Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:56:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 21Inc $110m+ BTC Price Index over next 2 weeks ~$400?  (Read 2806 times)
Addition (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 06:36:34 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2015, 02:13:50 AM by Addition

Have anyone looked into this group? According to some vague articles they have raise significant VC funding and "plan" to  make a series of announcements/applications to promote BTC mass adoption??

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/03/10/secretive-bitcoin-startup-21-reveals-record-funds-hints-at-mass-consumer-play/

http://www.ibtimes.com/21-inc-secret-bitcoin-startup-raises-116m-latest-funding-round-1842374

Edit: According to metrics on Crunchbase, they are targeted towards chip design specifically for BTC hashing (Note their association with Qualcomm)

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/21e6

So for us, everyday BTC traders should we prepare for this? It wouldn't surprise me if we naturally moved to $300 range - But if this drives a more significant uptick should we be prepared for an Index closer to $380-$420 over next few weeks/month - just to be cautious?

EDIT: Here's the website for the stealthy group: https://21.co/
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 07:47:39 PM

Rumor: Putting Bitcoin ASICs in every device.  Bitcoin Mining in the Internet of Things.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 07:49:58 PM

Rumor: Putting Bitcoin ASICs in every device.  Bitcoin Mining in the Internet of Things.

Don't you need a fleet of warehouses and your own power plant to stand a chance of competing? Sounds like a fun gesture but not much else unless it's more of a node type of thing.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 07:56:06 PM

Rumor: Putting Bitcoin ASICs in every device.  Bitcoin Mining in the Internet of Things.

Don't you need a fleet of warehouses and your own power plant to stand a chance of competing? Sounds like a fun gesture but not much else unless it's more of a node type of thing.

Why have a warehouse when other people can mine for you with their own electricity?  If a custom LCD monitor has one ASIC chip, and there are 1,000,000 that own that monitor it would be hashing on 'free electricity'.  You could split the profits or give the user an ad free experience.
Addition (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 02:57:45 AM

Rumor: Putting Bitcoin ASICs in every device.  Bitcoin Mining in the Internet of Things.

Why have a warehouse when other people can mine for you with their own electricity?  If a custom LCD monitor has one ASIC chip, and there are 1,000,000 that own that monitor it would be hashing on 'free electricity'.  You could split the profits or give the user an ad free experience.

It's an interesting assumption! Pooled mining to another level : )

10,000 asic devices vs 1?

Recently utorrent tried the same premise (albeit without ASIC)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 03:02:01 AM

lol, good one
Addition (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:04:05 AM

lol, good one

That's what I thought first  Grin

But maybe a possibility in 10-15Yrs time?

I think these "announcements" from 21inc will be more related to useful applications that utilize BTC in the background and partnered affiliations to increase consumer adoption.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 03:06:36 AM

lol, good one

That's what I thought first  Grin

The economics of scale won't change in 15 years nor like... ever.
Addition (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:12:01 AM

lol, good one

I agree, but open to see the evolution of BTC mining. Right now it looks like there will be more "mega mines" and VC/Angel money put into these large facilities.

So back on point, do you think the price index is likely to reach $400 within next 30 days? It'll have to be an innovative application/marketing hype!!

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 03:30:12 AM

We've seen intermittent viability of small scale mining at the start of every change of the underlying technology. At the beginning of GPU, FPGA, and ASIC mining it was feasible to run a single machine at home for a while. And I'm very skeptical about the prospect of beating existing ASICs with a newer, better designed one by that order of magnitude. Even when 100mil are behind it.
So they are after buzz, I get it. Perhaps it'll drive the price up, perhaps it gets ignored... The thing is they are being intentionally obscure and I don't trust that.
desertfox470

Activity: 542
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:32:03 AM

lol, good one

I agree, but open to see the evolution of BTC mining. Right now it looks like there will be more "mega mines" and VC/Angel money put into these large facilities.

So back on point, do you think the price index is likely to reach $400 within next 30 days? It'll have to be an innovative application/marketing hype!!

I do not think the price will rise to $400 in the next 30 days. I think there may be a small increase in the price. The price broke $300 for a short time today, but $100 increase is a lot to be asking now.
Addition (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:45:51 AM

We've seen intermittent viability of small scale mining at the start of every change of the underlying technology. At the beginning of GPU, FPGA, and ASIC mining it was feasible to run a single machine at home for a while. And I'm very skeptical about the prospect of beating existing ASICs with a newer, better designed one by that order of magnitude. Even when 100mil are behind it.
So they are after buzz, I get it. Perhaps it'll drive the price up, perhaps it gets ignored... The thing is they are being intentionally obscure and I don't trust that.

I'm with you on this one - pending any further project news from this 21Inc group, have not seen anything interesting thus far..
kusumadewi

Activity: 826
Merit: 517

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:49:01 AM

lol, good one

I do not think the price will rise to $400 in the next 30 days. I think there may be a small increase in the price. The price broke $300 for a short time today, but $100 increase is a lot to be asking now.

but i hope it will be happen in the next 2 week Cheesy
Addition (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:56:54 AM

lol, good one

Agreed, a $100 increase would correlate with significant increase in demand within this time frame. It's possible, but would real need to be a very impressive suite of applications from this 21Inc group.

Interestingly, the last 2 times we breached $300, the price index rapidly dropped - I'm hoping we will progress/sustain above the $320 range this time, guess we'll have to wait and see.

I retail BTC everyday, so will keep buying back at current market. Worst thing for brokers like me, is to sell a lot then have to buy back at higher rate  Tongue
Addition (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 04:01:38 AM

lol, good one

but i hope it will be happen in the next 2 week Cheesy

Haha, that's the spirit! Stranger things have happened bro. Guess if you are % trading frequently, just be sure you can liquidate your funds quickly (BTC:FIAT:>BTC) as we are in a slow uptrend. Perhaps this 21Inc will come good and blow us all away  Cool
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 04:55:09 AM

Thinking about it, some more, meh.
Given 100mil of funding and they don't have a very expensive looking web presence on a .com
Addition (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:36:26 AM

Thinking about it, some more, meh.
Given 100mil of funding and they don't have a very expensive looking web presence on a .com

Yeah bro, I looked them up to, but I'm not sure it is them? http://www.21inc.ca/index.php/en/  (these guys look like a Canadian-based network group)   Have i got the right website?
Mieehayii

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:38:21 AM

I think the price will not rise for that, but down

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀███▀████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▀▄█████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▄█▄▀████

███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀█████
███          ▀███   ████████   ██    ▀█████████   ██           ▀████   █████
███   █████▄   ██   ████████   ██      ▀███████   ██   ██████▄   ███   █████
███   ██████   ██   ████████   ██   █▄   ▀█████   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███   █████▀   ██   ████████   ██   ███▄   ▀███   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███          ▄███   ▀██████▀   ██   █████▄   ▀█   ██   ███████▀   ██   █████
███   ▄▄▄▄▄███████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ███   ███████▄      ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄███   █████
███   █████████████▄        ▄████   █████████▄    ██        ▄▄▄█████   █████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
.Any Store Can Buy, Sell and Accept Cryptocurrency.██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
[[[ Whitepaper    Twitter     Facebook]]]
[[[  Telegram      Medium     Youtube ]]]
Addition (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 10:36:53 PM

Here's the actual website for 21Inc that has been on the news this week:

https://21.co/

Interestingly they have an active jobs page, from which we can infer a little about their plans??

https://21.co/#jobs
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 04:49:38 AM

Here's the actual website for 21Inc that has been on the news this week:

https://21.co/

Interestingly they have an active jobs page, from which we can infer a little about their plans??

https://21.co/#jobs

The company will probably be a big deal. For one, the investor list is top notch. Additionally, @balajis is a cofounder and c-level exec. For those who don't know him, he was a partner at Andreessen Horowitz (is leaving now that 21.co is coming out of stealth), successful entrepreneur before that, and he also "...obtained BS, MS and PhD degrees in Electrical Engineering and an MS in Chemical Engineering, all from Stanford" (source: http://blog.pmarca.com/2013/12/09/balaji-srinivasan/ ), so he's got the technical chops for this.

He's given a number of interviews over the last couple years, and talks a lot about bitcoin on twitter. One topic I've heard him bring up more than once is the idea of bitcoin enabling machine to machine payments (ie, the gazillion theoretical car-autopays-the-meter use-cases). So I think there's a decent chance 21 is working on an embeddable-in-anything low-power bitcoin-wallet-on-a-chip.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: