Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 01:23:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there still market for video cards?  (Read 836 times)
tangrisser (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 01:06:55 AM

So I've been floating around the forum and everyone says:
Wait for ASIC because it will outperform both video card and FPGA.

Is there still a market for video card for mining or just regular use?

Ideally I would like to open up a hardware e-tailer catering to miners and users that wants to pay their hardware in BTC.
sinner

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 04:15:50 AM

does anybody sell ASIC rigs besides Butterfly Labs?

i'm going to preorder a single SC but that wont arrive till October at the earliest.  i want to start mining now.  should i get some 5830s or something else?  wheres best place to get a new one? amazon?  i know nothing about FPGA rigs.
tangrisser (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 06:22:58 AM

does anybody sell ASIC rigs besides Butterfly Labs?

I think BFL is the only place that even claims to have any sort of production of ASIC.

i'm going to preorder a single SC but that wont arrive till October at the earliest.  i want to start mining now.  should i get some 5830s or something else?  wheres best place to get a new one? amazon?  i know nothing about FPGA rigs.

FPGA would be something like BFL Singles or ZTEX products. I don't have enough knowledge about these to really say much about them. If you want to mine using video card, you might want to consider looking at Radeon 68xx/69xx/79xx/78xx series. You also might want to check out the Mining section of the forum.
tangrisser (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 05:40:07 PM

So judging by lack of response. Is it safe to assume that there is no market for PC hardware selling with Bitcoin?

That's disappointing because I feel that for Bitcoin to take off, it needs places that are willing to directly use BitCoin as currency for physical tangible good without having to use a middleman of converting Bitcoin into Amazon gift card or having someone else buy it for you.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:09:40 PM

So judging by lack of response. Is it safe to assume that there is no market for PC hardware selling with Bitcoin?

That's disappointing because I feel that for Bitcoin to take off, it needs places that are willing to directly use BitCoin as currency for physical tangible good without having to use a middleman of converting Bitcoin into Amazon gift card or having someone else buy it for you.

If you want to get good info out of people, ask more precise questions. Your title and OP focus on the question of whether there is still a market for mining with video cards. But it looks like your real question is whether there would be a market for computer hardware in general, for whatever purpose, paid for in BTC. If that is really what you want to know about, then focus on that - the extent to which there is a market for video cards used for mining seems peripheral, unless the only hardware you are interested in selling would be video cards.
BFL-Scrypt

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 10:44:25 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2012, 11:00:15 PM by BFL-Scrypt

There is still a market for video cards, especially if you have low electricity cost.  If not, you're better off running FPGA boards or just wait for the ASICs Smiley
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 10:57:17 PM

One of my friends over in the states lives somewhere that he's still getting $0.051/kWH electricity - I think hydroelectric...

He's been picking up old 5xxx radeon cards from ebay per month - I think he's over 10GH/s now.
So yes, there's still a market for video cards, I'd say more than there is a market for dedicated mining FPGAs.
tangrisser (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 09:37:04 PM

If you want to get good info out of people, ask more precise questions. Your title and OP focus on the question of whether there is still a market for mining with video cards. But it looks like your real question is whether there would be a market for computer hardware in general, for whatever purpose, paid for in BTC. If that is really what you want to know about, then focus on that - the extent to which there is a market for video cards used for mining seems peripheral, unless the only hardware you are interested in selling would be video cards.

I suppose my question in the post and post title have different question but yes ideally I would have liked to focus on what miners use the most and have the highest demand for.

I'm pretty serious now that I have some decent information. I look forward to putting up a basic site together at first and then work my way around building a full online shopping site.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: