Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:30:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: High Resolution, Dual-Difficulty Blockchain  (Read 2455 times)
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 05:10:58 AM

I also don't buy the suggestion that quick confirmations aren't necessary in Bitcoin. Your proposal is very interesting, but there are lots of tradeoffs involved, including trusting an established payment processor, and putting funds in escrow. These are serious considerations, and if there's a way to do this using the elegance of the blockchain idea, while retaining low trust requirements and no escrow, I think that would be a big win.
I don't know how much you've followed the suggestion but it does not require you to trust the processor. The funds tied up on the channel are not at the mercy of the processor, the customer gets them back even if the processor is malicious or negligent. The amount that is trusted with the processor is the amount of a single payment by a single customer - or even less, if the customer splits the payment to multiple pieces and receives confirmation from the seller on every one (since payments are direct this isn't expensive).

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
ben-abuya (OP)

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 05:47:26 AM

I also don't buy the suggestion that quick confirmations aren't necessary in Bitcoin. Your proposal is very interesting, but there are lots of tradeoffs involved, including trusting an established payment processor, and putting funds in escrow. These are serious considerations, and if there's a way to do this using the elegance of the blockchain idea, while retaining low trust requirements and no escrow, I think that would be a big win.
I don't know how much you've followed the suggestion but it does not require you to trust the processor. The funds tied up on the channel are not at the mercy of the processor, the customer gets them back even if the processor is malicious or negligent. The amount that is trusted with the processor is the amount of a single payment by a single customer - or even less, if the customer splits the payment to multiple pieces and receives confirmation from the seller on every one (since payments are direct this isn't expensive).

I was just pointing out that there are tradeoffs to each system. I didn't say you had to trust the processor for the entire escrow, I said you had to trust the processor, and you do, for the amount of a single transaction. That's still trust. If you didn't need to trust the processor, you wouldn't need the processor at all, the recipient could just be the processor.

http://lamassubtc.com/
Lamassu Bitcoin Ventures
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 05:57:04 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2012, 08:42:57 AM by Meni Rosenfeld

I was just pointing out that there are tradeoffs to each system. I didn't say you had to trust the processor for the entire escrow, I said you had to trust the processor, and you do, for the amount of a single transaction. That's still trust. If you didn't need to trust the processor, you wouldn't need the processor at all, the recipient could just be the processor.
You're trusting the recipient anyway to deliver the goods. You don't use the processor because you trust him, you use him because he allows you to send payments everywhere with a single channel, without knowing in advance who you're going to pay.

EDIT:

Since my main motivation is time resolution, it doesn't matter if the minor blocks are a priori authoritative, only that they reliably fix the ordering of transactions in time once the major block is broadcast. Even so, I find talk about Finney attacks and 51% attacks a bit distracting. Finney attacks are almost impossible to reliably pull off, and 51% attacks are common to every Bitcoin modification I've heard of. The real issue is race attacks, which are certainly feasible. Minor blocks would make race attacks a lot more expensive than they currently are because you'd have to put in the effort to solve minor blocks (assuming the merchant is willing to wait an average of 10 seconds). That's means they can't be used to get a free cup of coffee at a cafe. If you're buying  a car, the dealer can wait for a few major blocks. On the other hand, it would be great if you didn't have to hang around the dealership for half an hour waiting for the payment to clear.
I don't see how it really helps security against race attacks. With the current system you can query each of your peers if they know of a conflicting transaction. In none do you can be pretty sure the network recognizes the transaction.

Also, proof of stake proposals strive to make the network immune to >50% hashrate attacks. I've had a discussion about PoS lately and I think I have a new framework to think about it, your suggestion could fit in as well.

There are advantages to the hybrid minor/major block approach (high time resolution, faster confirmations, while retaining the longer term safety of the major blocks), but I'm not at all convinced a Bitcoin fork with a 10 second interval couldn't work better. Maybe I'm missing something but the wasted hash power (assuming 7% orphan blocks) and header overhead don't seem like a huge deal to me.
Header overhead is a pretty big deal. Most people won't run full nodes, and hopefully they'll choose the more secure lightweight clients over eWallets. The resource cost of this is proportional to the number of headers.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
ben-abuya (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 06:11:04 PM

You're trusting the recipient anyway to deliver the goods. You don't use the processor because you trust him, you use him because he allows you to send payments everywhere with a single channel, without knowing in advance who you're going to pay.

Without wandering too far off topic, I'm not disputing that this is a very cool idea, or that the trust in the processor is a minor issue compared to trusting someone with the whole escrow. I just wanted to point out that there are drawbacks to each solution which have to be considered, and there's no obvious best solution which trumps the others being discussed.

...The real issue is race attacks, which are certainly feasible. Minor blocks would make race attacks a lot more expensive than they currently are because you'd have to put in the effort to solve minor blocks (assuming the merchant is willing to wait an average of 10 seconds).
I don't see how it really helps security against race attacks. With the current system you can query each of your peers if they know of a conflicting transaction. In none do you can be pretty sure the network recognizes the transaction.

There's a big assumption there that you're well connected to peers, that those peers are well connected to miners, and that there's no sybil attack. Being properly connected is an extra precaution that has to be managed carefully by vendors, as opposed to being baked into the system. If you wait for a few minor blocks, at least you know for sure that the attacker had to pay for a considerable amount of hashing power. I feel that's a big win.

Also, proof of stake proposals strive to make the network immune to >50% hashrate attacks. I've had a discussion about PoS lately and I think I have a new framework to think about it, your suggestion could fit in as well.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, is there somewhere I could read about this?

There are advantages to the hybrid minor/major block approach (high time resolution, faster confirmations, while retaining the longer term safety of the major blocks), but I'm not at all convinced a Bitcoin fork with a 10 second interval couldn't work better. Maybe I'm missing something but the wasted hash power (assuming 7% orphan blocks) and header overhead don't seem like a huge deal to me.
Header overhead is a pretty big deal. Most people won't run full nodes, and hopefully they'll choose the more secure lightweight clients over eWallets. The resource cost of this is proportional to the number of headers.

That's a very good point. This merits a lot more discussion, but off the top of my head I don't see why the minor/major block paradigm couldn't be used here so that lightweight clients would only be looking at major blocks, at least for historical transactions. In fact, since old transactions have such a massive amount of buried hashing power protecting them, one could consider a scheme that would decrease the number of blocks needed per time interval as you go back in time, potentially making that header chain even smaller.

Lamassu Bitcoin Ventures
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 06:23:03 PM

Without wandering too far off topic, I'm not disputing that this is a very cool idea, or that the trust in the processor is a minor issue compared to trusting someone with the whole escrow. I just wanted to point out that there are drawbacks to each solution which have to be considered, and there's no obvious best solution which trumps the others being discussed.
Never said otherwise.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, is there somewhere I could read about this?
You can start with https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_Stake but there are some new ideas I still need to write about.

That's a very good point. This merits a lot more discussion, but off the top of my head I don't see why the minor/major block paradigm couldn't be used here so that lightweight clients would only be looking at major blocks, at least for historical transactions. In fact, since old transactions have such a massive amount of buried hashing power protecting them, one could consider a scheme that would decrease the number of blocks needed per time interval as you go back in time, potentially making that header chain even smaller.
I guess it will be easier to estimate the exact cost with a more specific design.

ben-abuya (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 06:03:21 PM

You can start with https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_Stake but there are some new ideas I still need to write about.

Thanks, very interesting!

Lamassu Bitcoin Ventures
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: