Bitcoin Forum
September 28, 2024, 04:18:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiat investment loans backed by bitcoins - a solution ?  (Read 880 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 11:11:50 AM

Borrowing bitcoins and converting them to fiat to invest in a business is a bad idea because of the exchange  risk that bitcoins may shoot up in value against the fiat and you can never pay it back.

One solution I came up with is to place bitcoins in a low interest bearing account of a third party as escrow. You would then receive USD to the value of those coins to invest. The coins earn bitcoin interest in the meantime which can be used to offset fiat interest payments or increase your collateral backing the loan.

To do this needs a lender who deals with fiat denominated loans who will accept btc collateral.

If you then invest the fiat in a business you essentially have twice the collateral to back the loan.

Alternatively  you could do this through the same person (if you trust them) where they pay interest on the btc which they can use to offset fiat repayments on the loan which might mean you dont need to pay fiat at all - the bitcoin interest covers your repayments so you have more fiat cashflow. The main thing is to not sell the bitcoins but use them as collateral.

If only fiat banks accepted btc as collateral!

I have a future glbse project called Alpacastocks https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=59961.0 I was thinking this model could be used for. If we can find a lending partner for the fiat the IPO would raise the bitcoin collateral needed. Thoughts ?

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 09:49:24 AM

Perhaps this could be a p2p lending site like the old prosper.me where people lend fiat to other people who have deposited bitcoins on the site and in return get some interest ?

brendio

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 10:43:24 AM

See the deal I did with Btc4Domains. It's structured pretty much as you describe it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: