Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 07:23:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BIG Problem, can't acces my cold wallet.dat file  (Read 1421 times)
Furio (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 07:53:32 AM

It seems my encryption software let me down, about one month ago I placed 5 btc into cold storage, by generating a wallet.dat with my client while not on internet. I changed the password, and saved this to my file with all my passwords.

I can't find the password back, so it seems it hasn't been saved Sad

I thought, well maybe I did use one of my generic passwords, sadly no. Tried everything, recovered files with all sorts of tools, even thought I got lucky by funding a recent wordpad file with a random password, but sadly not the right one...

I'm out of options... But it seems to happen daily that people get robbed out of their well encrypted hotwallets, so it must be possible to recover my 5 btc. Does anyone know what to do, or know anyone who knows what to do?

Much appreciated!

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 08:09:56 AM

It seems my encryption software let me down, about one month ago I placed 5 btc into cold storage, by generating a wallet.dat with my client while not on internet. I changed the password, and saved this to my file with all my passwords.

Do you have a backup before this? Do you remember the old password?

Do you remember anything about the password? If so, try this thread -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.0

I thought, well maybe I did use one of my generic passwords, sadly no. Tried everything, recovered files with all sorts of tools, even thought I got lucky by funding a recent wordpad file with a random password, but sadly not the right one...

I'm out of options... But it seems to happen daily that people get robbed out of their well encrypted hotwallets, so it must be possible to recover my 5 btc. Does anyone know what to do, or know anyone who knows what to do?

Much appreciated!

If someone gets robbed out of a well encrypted wallet its usually because they unknowingly installed a trojan/key logger.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 08:57:10 AM

Try this service
http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/
Anillos2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:05:09 AM

It's a good idea to write passwords on paper.

Also, paperwallets are useful for long term savings.

Furio (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:27:38 AM

IF your password isn't too long / you remember anything about your password, you still can try use bruteforce
Check here for more info : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170694.0

Or you can try some service to hack your wallet.dat, but they will take 10% fee Sad
Check here for more info : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=717334.0

Thanks for all the help, 10% sounds fair too me, cost alot of power I guess Smiley

Furio (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:29:21 AM

Do you have a backup before this? Do you remember the old password?

Do you remember anything about the password? If so, try this thread -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.0

Much appreciated!

If someone gets robbed out of a well encrypted wallet its usually because they unknowingly installed a trojan/key logger.

Thanks for your help, It's purely the passphrace for my client, and no I don't have a back up. I have a back up offcourse, but because my password somehow didn't save in my regular file, my back doesn't have it too Sad

TheBtcBank

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 05:04:54 PM

if u still have the wallet file. its possible to recover it by a professional
Furio (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 05:45:35 PM

I have the wallet file offcourse, and I see my 5 btc Smiley. How exactly, talked to multiple people, they all say it would take decades with brute force if you don't have a clue of the password and it's totally random, maybe you know something or someone?

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4681

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:45:39 PM

You are incorrect.

If it has a weak password, or if he can remember a significant portion of the password, then it *might* be possible to use a brute force algorithm to crack the password.

If the password is strong and he can't remember a significant portion of it, then the bitcoins are permanently lost.

onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:49:25 PM

you may try btcrecover

it does not use the daemon, it tries to crack the wallet.dat directly - that way its much faster.

https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover

edit: atm i am trying to crack a password for my friend.. he told me most of his password but 12cores have calculated for 4days now - doesnt seem good ;( (DAMN... why did i tell him "use a secure password its money")

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:24:38 PM

You are incorrect.

If it has a weak password, or if he can remember a significant portion of the password, then it *might* be possible to use a brute force algorithm to crack the password.

If the password is strong and he can't remember a significant portion of it, then the bitcoins are permanently lost.

I would agree all depends on your password.  Longer more complex password it is likely gone forever or until some day far in future we have a lot more power.

You most likely will use a few GPU's to try to recover it, if weak sure it will work.  But again if you used a proper password its gone most likely forever.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2015, 06:08:40 AM

Find yourself a good hypnotist, I hear regression therapy can work wonders in cases of lost memory  Cheesy
Seriously though, I looks like your memory block is induced by panic/fear that you gonna lose the BTC, the more you try to force the memory the less likely you are to succeed. The memory of you typing in the new password can't be a complete blank, it's somewhere inside your brain and you probably can get to it if you relax. Good luck!
Furio (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 07:10:32 AM

Find yourself a good hypnotist, I hear regression therapy can work wonders in cases of lost memory  Cheesy
Seriously though, I looks like your memory block is induced by panic/fear that you gonna lose the BTC, the more you try to force the memory the less likely you are to succeed. The memory of you typing in the new password can't be a complete blank, it's somewhere inside your brain and you probably can get to it if you relax. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip, I still have a bit of hope left that it will surface. Yet the only options are a typo or not saving of my random password, I hope the first. I will use one of the servvices as soon as I have some time to extract the data needed from wallet file. If it doesnt help I will just have to wait untill the cracking power is significantly more Sad

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 12:42:33 AM

IF your password isn't too long / you remember anything about your password, you still can try use bruteforce
Check here for more info : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170694.0

Or you can try some service to hack your wallet.dat, but they will take 10% fee Sad
Check here for more info : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=717334.0

Thanks for all the help, 10% sounds fair too me, cost alot of power I guess Smiley

I'm actually surprised they'd only ask for 10%...

But keep in mind that if you let ANYONE else to your coins, you never know what's going to happen to them. They might return your 90% or they might not.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 07:18:35 AM

-snip-

But keep in mind that if you let ANYONE else to your coins, you never know what's going to happen to them. They might return your 90% or they might not.

Welsh is using a method that makes sure they can figure out the password, but not access the private keys once they got it. Similar to walletrecoveryservice. Thus its pretty safe if you follow the instructions. Payment usually works via escrow as well, because once the customer has the password they could just run.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 06:19:57 PM

-snip-

Welsh is using a method that makes sure they can figure out the password, but not access the private keys once they got it. Similar to walletrecoveryservice. Thus its pretty safe if you follow the instructions. Payment usually works via escrow as well, because once the customer has the password they could just run.

Also, from walletrecoveryservices FAQ:
"Fortunately, the design of the bitcoin wallet is such that you can send us just part of the wallet information. The part you send us allows us to decrypt the wallet, without giving us any opportunity to steal your money."

More technical explanation:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240779.msg2555111#msg2555111
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: