Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:55:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What the heck is this? Locolbiticenis?  (Read 708 times)
Bizmark13 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 01:09:56 AM

I was searching on Google a few minutes ago while doing some research on the current situation of Bitcoin in China and found an ad at the top of the page for LocalBitcoins or perhaps some sort of clone of it. Except instead of Localbitcoins.com, the URL was Locolbiticenis.com.

Upon entering the site, it looks exactly the same as LocalBitcoins. Even the title, layout, etc. looks identical.

So does anyone know what this is? Is it someone promoting their referral link? Is it a phishing site? Is it some sort of local/regional variant of LocalBitcoins? The name does sound vaguely Spanish.

Very strange.

Screenshot:

"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
L

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 01:24:36 AM

It's a phishing website.
Bizmark13 (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 01:34:40 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2015, 02:42:28 AM by Bizmark13

It's a phishing website.

Hmm... Could be possible.

It does seem like a very strange choice of name for a phishing website though. Locolbiticenis looks and sounds nothing like Localbitcoins. Usually the goal of a phishing website is to confuse the visitor into thinking that they're on the actual website. A name like Localbitcoin or Locolbitcoins or even Localbltcoins would have been a far better choice.

EDIT: And if it is a phishing website then why is Google advertising it? Do they not check to see what sites are being advertised before they publish their ads?

EDIT 2: Well now Firefox is bringing up a "Reported Web Forgery!" message. Not sure what exactly happened since then and now but I guess that settles it then.
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 02:46:02 AM

Of-course the Ad is a phishing site. But just below that you can see the original site. Also, if you report the advertisement to google they will remove it or put up a warning on it, so when users visit it they get a warning pop-up.

Report it here: https://www.google.com/safebrowsing/report_phish/
& here          : https://support.google.com/adsense/contact/violation_report

Be as informative as you can. I reported it.

I just searched the same keywords but I don't see that phishing site, so maybe it was already removed:

Bizmark13 (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 03:06:39 AM

Of-course the Ad is a phishing site. But just below that you can see the original site. Also, if you report the advertisement to google they will remove it or put up a warning on it, so when users visit it they get a warning pop-up.

Report it here: https://www.google.com/safebrowsing/report_phish/
& here          : https://support.google.com/adsense/contact/violation_report

Be as informative as you can. I reported it.

I just searched the same keywords but I don't see that phishing site, so maybe it was already removed:

Yeah, I think it was removed about 30 minutes ago. It doesn't seem to show up in my search results now. Firefox also started displaying a warning message which wasn't there before too. It's weird how all of this happened just an hour after I discovered it. Perhaps someone down over at Google or Mozilla headquarters is reading this thread right now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: