Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 04:38:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuck coinbase!  (Read 1394 times)
CtrlAltBernanke420 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:55:14 PM

I went to pay for a hotel with expedia, and on the page where it saids to send x amount of BTC to x address…. I send the coin from my block chain wallet and then get an email from coin base saying coin base/expedia has a refund for me to claim, but in order to claim the coin I need to basically sign up and agree to the terms of coin base if I want access to my bitcoin… It wasn't a huge deal, but why can not i not just send bitcoin to expedia from any freaking wallet…. It is none of coin bases business to get information on me… If expedia gives me an address to send coin to, and I send the coin, once they receive it that should be good… but it wasn't they wanted to get me to sign up to coinbase before accepting my payment… THIS IS SOOO INCREDIBLY WRONG AND SNOOPY…

Has this happened with anyone else…

And I wouldn't have received my coin from coin base without giving some amout info when signing up to coin base… Coinbase is infuriating me… Great service except for their intrusiveness. Can some one help me make sense of this… In the past all I had to do what send the correct of amount of bitcoin to the given address and boom reservations are made. No extra info needed to be shared…

I think coin base wants everyone to have a single btc address so they can become the next visa and to be able to track every transaction to an individual.
albert11

Activity: 679
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 08:59:13 PM

why a refund? 

████████████████████
           ██████████████████████
          ████                ████
         ████   █████   ████   ████
        ████   ███████ ██████   ████
       ████   ████ ████   ████   ████
      ████   ████   ████   ████   ████
     ████   ████  ██ ████   ████ 
    ████   ████   ██  ████
    ████   ████   ███  ████
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███    ███
     ████   ████   ████ ████ ████
      ████   ████   ████ ██ ████  ████
       ████   ████   ████ ████   ████
        ████   ██████ ██████    ████
         ████   ████   ████    ████
          ████                ████
           ██████████████████████
            ████████████████████
I N D X
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 09:04:03 PM

Relax man, and take an honest look at the whole transaction.

It sounds like Expedia conducts their Bitcoin business through Coinbase. And Expedia likely requires receiving refunds through Coinbase so they can keep their business activities on the "up and up" with US authorities. Sign up with Coinbase, send your refund to your blockchain wallet and at that point Coinbase's involvement is done...you can send your BTC where ever you want from there without the tracking from Coinbase.

Don't get mad at the system without realizing why the system is that way AND thinking about how many options you have to avoid the aspects of the system you don't care for.

Maybe you shouldn't be saying "Fuck Coinbase!" but "Fuck Expedia!" for not having more faith and open ways to conduct business with them.

The bottom line is that large businesses are going to take as much precaution as possible during their early days with Bitcoin until they have the confidence that Bitcoin community won't destroy their business.

nachoig

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 09:26:14 PM

I agree with the OP. There is a reason why we have BIP 70. Coinbase intetionally doesn't use it in some cases.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2wmp0m/we_dont_want_you_using_bitcoin_we_want_you_to_use/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2wnspl/psa_youre_using_coinbase_circle_etc_wrong/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2wzf1o/coinbase_1_bitpay_0/
iliasyaco

Activity: 457
Merit: 274

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 09:32:38 PM

Then they can have all your information. For example when the police say they are paid with stolen bitcoins, they can trace you.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 09:32:45 PM

CtrlAltBernanke420   (I really like your moniker BTW)

If the refund is tiny (which it probably is), no way I would be coerced into joining Coinbase or anyone else like that.  My reasoning is similar to that why I do not use those discount cards at CVS or the grocery store: NONE of their business!

Or using a credit card to buy booze.
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 09:37:59 PM

Then they can have all your information. For example when the police say they are paid with stolen bitcoins, they can trace you.

Haha, don't bribe the police and they won't be able to complain that you paid them with stolen bitcoins.

It's OK for you all to be pissed at Coinbase. Your ongoing frustration is a waste of your time. It's similar to you saying "Fuck fiat currency" and then continuing to use fiat currency when digital, decentralized currency exists.

If you're not willing to do something, some action, your bitching is worthless. There are MANY alternatives to Coinbase...use them. Promote them.

Let's turn this frustration into productive discussion, what alternative to Coinbase provides the same easy of liquidity without the information sharing requirements?

bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 05:10:51 AM

Well it's certainly wrong, you were shopping at Expedia and not Coinbase. If there was a refund from Expedia then it should have been sent to you without any needs to sign up at Coinbase. These are just some clever tactics by certain companies to get people to sign-up at their service. If the amount is not too much and you're worried about giving your credentials to them, just leave it.

And next time clear everything up with the company you're dealing with if they have a payment option with Coinbase.

Nrcewker
Copper Member

Activity: 2184
Merit: 536

Hire Hindi Translator / CM?-> bit.ly/TranslationCM

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 10:27:29 AM

same feeling

I think,
bitpay is batter than coinbase on payments
bitstamp is better than coinbase on exchanges

I will try to coinbase just because he is a rich uncle Sam

Gebbit

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 11:16:55 AM

I understand OP. He should have been adequately notified. Unfortunately, sometimes things like this are unintentional.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: