Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:41:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is buying expensive bitcoins?  (Read 6114 times)
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 08:49:10 PM

Hope intersango dies with bitcoinica, withdrawl your bitcoins now they can't be trusted

lowest ask there now is 8.45GBP which is $13.35 and people are still picking up coins at that price

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phantomcircuit

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 09:55:55 PM

This thread is kind of amusing.

I'll give you a clue.

Today the deposit issue with metro bank got solved.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 11:56:23 PM

Why someone need to buy in big chunks and influencing the price up in quick moves
instead be patient and buy in small chunks cheapper but longer in time?

Maybe what seem like big chunks to you, are actually small chunks to them.

Imagine some libertarian-leaning billionaire like Peter Thiel or Kyle Bass decides he likes Bitcoin, and wants to diversify into it to the tune of 10 million.  He knows he can't move in all at once, but instead orders his investment advisor to buy, say 10000 coins every  week, first by patiently waiting on the bid side or, if no one is biting that week, snap up enough asks to move price by no more than 10%.  Such a buying program would lend strong support, could take many weeks to play out, and could account for big "impatient" buying to the extent that the buyer has a weekly quota to fill.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 12:37:12 AM

This thread is kind of amusing.

I'll give you a clue.

Today the deposit issue with metro bank got solved.

Patrick, so Metro Bank is some sort of major bank that will facilitate fund movement in and out of Intersango?  I'm neutral and unaffected by any of the Bitcoinica issues.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 12:43:28 AM

Why someone need to buy in big chunks and influencing the price up in quick moves

Maybe someone stopped selling in big chunks and buyers are starting getting impatient and start competing with each other to get their daily fix. How's this for a theory?

-
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 12:47:52 AM

The only way to exit intersango is withdrawing bitcoins which explains the high demand to buy them and withdraw seemingly at any price. Panic is one thing that overrides rationality.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 01:09:28 AM

For the most part, I've never heard anything too negative about how Intersango functions as an exchange.  In fact, I think many ppl moved their accts over there last year when Gox was having its troubles.

If I were Patrick, Donald, or Amir I would do everything in my power to maintain the integrity and profitability of Intersango to help them payoff their pending legal fees.  If Bitcoin continues to increase in value like it has, Intersango could become a huge cash cow as it was one of the leaders.

What they should probably do is consider bringing in respected members of the community who can also infuse capital into Intersango to stabilize and legitimize the situation to tie them over this mess with Bitcoinica.  I think they provide a valuable service for the community.
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 04:25:53 AM

Maybe someone stopped selling in big chunks and buyers are starting getting impatient and start competing with each other to get their daily fix. How's this for a theory?

At risk of spamming my 9 June 2012 post I will direct you there.

FYI, had lunch with three friends today and called another on the phone. Chatted with all of them about bitcoins, again. We had talked about it several times before and a few have made some token moves into it. All of them, theoretically, like it tremendously. All are successful self-made entrepreneurial multi-millionaires.

Reminded them about the 20k bitcoins I offered them at $5/apiece about 90 days ago but some declined. At the table when the check came I got out my trusty bitcoin app and calculated how much 20k bitcoins are worth at the current market prices.

The real fun though is brainstorming how we are going to throw a bunch of creative entrepreneurial energy and resources behind various bitcoin related strategies.

They picked up the tab for lunch.  Shocked

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 04:52:04 AM

FYI, had lunch with three friends today and called another on the phone. Chatted with all of them about bitcoins, again. We had talked about it several times before and a few have made some token moves into it. All of them, theoretically, like it tremendously. All are successful self-made entrepreneurial multi-millionaires.

Reminded them about the 20k bitcoins I offered them at $5/apiece about 90 days ago but some declined. At the table when the check came I got out my trusty bitcoin app and calculated how much 20k bitcoins are worth at the current market prices.

The real fun though is brainstorming how we are going to throw a bunch of creative entrepreneurial energy and resources behind various bitcoin related strategies.

They picked up the tab for lunch.  Shocked

at the risk of spamming you, i keep asking you about your current stance on gold.  the reason i ask is that you were one of the reasons i got into gold/silver back btwn 2005-8.  since then, i sold all my silver and most of my gold last year as most here know in favor of Bitcoin.  am interested in what you think...

edit: perhaps you can't answer for conflict of interest reasons.  feel free to say so.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 04:59:20 AM

Hope intersango dies with bitcoinica, withdrawl your bitcoins now they can't be trusted

lowest ask there now is 8.45GBP which is $13.35 and people are still picking up coins at that price

Uhh i see them for 7.37 GBP not 8.45.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

majamalu
Legendary

Activity: 1652

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 05:08:24 AM

They picked up the tab for lunch.  Shocked

at the risk of spamming you, i keep asking you about your current stance on gold.  the reason i ask is that you were one of the reasons i got into gold/silver back btwn 2005-8.  since then, i sold all my silver and most of my gold last year as most here know in favor of Bitcoin.  am interested in what you think...

edit: perhaps you can't answer for conflict of interest reasons.  feel free to say so.

I'm subscribing just to read the answer - if it comes.

http://elbitcoin.org - Bitcoin en español
http://mercadobitcoin.com - MercadoBitcoin
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 05:19:01 AM

not sure who buys.. My personal belief is that bitcoin is worth about 6.5$ right now. So I'm selling off a few on the hike up, but keeping the majority in savings (and spending a handful)

ZOMG Moo!
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 05:52:05 AM

not sure who buys.. My personal belief is that bitcoin is worth about 6.5$ right now. So I'm selling off a few on the hike up, but keeping the majority in savings (and spending a handful)
My personal belief is that bitcoins are worth about $10 each right now.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 06:05:12 AM

If my calculations are correct then Pirate needs to buy at least 3k BTC per day.
That's about 5% of the trade volume on Mt. Gox.

Actually Pirate does not need to buy anything to pay interest to his lenders, he can just use the funds of new loans coming in, at least till the influx of new funds declines significantly, like a market saturation would cause. Dont know if we are there yet.

That sounds an awful lot like a ponzi scheme - using an increasing amount of new users to make payments to existing users.

Yes, yes it does.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
kentrolla

Activity: 1554
Merit: 565

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 06:29:38 AM

my personal belief is that bitcoins are worth about $11.15 right now

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 06:35:16 AM

it can change in seconds  ,they were that price when i posted it and soon after started dropping
im sure there is some chart somewhere that will confirm intersango prices last night
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 06:41:12 AM

my personal belief is that bitcoins are worth about $11.15 right now

What a coincidence, me too. Else I would sell (or buy) them until the ones I had left were that precious to me.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 06:42:09 AM

it can change in seconds  ,they were that price when i posted it and soon after started dropping
im sure there is some chart somewhere that will confirm intersango prices last night

Confirmed, IntersangoGBP high of 9.00 according to bitcoinwatch.com.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 06:53:52 AM

For the most part, I've never heard anything too negative about how Intersango functions as an exchange.  In fact, I think many ppl moved their accts over there last year when Gox was having its troubles.

If I were Patrick, Donald, or Amir I would do everything in my power to maintain the integrity and profitability of Intersango to help them payoff their pending legal fees.  If Bitcoin continues to increase in value like it has, Intersango could become a huge cash cow as it was one of the leaders.

What they should probably do is consider bringing in respected members of the community who can also infuse capital into Intersango to stabilize and legitimize the situation to tie them over this mess with Bitcoinica.  I think they provide a valuable service for the community.

If you were them would you have gotten involved with Bitcoinica? If you did would you do a damn thing about fixing it? I think you have better judgement than them.

The way to have integrity and make a cash cow is not to overextend and get involved with projects you can't handle.

I never used them since I asked them a question and got the lawyer brush off six months ago, but if people are paying 15%+ to get funds off of a site immediately that's telling.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: