Bitcoin Forum
June 13, 2024, 09:10:01 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Three Unnamed Bidders Win Latest US Marshals Bitcoin Auction  (Read 1695 times)
Guido (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 08:16:49 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/three-unnamed-bidders-win-latest-us-marshals-bitcoin-auction/

The US Marshals Service (USMS) has revealed that three bidders each took home a portion of the 50,000 BTC sold during its most recent bitcoin auction held 5th March.

The winnings were divided among the unnamed individuals, with the leading bidder claiming 27,000 BTC ($7.9m at press time). The remainder of the bitcoin was split among two individuals who took winnings of 20,000 BTC ($5.9m) and 3,000 BTC ($885,801), respectively.

A spokesperson for the USMS confirmed the totals via email, adding that the transfer of proceeds to the winners has now been finalized.

While no winning bidders have yet come forward, the trading desk at SecondMarket, the entrant that claimed the highest share of the 50,000 BTC sold in December’s auction, has publicly revealed it did not enter a winning bid.

Other known participants, including hedge fund Pantera Capital and investment management company Binary Financial, have yet to comment on the news publicly.

A final auction of the roughly 44,000 remaining bitcoins in possession by the government agency is expected to be held later this year.

working it out seems average of $290 - $300 per bitcoin

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 08:30:48 PM

- snip -

Correct.

At the time that the article was written, the market exchange rate was between $290 and $300 per bitcoin:

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitfinexUSD#rg1ztgSzm1g10zm2g25

However, that doesn't tell us ANYTHING about what the winning bids were.

That article isn't saying that they paid $7.9m, $5.9m, and $885,801 respectively.  It is only saying that the bitcoins that they "won" at the auction were worth that amount as calculated with the current market rate.
Guido (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 08:34:19 PM

yes, you're right, it doesn't actually tell us anything thinking about it

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 08:37:09 PM

We can't know the price of the bid unless they publicly say it
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:37:17 AM

Can we find out how much the gubbermit made, so thy don't launder the money?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
opossum

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:50:32 AM

I read that itBit was one of the winners of the auction so one name is out there at least, i find it hard to believe they paid over market value when it was organized months in advance and they could have got the coins for quite a bit cheaper.
That does not seem like good business sense to me as a trader at least  but if they do not mind paying over the price then fair play but i would not have even bothered with the auction if they wanted that sort of money :/

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
   ▄████▀            ▀████▄
  █████                █████▄
 ███████████████████████████▄
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████        ██████        ████
 ████▄      ██████      ▄████
  ▀████     ██████    ▄████▀
    ▀████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████▀
      ▀▀██████████████▀▀
TIDEX

AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:52:26 AM

It shows that there is quite a high demand for BTC. So when are we going to see the next price rise?  Wink
M28MmickT

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

BTG CEO

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:55:37 AM

It shows that there is quite a high demand for BTC. So when are we going to see the next price rise?  Wink

Yes there is quite a bit of demand for bitcoin just check the exchanges for daily volume chine being the real big player. What do you mean when are we going to see a price rise is a rise from 230 to 300 not good enough?

I am very happy with the price rise shame we cannot please everyone Smiley

AT101ET
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:04:35 AM

Yes there is quite a bit of demand for bitcoin just check the exchanges for daily volume chine being the real big player. What do you mean when are we going to see a price rise is a rise from 230 to 300 not good enough?

I am very happy with the price rise shame we cannot please everyone Smiley

Not wasn't a direct rise from $230-$290. It's been rising gradually. A week back it was already $250-270 (before this info was released).
And yes I know that there's a lot of demand but it's not often that you see such high value buy orders. I'm happy with the price rise but I don't think that this is a price that represents bitcoins true value. 
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:05:42 AM

Can we find out how much the gubbermit made, so thy don't launder the money?
you wish...
 Cool
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:20:35 AM

Pretty concerning that two bidders still remain anonymous... But since this is quite a large quantity of BTC, and it wasn't bought under market prices makes me believe the buyers will hold on to their coins.
kulme

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:42:34 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2015, 06:04:18 AM by kulme

Wouldn't the other bidders on the coins also know the price of the coins ? Or was it private ?

Kulme
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:49:01 AM

Now, 50kBTC, THATS is truly a wall.
Probably we will never see 500 again in this year.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
AT101ET
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:27:08 AM

Pretty concerning that two bidders still remain anonymous... But since this is quite a large quantity of BTC, and it wasn't bought under market prices makes me believe the buyers will hold on to their coins.

Why is it concerning?
With such a large amount of BTC it would be near impossible to sell all at once for one price. As soon as a sell wall like that would hit exchanges I'm pretty sure we'd see a small change in the price. Ultimately they'd lose out so I wouldn't see the point in them doing that.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 12:18:58 PM

I think the price paid for by the bidders quoted by coindesk is calculated based on existing market price. Here I don't think they will reveal the actual amount being paid which kept everyone in the dark whether it is more or lower than prevailing market price. Anyway since the auction is over and bitcoin price still remains steady I presume those buyers will continue to hold on to their coins for now

AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 02:58:49 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/three-unnamed-bidders-win-latest-us-marshals-bitcoin-auction/

The US Marshals Service (USMS) has revealed that three bidders each took home a portion of the 50,000 BTC sold during its most recent bitcoin auction held 5th March.

The winnings were divided among the unnamed individuals, with the leading bidder claiming 27,000 BTC ($7.9m at press time). The remainder of the bitcoin was split among two individuals who took winnings of 20,000 BTC ($5.9m) and 3,000 BTC ($885,801), respectively.

A spokesperson for the USMS confirmed the totals via email, adding that the transfer of proceeds to the winners has now been finalized.

While no winning bidders have yet come forward, the trading desk at SecondMarket, the entrant that claimed the highest share of the 50,000 BTC sold in December’s auction, has publicly revealed it did not enter a winning bid.

Other known participants, including hedge fund Pantera Capital and investment management company Binary Financial, have yet to comment on the news publicly.

A final auction of the roughly 44,000 remaining bitcoins in possession by the government agency is expected to be held later this year.

That's really cheap. These whales are going to be billonaires if they resist the urge to sell for a couple of years.
gonedoggo

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:11:45 PM

1: Itbit exchange bought 3K. 1BdmMnKQ417EpUngAnJCYmjYmD9Cud9iZB

2: Cumberland Mining & Materials LLC (Syndicate) bought 27K, 2K sent directly to bitfinex for dumping. 1DPx2UJtwCQ3N8eGiuDoZSCB7x3rAPWcXw

3: Satoshi's Cousin bought 20K, still stay anonymity. 1EAPKSvouAkFJWr5HuNF6wrz4fCN2FBvaY

The bid price was around $220 to $250, lower than the market price
Beyonce

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

Surfbort.

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 03:22:59 PM

Why is it concerning?
With such a large amount of BTC it would be near impossible to sell all at once for one price. As soon as a sell wall like that would hit exchanges I'm pretty sure we'd see a small change in the price. Ultimately they'd lose out so I wouldn't see the point in them doing that.

It would be foolish of them to have bought this many coins only to dump. They'll very likely be keeping them to invest either directly or in some sort of bitcoin business or start up they have.

Bow down, bitches.
tadakaluri

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 04:20:23 PM

2: Cumberland Mining & Materials LLC (Syndicate) bought 27K, 2K sent directly to bitfinex for dumping. 1DPx2UJtwCQ3N8eGiuDoZSCB7x3rAPWcXw

3: Satoshi's Cousin bought 20K, still stay anonymity. 1EAPKSvouAkFJWr5HuNF6wrz4fCN2FBvaY

If these all BTC going for Dumping.......... The price may drop again.
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 04:29:13 PM

Source?
Like wtf, "Satoshi Cousin".

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: