoins, then I'll set them up with Bitpay so they can convert it straight into pounds.

For a merchant who has started accepting Bitcoin very recently it is much better to set up something like BitPay from the start. Especially regarding taxes.

If you sell something for example for $20, and you register it for $20 in your finances, you won't be happy that at some point the value of the coins you hold drop to $15.

That's why it's very important to get things done right. Other than that, much respect for you!
Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

cheers
I was very surprised at Christmas when I was in Newcastle and found no where in the entire city accepts bitcoin.
Make sure that this cafe is easily google-able for their ability to accept bitcoin, I think they will get quite a bit of trade based on that alone if it is clear online where locals can find them.

Nice work by the way

That's how it is in most places though sadly. It's very difficult to spend your coins anywhere in the real world but hopefully this will change over time especially when people are trying to drive merchant adoption like this which is always a good thing.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 04:40:16 PM

Any tips for make the merchant rely on to accept bitcoin? I'm really sure its so hard to make layman(strange ppl where I just meet once) believe to bitcoin.
I would say, mention the possibility of payment providers, and explain that it's really, literally, 100% free of cost, risk, investment, hassle, or other disadvantages. And safer and cheaper than cash and credit cards.

Basically, there's no single reason for a merchant to NOT accept Bitcoin.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Enfield

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 05:22:44 PM

The money they take in if any at all will be so minute it probably wont matter so they could hold it and keep the little they have as a speculative investment though if bitcoin business picks up a payment processor would be recommended.
Yorkydude (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 05:32:20 PM

Yeah, from this discussion, I've decided I'm going to ask them how much in pounds they would like to have invested in BTC. Once they have that amount I'll suggest we set up Bitpay so they have no risk financially.

Thanks guys Smiley
Yorkydude (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 01:12:39 PM

It is always great to see more local places start accepting bitcoin so kudus on that. Definitely be sure to make it visible to people that may be searching online and looking for local places to spend their bitcoin.

You may want to check out this video on how to add your location to coinmap.org
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLpe8YDf8P0

Just added the cafe. Thanks for the link Smiley
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 01:27:30 PM

Congrat man, that is great work. Keep spreading the word. BTC is here to stay!  Cheesy

Yorkydude (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:34:45 PM

Congrat man, that is great work. Keep spreading the word. BTC is here to stay!  Cheesy

Thanks dude. Think I'll probably hang around this forum more in the future too. Seems quite good.
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:42:40 PM

That's Bitpay for you.

I'm actually working with a company on their SEO strategy, among other things, and have convinced the owner to accept Bitpay. He'll be converting to fiat immediately for the time being, but once he gets more comfortable with if, I imagine hell be more open to holding some of his coins. Actually planning to announce here once all is set up, but Bitpay needs more info for their KYC/AML. Limits of $100/day and $500/ year are a joke, but that'll all go away once he submits the right paperwork.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: