Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 12:23:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekly loss of N% guaranteed - Enjoy perpetual loss with fixed Mh/s mining turds  (Read 14668 times)
streblo

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 07:06:59 PM

Bonds in the traditional finance industry come in many flavors. One such flavor, are so called catastrophe bonds which operate nothing like the more typical (fixed or floating) sovereign, muni, or corporate bonds.

Furthermore, not all (traditional finance industry) bonds have a maturity. Perpetual bonds, or perpetuities, have no maturity date; some of which are actively traded. For all intents and purposes, century or 100-year bonds might as well be a perpetual bond in terms of pricing.

I think at the crux of this discussion, is that mining bonds have some unique pricing model parameters, foremost of which is that mining bonds are short difficulty. On top of that, there are the traditional factors, such as exchange risk (e.g., BTCUSD rate), counter-party and default risk (i.e., GLBSE, issuer), and what I would call exploit risk (risk that Bitcoin, and the implementations thereof, are exploited). Of course, regular bond pricing constructs, such as interest rates and duration, are applicable as well, although the concept of the "risk-free rate" is less well-defined for bitcoins than for traditional fiat currencies.

TL;DR: Mining bonds are certainly bonds, though they are fundamentally new and come with new pricing models
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3247

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 07:19:31 PM

The main point that the OP makes is important - the value of 1 Mh/s is nearly guaranteed to drop over time. This is because as miners upgrade, more total Mh/s will be needed to get a constant (well, actually falling) amount of bitcoin.

Those disagreeing with the OP also make a good point: You can discount the falling value of Mh/s in order determine the real value of the bond, and compare that to the current price. I would like to make another point. In order to counteract the falling value of Mh/s, several miners are "upgrading" their bonds, increasing the Mh/s per bond. I don't consider these bonds to be "turds".

His point about "bonds" not being bonds is red herring. As long as everyone understands the terms of the security, it doesn't really matter what it is called.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
puffn

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 07:21:36 PM

Come on bob. Don't educate the masses, take advantage of them. I was thinking of issuing a bond too so I could take advantage of this. Smiley

Looking for safe diversification? YABIF: Good Returns, Low Fees, Low Risk.

GLBSE
Bitcointalk Page

I hold significant interest in
Bitcoin Mining Investments
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3247

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 07:31:17 PM

Just release a script that parses the GLBSE CSV file and calculates if one has actually made a loss or is still in the win-zone atm. with mining "bonds".
The GLBSE Chrome extension will do that for you.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
puffn

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 10:08:56 PM

The whole point behind what I am saying is that if you do a discounted cash flow based valuation of current mining stocks, you will see that without an upgrade in Mhash per share, they are only worth about .11-.12 btc per Mhash.

GLBSE
Bitcointalk Page

cuz0882

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 12:37:30 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2012, 12:59:12 AM by cuz0882

It's highly profitable even with the dividend returns likely lowering over time. Hydro bonds has been paying out almost 2.5% weekly. This will most likely increase when butterfly delivers the new ASIC's. I keep the price about $1.45 -$1.50 per mhash or currently .13 btc. Apparently you need to brush up on your math, because that is a highly profitable return rate. If you want your payouts to increase every week you need to reinvest some of your dividends. The same way miners reinvest into their farms. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Also calling something a bond or a share has little relevance. The contract is all that matters.

I must say this EskimoBob. You are the most annoying TROLL I have seen on this forum. If you can't figure out how a investment that gives a full return in a matter of months is profitable, there is little hope for you. You seem to be under the impression that by calling something a share, it will sprout a higher return rate. My mining equipment only earns so much. I basically charge 15% initially for maintaining equipment. Calling it a share or changing the contract is not share is not going to generate bitcoins out of this air. Bonds will remain profitable so long as mining is profitable and there is no reason to believe that will change.
puffn

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 01:55:31 AM

It's highly profitable even with the dividend returns likely lowering over time. Hydro bonds has been paying out almost 2.5% weekly. This will most likely increase when butterfly delivers the new ASIC's. I keep the price about $1.45 -$1.50 per mhash or currently .13 btc. Apparently you need to brush up on your math, because that is a highly profitable return rate. If you want your payouts to increase every week you need to reinvest some of your dividends. The same way miners reinvest into their farms. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Also calling something a bond or a share has little relevance. The contract is all that matters.

I must say this EskimoBob. You are the most annoying TROLL I have seen on this forum. If you can't figure out how a investment that gives a full return in a matter of months is profitable, there is little hope for you. You seem to be under the impression that by calling something a share, it will sprout a higher return rate. My mining equipment only earns so much. I basically charge 15% initially for maintaining equipment. Calling it a share or changing the contract is not share is not going to generate bitcoins out of this air. Bonds will remain profitable so long as mining is profitable and there is no reason to believe that will change.

Hydrobonds has an upgrade policy. Thanks for validating everything I said. I am more looking at YABMC. Reinvesting into something overvalued will only magnify your overall losses.

GLBSE
Bitcointalk Page

cytokine
Donator

Activity: 224

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 02:22:36 AM

OP is correct in his analysis, but this does not apply to every mining bond. Some are fantastic, but the vast majority are indeed, as he puts it, "turds."

The trick is to have a method of buying gems and selling turds. It's not rocket science, but I would never, ever invest a penny into any market without a well defined objective investment strategy.
cuz0882

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 05:26:40 AM

OP is correct in his analysis, but this does not apply to every mining bond. Some are fantastic, but the vast majority are indeed, as he puts it, "turds."

The trick is to have a method of buying gems and selling turds. It's not rocket science, but I would never, ever invest a penny into any market without a well defined objective investment strategy.

Hi Cuz
About those HYDRO.BONDS - can I buy some at pre IPO price?

Thank you.

"It hurts to see how people, with close to 0 investment experience are getting ripped of by buying into those perpetual turds (aka this X MH/s  shit you guys sell, while calling it bonds).
Turds make money only to issuer and everyone else is getting ripped off. How hard is it for you to understand that what you are doing is actually really disgusting? How low can you go?
It's my civic duty to make my fellow bitcoin enthusiast understand that they are getting ripped of by sociopaths (con-artist, thieves).
You know I am right.
If you like to issue a true bond, start by reading what bond is and how it works. This turd bull shit has to go."

He's pretty much talking about all of them. He's been posting this crap in all the threads including mine. He's just trying to piss people off. First he wants to buy them, then calls it bs. He's a idiot.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 07:47:47 AM

Hm, I got an unspecified error there... how can I debug this properly and let you know the necessary info?

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 08:42:59 AM

cuz0882, no need to get personal and start trolling the thread. Relax, it's nothing personal (unless you feel guilty and this causes you get mad. BTW, this is actually a good reaction -  there is still hope Wink   

BTW, I like your upgrade path because you have no additional rip off fee attached to it. Interesting, how you brought the fiat into this equation but this is is irrelevant.

OK, lets look at the HYDRO.BONDS
About 4 weeks ago you managed to get the outstanding bonds number close to 700. It was trading at 1.9 or close to it.
As of today, your bonds market value has lost about 34,2% and dropped to 1.25. Lets not forget,  that the lucky turd holder has earned impressive 0,15 BTC in dividends (no pun intended). Now,  -0.65+0,15=-0.49 BTC. This equal to about 25% loss in 4 weeks. Impressive, I must say. Impressive indeed. If difficulty makes another jump, the loss will grow and earnings will shrink even more.
In those 4 weeks, your dividends per bond have lost 0,00262597 BTC, (- 6,51%)

BTW, I have one question: "Do you understand, that your hydro power at  X cents per KWh has absolutely NOTHING to do with how many bitcoins 10 Mh/s can crank out and it has no benefit for bond holders? For shareholders, yes.

Back to the topic at hand.
Looks like some, who have done simple math, do agree with me that outlook is not good and once invented "new bond" is not what it used to be. Nothing is written in stone. BTC can take another hit and difficulty will be back where it was 6 months ago. BFL can go under and ASIC hysteria is over. Anything can happen.
I am sure that most bond issuers will be scrambling to call the outstanding bonds and buying back the debt for pennies.

For some of you, sorry but you hyperboles are bull shit and not lets waste time on those.  Wink

Furthermore, not all (traditional finance industry) bonds have a maturity. Perpetual bonds, or perpetuities, have no maturity date; some of which are actively traded. For all intents and purposes, century or 100-year bonds might as well be a perpetual bond in terms of pricing.

If you read the article, take a look at consol's too. I bet you understand, why perpetual mining turds can not really be compared to bank and gov notes. Wink

I think at the crux of this discussion, is that mining bonds have some unique pricing model parameters, foremost of which is that mining bonds are short difficulty.

This is very elegantly put. Smiley Thank you. For others, if you are unsure what is the meaning of this is, let me explain: You make a bet, that difficulty will go lower (and hopefully stay there) from the moment you made the bet. 

On top of that, there are the traditional factors, such as exchange risk (e.g., BTCUSD rate), counter-party and default risk (i.e., GLBSE, issuer), and what I would call exploit risk (risk that Bitcoin, and the implementations thereof, are exploited). Of course, regular bond pricing constructs, such as interest rates and duration, are applicable as well, although the concept of the "risk-free rate" is less well-defined for bitcoins than for traditional fiat currencies.

TL;DR: Mining bonds are certainly bonds, though they are fundamentally new and come with new pricing models

I'll use this opportunity to simplify a typical mining turd contract (yes, there are exceptions and btw, "most" in not the same as "all".)
Contract:
1) You give me N bitcoins and I'll buy hardware with this -  you have 100% risk, I have 0 - it's all your money.
2) I'll promise to pay you a share of the income what ever N Mh/s can produce. I have 0 risk, you, dear investor have 100%-what ever the N Mh/s managed to produce.
3) I can issue new bonds any time I like to and buy (or not) new equipment with this money) - 0 risk for miner, bond holder get's it all
4) I can call back the bond at some arbitrary price. -  all the risk is at the shoulders of the bond holder, Miner has committed to nothing.
... and so on

So far, am I right or am I wrong?

Yes, it is a contract. Is this a bond (loan) contract? No, it is not. BTW, this is why I started this thread. I think the terms are crap and calling it bond is confusing the issue.
First I thought that maybe FRN fits, but not really. FRN's use combination of floating and fixed rate - and issuer guarantees to pay the coupon an buy the notes back at some predetermined date and price.

Please, keep those "if you do not like it, do not buy it" comments to yourself. This is not kindergarten Wink

After some of you got really pissed off and try to make me look like I fool, do I still believe that most of the mining bonds are actually turds? Yes I do.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 10:08:23 AM

No, I have not asked for increase in div's every week. Smiley
I am talking about how bonds work in the real world -  usually principal is preserved and dividends are fixed to a some % from par value.
I am not so much against those strange mining bonds contracts pers se, but more  against that they are called bonds.
It actually is important, how you call something. Especially when the word used has a very specific meaning in the real world - secure investment, (yes, there is lots of junk out there but still, bond are considered safe) with guaranteed income form coupon -  preserve capital and generates regular income (usually tax free, if you go for gov. issues)

If I want to share your risks, I'll buy equity in your mining farm. If I want fixed steady income, I'll look for a bond. Do you see the difference?
You go belly up, at least bondholders are (because it is debt in your books) paid before owners of equity and so on. Stop confusing investment in equity and investment in debt.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
cuz0882

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 11:09:19 AM

No, I have not asked for increase in div's every week. Smiley
I am talking about how bonds work in the real world -  usually principal is preserved and dividends are fixed to a some % from par value.
I am not so much against those strange mining bonds contracts pers se, but more  against that they are called bonds.
It actually is important, how you call something. Especially when the word used has a very specific meaning in the real world - secure investment, (yes, there is lots of junk out there but still, bond are considered safe) with guaranteed income form coupon -  preserve capital and generates regular income (usually tax free, if you go for gov. issues)

If I want to share your risks, I'll buy equity in your mining farm. If I want fixed steady income, I'll look for a bond. Do you see the difference?
You go belly up, at least bondholders are (because it is debt in your books) paid before owners of equity and so on. Stop confusing investment in equity and investment in debt.

I'm not confused with what your saying. Bond holders are guaranteed a hashrate instead of a dollar amount. Removing the word "bond" from the contract changes nothing. Dividends and ownership would still be the same. Clearly no one is going to guarantee a fixed return on mining, it would make no sense from a business stand point. There is no golden rule that says a bonds are only secure debt investments.

Bond holders are paid before owners. It's written right into the contract.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 01:18:58 PM

BTW, I like your upgrade path because you have no additional rip off fee attached to it. Interesting, how you brought the fiat into this equation but this is is irrelevant.
Really?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88756.0 - and still no real counter arguments so far!

Just wait for the crash down to 5 USD, then suddenly "x MH/s contracts" will become more attractive again.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
cuz0882

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 07:55:32 PM

Now that you have got back and changed all your replies I'm just going to write my response here. When you purchase a single for $600 its not going to be worth $1200 because the price of bitcoin goes up. The bonds have not lost value in dollars. When it comes to saying power prices are irrelevant to bond holders. It's always better for a company to have lower expenses.
EskimoBob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 10:29:06 PM

Now that you have got back and changed all your replies I'm just going to write my response here. When you purchase a single for $600 its not going to be worth $1200 because the price of bitcoin goes up. The bonds have not lost value in dollars. When it comes to saying power prices are irrelevant to bond holders. It's always better for a company to have lower expenses.

stop trolling boy, I have changed nothing in my replies. What if I did not use US dollars to buy my BTC and I have no use for USD at all?
Stop fooling yourself! If I invest my BTC and like to preserve invested capital (my BTC) then this is what I like to see happening.
You can always pull another fiat currency out of your ass, after you have lost 25% of your BTC, and tell yourself: "bb.. bbu... bbub.. but in currency X, I actually made money"
In this case, please ask yourself:  How much would I have earned,  if I did not buy a those turds in the first place?  Yes, those same ones that wiped out 1/4 of your BTC holdings?
What's next? "Bbb.. bbb... but BTC can lose its value...." defence?

LOL

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 10:36:12 PM

stop trolling boy, I have changed nothing in my replies. What if I did not use US dollars to buy my BTC and I have no use for USD at all?
Stop fooling yourself! If I invest my BTC and like to preserve invested capital (my BTC) then this is what I like to see happening.
You can always pull another fiat currency out of your ass, after you have lost 25% of your BTC, and tell yourself: "bb.. bbu... bbub.. but in currency X, I actually made money"
In this case, please ask yourself:  How much would I have earned,  if I did not buy a those turds in the first place?  Yes, those same ones that wiped out 1/4 of your BTC holdings?

LOL

Buying mining bonds is shorting BTC as others have posted. Something that might be useful is if a mining company started that let you invest fiat and earn btc. But then the SEC would be on your ass like a fly on shit.

cuz0882

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 11:09:43 PM

In this case, please ask yourself:  How much would I have earned,  if I did not buy a those turds in the first place?  Yes, those same ones that wiped out 1/4 of your BTC holdings?

LOL

If your want your investment to follow the value of btc then keep it in btc. Mining equipment has always been valued in dollars just like your house your car and everything else. The price of bitcoin does not effect the value of mining equipment. It's still valued at X dollars. Butterfly is not going to sell singles for $300 dollars because the price of bitcoin doubled. This is all common sense.
racerguy

Activity: 270

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 11:54:12 PM

If you want to increase your real wealth mining shares are awesome, if you check your numbers you'll find nearly all bonds have increased in real world value though maybe decreased when priced in bitcoins, what you're forgetting is that if the price of bitcoin crashes mining bonds will probably maintain their real world purchasing power and still payout a nice weekly dividend whilst storing your wealth in just bitcoins will net you a huge loss.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 12:03:23 AM

The OP is completely nonsensical.

Buying mining equipment has two components - choosing and operating hardware, and speculating on the future of price/difficulty ratio.

Having these two components as a bundle is inefficient.

Mining bonds allow each component to be carried out most efficiently - one side buys bonds thus investing in the concept of mining profitability without having to physically operate hardware, and the other side uses the money to buy equipment without taking speculative risk.

The OP is right.  You are making the mistake that he pointed out.  It looks like he has facts on his side.   These instruments may be efficient (for the seller??) but that does not make them BONDS.  A bond has a specific meaning, and no matter how many times it is used wrong, that does not make it right. 

I am not commenting on the usefulness of the instruments, just the terminology.  They are not bonds.  Calling them such makes them sound much safer then they really are. 

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: