Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:08:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Guard your Bitcoin with Stainless Steel Cold Storage  (Read 4549 times)
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 07:10:54 PM

I recommend to diversify types of Bitcoin storage. There is no single solution working all-in-one.

- You can printout a bulk of paperwallets and for a safety reasons keep your Bip38_password within Cryptosteel.
- You can have several copies of paperwallets in different locations, but one StainlessSteel
- It is not clear if Cryptosteel can store a Master Seed - we are exploring this right now.
- You can use a Cryptosteel as a master book of passwords
- You can store any type of sentence you desire even a poem (additional letter-cards will be also available separately)

You can burry cryptosteel, keep it in strong box or safe, but also you can build it into a wall.
If it will save even one person life time savings, I would say, I reach my initial goal.
Keep in mind numbers of lost crypto-coins.

Here is the official thread -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=977486 <-

Why does cryptosteel have "true random numbers" while paper wallets don't? You can use the same process on both, right?

It is "no-sense" the process to generate an address is *almost* the same, he cannot say "true random numbers" because also the other options have a real generation of numbers. The unique merit of a stainless steel cold storage is "fire, acid and water resistant".
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 07:31:28 PM

I recommend to diversify types of Bitcoin storage. There is no single solution working all-in-one.

- You can printout a bulk of paperwallets and for a safety reasons keep your Bip38_password within Cryptosteel.
- You can have several copies of paperwallets in different locations, but one StainlessSteel
- It is not clear if Cryptosteel can store a Master Seed - we are exploring this right now.
- You can use a Cryptosteel as a master book of passwords
- You can store any type of sentence you desire even a poem (additional letter-cards will be also available separately)

You can burry cryptosteel, keep it in strong box or safe, but also you can build it into a wall.
If it will save even one person life time savings, I would say, I reach my initial goal.
Keep in mind numbers of lost crypto-coins.

Here is the official thread -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=977486 <-

Why does cryptosteel have "true random numbers" while paper wallets don't? You can use the same process on both, right?

It is "no-sense" the process to generate an address is *almost* the same, he cannot say "true random numbers" because also the other options have a real generation of numbers. The unique merit of a stainless steel cold storage is "fire, acid and water resistant".

So its just false advertisement?

They look cool and I am thinking of getting one after the price is released but if its close to another trezor, I would rather take an additional of those.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 07:43:21 PM

Seems pretty cool. But it shouldn't be so small or expensive and they should use gold instead of steel.
Gold melts at 1,064°C. Stainless melts at about 1,450°C.
Hfleer

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 07:47:10 PM

Seems pretty cool. But it shouldn't be so small or expensive and they should use gold instead of steel.

I think calme was referring to the store of wealth aspect. Physical bitcoin storage made out of gold is pretty highly demanded in the community.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 08:03:06 PM

They can also use an alloy of metals(if they don't already use one). One like "chromium-cobalt" with a melting point of ~ 14500 °c , the cost will be the same (maybe a little high).
cryptosteel

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

peace of mind for your private keys and passwords

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2015, 08:13:24 PM

@Hfleer,
True Random Numbers: Yes, you can, just mix-up all provided letters in a hat (over 216 bricks will be enough even to build a Master Seed) - and pick it up. You can make true random lottery.

@calme, @StevenS
My advice is to not flaunting with Cryptosteel. But choice is yours. Gold one, Platinium? No problem - I can do it, you have my word.  I have over 15 years of experience in metalworks - form goldsmithing to blacksmithing. 

Follow us:
http://get.cryptosteel.com, http://twitter.com/cryptosteel, http://fb.com/cryptosteel

•everlasting•fire-proof•private•open hardware•
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 08:49:19 PM

Okay but how can you go through an airport scanner with this thing in your pocket during your holiday vacation is the big question Cool
buysolar

Activity: 125
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 04:08:16 AM

Okay but how can you go through an airport scanner with this thing in your pocket during your holiday vacation is the big question Cool

Yep I was wondering the same thing. Tough to stop those guys from going through your stuff, and snapping a picture of the code to rob you when they get home.
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 06:00:01 AM

It suppose to be a cold storage, you should  not go around the city (for example) with that piece of steel in your pocket.  Indeed I think this type of cold storage should be used to store bitcoin for a "long time" and in a safe place.
litecamel

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 11:04:45 AM

These look amazing! Love the design. Would love to own one someday.  Cheesy
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 12:21:39 PM

I don't understand how these types of things are safe when the person who makes them has access to your private keys.

No they don't. Only you have access to your private key, you are the one who assembles the letters in order, not the manufacturer.
Hfleer

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 01:39:48 AM

I don't understand how these types of things are safe when the person who makes them has access to your private keys.

No they don't. Only you have access to your private key, you are the one who assembles the letters in order, not the manufacturer.

One question with that. BTC addresses have checksums. Don't private keys too? How do you do that manually than?

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
itod
Legendary

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 03:24:14 PM

One question with that. BTC addresses have checksums. Don't private keys too? How do you do that manually than?

You have a seven step guide here, it's easy:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Wallet_import_format

There are also several offline utilities to do it securely, but you should not choose your private key arbitrarily in the first place. You wallet can export the private key in WIF format doing all that work for you.
calme

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 03:50:00 PM

I think calme was referring to the store of wealth aspect. Physical bitcoin storage made out of gold is pretty highly demanded in the community.
Just playin' around. A lot of ppl take pride in saying what they mean and meaning what they say. If that's what they're into then right on.  Grin
Hfleer

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 04:51:04 PM

You have a seven step guide here, it's easy:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Wallet_import_format

There are also several offline utilities to do it securely, but you should not choose your private key arbitrarily in the first place. You wallet can export the private key in WIF format doing all that work for you.

Ok that is good. Because in the description it sounded like you shuffle those pins around in a sack and then just pick one after another and put it in. That can't work...

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Hfleer

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 04:53:49 PM

Just playin' around. A lot of ppl take pride in saying what they mean and meaning what they say. If that's what they're into then right on.  Grin

Wink

I also agree with your point on adding a gold version. I would love something like that. Functional gold.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 07:51:00 PM

all those fancy thing are only good to makes you lose money, i prefer to store them in my desktop sincerly..

they could brute force those arrangement?
abyrnes81

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 08:01:56 PM

I prefer a paper wallet instead a 'Stainless Steel Cold Storage' Roll Eyes but this is only my useless opinion. However can you determine and tell us exactly how much it will cost (in dollars)? Will you ship worldwide?
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 08:45:19 PM

Only noticed this now, and I see it hasn't been posted here, these guys have a new video Smiley https://vimeo.com/122551397
itod
Legendary

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 10:48:14 PM

all those fancy thing are only good to makes you lose money, i prefer to store them in my desktop sincerly..

they could brute force those arrangement?

There's nothing to brute force, they never get to know your key. Look at it this way: they sell you a pencil (made of steel) with witch you write down your key. What is written down doesn't know anyone but you, and it is not literally a pencil but a set of numbers and letters to arrange them as you want.

It's amazing how people misunderstand what is this all about, they are obviously not doing a good job explaining their product.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: